Talk

Advanced search

To overreact about this comment?

(16 Posts)

So have 9mo twins, today I sent him a video of one of the twins crawling but then tonight DP decided to comment on how I have a 'favourite twin' but it didn't matter as one 'loves him more anyway'
I have been rather upset by this comment but he thinks I'm making a big deal over this. Am I just being over sensitive?

19lottie82 Fri 21-Apr-17 21:55:26

I'm sure he's only joking. Relax.

Thanks, perhaps I'm just being overly sensitive.

Perola Fri 21-Apr-17 21:59:12

Tone of voice matters. Humour is in the delivery. I can set how that comment could be upsetting - but maybe he genuinely can't?

bigchris Fri 21-Apr-17 21:59:54

That would annoy me too, tell him not to say silly things again

category12 Fri 21-Apr-17 22:01:13

It's a stupid thing to joke about.

Xmasbaby11 Fri 21-Apr-17 22:02:35

We joke about this with our two girls .. 'which is your favourite today?'. I don't think it's a problem unless you are genuinely worried one is favoured?

mainlywingingit Fri 21-Apr-17 22:03:23

Possibly he has a favourite twin and is deflecting/normalising this onto you?

Odd comment

Bellaposy Fri 21-Apr-17 22:04:33

I think you're being over sensitive. Sounds very light hearted to me.

BrutusMcDogface Fri 21-Apr-17 22:04:53

Xmasbaby- we do this, too. Dp and I will often say "x isn't my favourite any more". It's totally TOTALLY said in jest, as we both know that we both adore each of our dc unconditionally and equally.

So, I think he was joking, and you need to let it wash over you.

picklemepopcorn Fri 21-Apr-17 22:07:38

I'm your favourite is a joke in this house too.

upwardsandonwards33 Fri 21-Apr-17 22:24:31

Very odd thing to say, even to think such a thing is odd. As pp said, ask him not to spout such nonsense.

BoomBoomsCousin Fri 21-Apr-17 22:24:58

We have twins and I have joked like that when they were v. young. I also joke that they are DH's children when they do something that is less than helpful and My children when they are shining stars (DH does the same but in reverse). It is all entirely light hearted and most definitely not meant. But these things are context dependent. The question is - do you really think he thinks you have a favourite? Do you really think he thinks you aren't a good parent (which is what this seems to boil down to)? Because if you get that impression from him sometimes you aren't really over reacting, though the focus of your upset should probably change.

But if you don't think he means what he says, and there isn't an undercurrent of criticism in his comments, then it's just a joke that fell flat. And it's kind of pointless being upset at that. Twins are hard enough without falling out over something that means nothing.

Herschellmum Fri 21-Apr-17 22:27:32

I have twins, when they were young I was so obsessed with equal treatment because I never wanted to favour one or anyone think that, so would have been annoyed, however now I would just laugh it off.

ScarlettFreestone Fri 21-Apr-17 22:29:08

I have twins. I wouldn't find any of that funny.

ThreeLeggedHaggis Sat 22-Apr-17 01:03:50

Impossible to say who WBU. It's dependent on tone and intent, which none of us can gauge.

But now he knows it upset you, he would be unreasonable to say it again!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now