Talk

Advanced search

To make DD have the underwear she wants for her birthday?

(59 Posts)
birthdaygiftdd1 Fri 21-Apr-17 20:27:30

DD is 13 and wants this underwear that comes to £40 shock for 2 sets. AIBU to make her get this for her birthday? I will buy her regular M&S, etc. when she needs it, but £40 is ridiculous.

offblackeggshell Fri 21-Apr-17 20:28:42

YANBU. Or she can buy it herself with birthday money.

AndNoneForGretchenWieners Fri 21-Apr-17 20:29:57

I agree. I buy DS his expensive boxers for birthdays or Christmas (he likes Ralph Lauren and Calvin Klein). If he needs them outside of those times he either buys his own or I get him boxers from M&S, Next or Tokyo Laundry.

ChocolateButton15 Fri 21-Apr-17 20:31:35

What! Is it Victoria secret pink? Yanbu!

Ellisandra Fri 21-Apr-17 20:32:49

I pay more than £20 for each set of underwear - and that's buying outlet for the one brand that doesn't leave armpit welts shock

So if she's 30F with weirdly shallow underarms, and you can afford it, I say buy them!

If I could afford them for her, it would come down to whether it was comfort or fashion. The latter - birthday. The former - I'd consider it.

birthdaygiftdd1 Fri 21-Apr-17 20:33:09

It's Calvin Klein and it's the kids range shockshock far too expensive. I can't understand why she wants it. Apparently it's good "for PE days" hmm

WhenTheDragonsCame Fri 21-Apr-17 20:36:09

My DD1 wanted Calvin Klien underwear so she got one pair of pants in her stocking last Christmas. £20 for one pair of pants shock

ragz134 Fri 21-Apr-17 20:38:05

£20 for ONE? Wow...

ColdTattyWaitingForSummer Fri 21-Apr-17 20:40:14

Most teens I know do wear nicer underwear on Pe day.. Changing in front of others is awkward, that makes it easier. That said, I buy ds his hollister boxers for Christmas or birthdays. In fact he now asks for them!

PodgeBod Fri 21-Apr-17 20:46:00

Ellisandra can I ask what brand you use? I have a similar problem.

Ollivander84 Fri 21-Apr-17 20:48:10

I would. I was a 30E at that age and my poor mum spent a lot on bravissimo for me!

FurryLittleTwerp Fri 21-Apr-17 20:48:18

"for PE days" & there's me thinking it was some sort of bounce-minimising fancy kit but no, just in case someone else notices & judges hmm

BlackHillsofDakota Fri 21-Apr-17 20:49:24

I do think it's a thing, my dd has Calvin Klein and also jack wills. The jack wills were £25 for a pack of 3 knickers and £18 for one crop top and the Calvin Klein were £28 for a pack of 2 crop tops and £20 for two pairs of knickers shockand the Calvin Klein aren't even than good quality, a couple of the knickers have come apart at the seams.
However I am a sucker and did buy them for her so I can't really complain!

TheFairyCaravan Fri 21-Apr-17 20:50:23

YANBU I buy our kids (22 &20) Calvin's for Christmas. They wash well and last for ages.

I fancy some for me because the men's ones are so soft, but I can't part with the money.

Justmuddlingalong Fri 21-Apr-17 20:53:58

When she realises that you're not going to just buy it, except as her present, you might find she's not so keen after all. But holy shit, I was wearing Ladybird knickers from Woolworths at that age.

SheepyFun Fri 21-Apr-17 20:55:08

If your DD has pocket money/an allowance, you could say that you're willing to pay £x towards a set of underwear (I've no idea what teen underwear costs, as I buy bras from Bravissimo and pants from Tesco), and if she wants a more expensive set, she has to make up the difference. Might focus her mind on just how much she wants it.

kingfisherblue33 Fri 21-Apr-17 20:56:08

Yep, I have bought dd a couple of the CK crop tops. She's 13. It makes her look v cool at school on PE day. They are good quality too.

kingfisherblue33 Fri 21-Apr-17 20:57:23

PS I buy her the CK bralets. Not the pants. Definitely not. Bonkers money, if you might have a period accident or whatever.

SoupDragon Fri 21-Apr-17 21:24:39

I remember a thread exactly like this a while ago.

Ellisandra Fri 21-Apr-17 21:25:55

PodgeBod - I swear by Freya. Bravissimo stock a lot of their stuff, but check out www.leialingerie.com for outlet prices grin

somethingwitty3432 Fri 21-Apr-17 21:28:56

Go to TK maxx they always sell CKs a lot cheaper

AcaciaYou Fri 21-Apr-17 21:36:02

There is absolutely no way I would be buying underwear that cost that much for my 13 year old dc. If she really wanted it she could save up her pocket money.

PodgeBod Fri 21-Apr-17 21:38:48

Ellisandra excellent, thank you! I will have to give them a try.

Ellisandra Fri 21-Apr-17 21:41:11

Hope they work for you!
Ill-fitting bras are the absolute (arm)pits!

pennypickle Fri 21-Apr-17 21:47:05

YANBU Both my dd's asked for underwear that cost the earth- I gave them money for their birthday and told them they could use it for whatever they wanted to and set out, in no uncertain terms, that I would not now, or ever buy blatantly overpriced underwear- They bought their own

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: