Talk

Advanced search

Aibu about this trend for young girls

(204 Posts)
Lime19 Sat 22-Apr-17 08:33:48

I keep seeing teen girls about in my town wearing super short tight dresses (usually black), sometimes skirt and crop top with lots of flesh on show. The dresses are made out of material similar to leggings. The bit that gets me though is they wear it with trainers! Sports trainers!

It looks horrible in my opinion. Is this a trend? Where did it come from?

Maybe I'm getting old... I'm pretty sure my mum didn't get the trouser skirt combo I used to wear. grin

It's just I don't get the "nice" dress paired with trainers. To me it's like wearing heels with jogging pants... not a good look.

AllTheWittyNamesAreGone Sat 22-Apr-17 08:35:11

It's not new, Lily Allen used to wear trainers with dresses to look less rich girl and I used to in the grungy 90s

blueskyinmarch Sat 22-Apr-17 08:36:11

Really? It is just clothes. With sensible shoes. It looks fine. That's how my DD2 goes to clubs - tiny dress and trainers. It makes sense to me.

XiCi Sat 22-Apr-17 08:36:55

We used to do this in the late 80s/ early 90s so not a new thing. I'm tickled at your horror of 'sports trainers' grin

Lime19 Sat 22-Apr-17 08:38:54

my trainers are little white stuff denim ones. They could be worn with a dress but I'd never wear my running trainers with a dress. I would look really stupid!

iklboo Sat 22-Apr-17 08:39:25

They're a sight bloody comfier than trying to stagger around on four inch heels with a quarter inch base.

ToffeeCaramel Sat 22-Apr-17 08:41:49

I've not seen this. I suppose trainers are better for your feet than if they were wearing it with high heels. (Although I'm sure they aren't doing it for foot health reasons.)

Edsheeranalbumparty Sat 22-Apr-17 08:42:18

Omg.....teenagers? Wearing......Trainers? shock

As teenage trends go it's not exactly outrageous is it?

ToffeeCaramel Sat 22-Apr-17 08:43:05

In the 80s i remember puffball skirts and stripey tights. Must have looked ridiculous.

XiCi Sat 22-Apr-17 08:45:38

The trend at the moment is for Adidas superstar (as in the 90s). I'm not sure whether you consider them sports trainers or not? And yes, if clubbing is your thing it's far far better than to be staggering around on crippling 6 inch heels for the night

KateDaniels2 Sat 22-Apr-17 08:46:15

I think wearing trainers is far more sensibe that the high heels i used to wear as a teen.

No one is expecting you to wear them so i dont see the issue.

justmeee Sat 22-Apr-17 08:46:42

I have superstars but I agree would look odd with a dress

Lime19 Sat 22-Apr-17 08:47:04

It's the trainer/"nice dress" combo. It just doesn't look right to me. It's like when you see people commuting to work in their suits and trainers. They have proper shoes at the office.

I think in years to come this will be looked back on like the skirt/trouser trend of the 90s. Silly!

I like sports wear and like nice dresses but together no!

RJnomore1 Sat 22-Apr-17 08:47:56

I wear my gazelles with dresses and I'm erm not a teenager

Lime19 Sat 22-Apr-17 08:48:09

The girls I see are not clubbing, they are just walking round town after school or on Saturday lunch times etc.

TimeToMoveOnUp Sat 22-Apr-17 08:48:15

I like it. Girls wearing comfortable practical shoes like boys get to wear? Why would we want them to wear heels? p.s. Fuck off daily mail

FishInAWetSuitAndFlippers Sat 22-Apr-17 08:50:04

In my day it was a black vest top, a tiny tartan skirt and black and white platform trainers.

Oh how I cringe now.

MamaPuffin Sat 22-Apr-17 08:50:39

Meh. When I was a teen, we used to go out in nice dresses with trainers. We thought the contrast was fun. I don't look back on it with any shame at all, and it was a damn sight more comfortable than heels.

So I say YABU.

busyboysmum Sat 22-Apr-17 08:52:08

I always wore doc martens with pretty dresses. Never wore uncomfortable high heels. To me it was all about comfort and not being crippled by your footwear.

Am now 47 and my feet are still in good shape.

XiCi Sat 22-Apr-17 08:52:08

Did you know that the skirt/trouser thing is making a comeback? Just to blow your mind a little more grin

SuburbanRhonda Sat 22-Apr-17 08:52:41

I think in years to come this will be looked back on like the skirt/trouser trend of the 90s. Silly!

Are you Donald Trump?

SomewhereNow Sat 22-Apr-17 08:53:20

DD14 wears exactly this when they go to the local under 18s club night as do all her mates. I am only slightly envious that they can pull off a £6 Primark dress and still look amazing. I think the trainers actually tone down the whole look - with heels it would be a bit much at their age as well as being completely impractical.

Let's face it, how teens choose to dress has always baffled the older generation - that's sort of the point!

XiCi Sat 22-Apr-17 08:54:15

Yes RJ, gazelles are my trainer of choice with dresses too, and I'm definitely not a teenager either!!

TeaQuiero Sat 22-Apr-17 08:54:51

You're getting upset about trainers with dresses and 'flesh on show'?

Were you born in the 1890s?

Did you wear floor length frocks with Peter Pan collars when you were a girl?

There are plenty of other things to clutch your pearls over.

pilates Sat 22-Apr-17 08:57:09

Much better look than stilettos and a mini dress.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now