Talk

Advanced search

To resell the same items on Facebook sites?

(26 Posts)
Bethan2 Sat 22-Apr-17 08:24:44

Morning all!

I have recently joined several local Facebook selling sites and found some great bargains on pre-loved baby things. My son is 7mo and I initially got him some clothes in his size and future sizes, but then I thought I could make some money buying things on there and re-selling them on eBay for more money.

However I have now been put off by lots of eBay horror stories about buyers complaining about items not arriving, the time taken to list and post etc and eBay taking fees. Also I have just missed my local NCT sale 😮.

So now I am thinking ok, can I maybe split up the bundles / pick out the best bits and resell them on the same Facebook sites for a bit more than what I paid for them? Would that be really cheeky or are they now mine to do what I wish?

Thanks!

MrsSkeffington Sat 22-Apr-17 08:26:55

People don't like it - they'll flame you

steppedonlego Sat 22-Apr-17 08:28:31

YABU! How cheeky! I used to sell my daughters clothes on buying and selling Facebook sites for much less than they were worth as I felt I was doing another mum a favour, and buy clothes in lovely condition for less than they were worth in return. I would be completely disgusted if I sold you things only to see you selling them on at a higher price, and don't be surprised if you were kicked out of groups and gain a bad reputation for doing so.

WellieWanger Sat 22-Apr-17 08:29:50

Don't do it. Someone did that to me. I was absolutely fuming. Don't be so cheap

londonrach Sat 22-Apr-17 08:29:52

Yours to do what you want to. I tend to buy, use the items (baby swing, walker and soon the jumperoo..she growing up too quick) and resell it for the same price i paid for it. Mind you in my case its months possibly a year since i bought it so not always totally sure how much i paid for it. Not sure about changing extra but thats your choice. Admin might remove you if you buy and resell on like that.

whirlygirly Sat 22-Apr-17 08:32:05

I think you'd be daft to do that on the same site unless you leave a considerable time gap.

I feel similarly about people flogging on things like concert tickets at profit. Yes they're within their rights to do it but it doesn't sit well.

AConvivialHost Sat 22-Apr-17 08:34:20

I'm on a number of Facebook selling sites and people who purchase on the sites and then sell on EBay for a profit are soon found out and kicked off the page by Admin. Personally I think YABU.

PenelopeFlintstone Sat 22-Apr-17 08:36:49

None of the fb selling sites that I know have people selling to do other mums a favour. Everyone's just trying to make some money. You could buy in your own name, mix things up a bit and then sell under an alias.

charlestonchaplin Sat 22-Apr-17 08:40:59

steppedon I don't think those secondhand clothes are worth very much even if they're in a great condition.

People generally sell things on these sites for as much as they think they can get. If they really wanted to be charitable they'd give them away on Freecycle, so selling on shouldn't be a problem. However, people being people, they will HATE the fact that you've made more out of their item than they have, OP.

fannydaggerz Sat 22-Apr-17 08:46:02

No don't do it. You will get kicked out the group.

steppedonlego Sat 22-Apr-17 08:46:54

charlston I must be a member of much kinder groups groups then, as I am talking nearly new clothes at 10p a pop etc, a lot of stuff even given away. I think the relative value of second hand clothes really depends on the size and how often they're worn, new baby to under a year old stuff is so lightly used that it is practically new, and when they're from quality brands I usually think a third of the original price is fair, however a lot of people sell for less than this to help out other mums.

Tiptoethr0ughthetulips Sat 22-Apr-17 08:48:32

Just wait for your next local baby sale.

Hulababy Sat 22-Apr-17 08:52:26

The FB sales group Im in would have you reported and barred from the group. Most have similar types of thoughts in this. Sell for what you paid but not more.
If you must make a profit then sell elsewhere.

charlestonchaplin Sat 22-Apr-17 08:54:45

If you're practically giving things away then that's different. Why anyone would bother asking 10p an item I don't know, unless it's some sort of psychological ruse to ensure people turn up to get their great bargain.

EsmeeMerlin Sat 22-Apr-17 08:55:01

The Facebook groups I am in will immediately kick you off and you will be viewed badly. It is seen as very cheeky to buy something and then immediately sell it on the same group for a higher price.

If you want to make a profit then you need to sell elsewhere.

BikeRunSki Sat 22-Apr-17 08:56:12

Sell them on, but use a different route! Or leave 6 months or more.,

londonrach Sat 22-Apr-17 09:06:49

As othes have said clothes are vvvv cheap or free on the selling sites unless its jojo or joules but even then its cheaper than ebay. No way can you make any money. Its brilliant at getting clothes though. Just got the next stage of vests...16 for £5. She was selling them for months. Pleased as cheap way of clothing dd. Just be aware op you wont get ebay prices.

NiceToesNaughtyToes Sat 22-Apr-17 09:56:21

Good luck! I've had to give so much baby stuff away on these groups in the past as people turn their noses up at second hand clothes where I live. I've tried to sell big boxes/ bin bags crammed with lovely, hardly worn clothes for £5 and they just don't sell.

Also, I find if you put up bundles with a set price, people will pick them apart and ask for certain items. This, coupled with people deciding 3 days later that they can't collect as they don't drive, can be very infuriating!! grin

MovingOnUpMovingOnOut Sat 22-Apr-17 10:00:14

If you're planning to buy things and sell them on for a profit that's a business and you may need to register with HMRC and pay tax on your profits. If you can be bothered to do that then great.

If your planning to buy things for personal use and then sell them on that's different.

So your intention matters a lot.

Bethan2 Sat 22-Apr-17 22:09:39

Thanks so much for all your replies! Will look for another place to sell them 😀

LemonBreeland Sat 22-Apr-17 22:16:03

You would definitely get kicked off our local site for that.

Wow2806 Sun 23-Apr-17 00:36:39

My philosophy on this and I buy lots of used goods

When its time for me to move those goods on.... I got a bargain and someone else should to..

So I either sell for less than half I paid or advertise on free sites or give to charity shops depending on what it is - kind of like pay it forward

Just think its fair treat folk as you would like to be treated

If i saw someone trying to make a £ out of something I had sold nominally of given I would be miffed and and just think your a ^^******

PenelopeFlintstone Sun 23-Apr-17 04:06:17

If i saw someone trying to make a £ out of something I had sold nominally of given I would be miffed and and just think your arsehole
Well, you could think that, or you could wonder if they need money for their heating bill.

Bethan2 Sun 23-Apr-17 06:49:56

That's it - I am trying to make some money as my maternity pay finishes next month and I am not eligible for anything from the state...

Millybingbong Sun 23-Apr-17 06:54:12

It is a lot of work for very little return.

You do know maternity pay comes from the state don't you? It is comparatively generous.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now