We rely on advertising to keep the lights on.

Please consider adding us to your whitelist.

loader

Talk

Advanced search

To make DD have the underwear she wants for her birthday?

(59 Posts)
birthdaygiftdd1 Fri 21-Apr-17 20:27:30

DD is 13 and wants this underwear that comes to £40 shock for 2 sets. AIBU to make her get this for her birthday? I will buy her regular M&S, etc. when she needs it, but £40 is ridiculous.

offblackeggshell Fri 21-Apr-17 20:28:42

YANBU. Or she can buy it herself with birthday money.

AndNoneForGretchenWieners Fri 21-Apr-17 20:29:57

I agree. I buy DS his expensive boxers for birthdays or Christmas (he likes Ralph Lauren and Calvin Klein). If he needs them outside of those times he either buys his own or I get him boxers from M&S, Next or Tokyo Laundry.

ChocolateButton15 Fri 21-Apr-17 20:31:35

What! Is it Victoria secret pink? Yanbu!

Ellisandra Fri 21-Apr-17 20:32:49

I pay more than £20 for each set of underwear - and that's buying outlet for the one brand that doesn't leave armpit welts shock

So if she's 30F with weirdly shallow underarms, and you can afford it, I say buy them!

If I could afford them for her, it would come down to whether it was comfort or fashion. The latter - birthday. The former - I'd consider it.

birthdaygiftdd1 Fri 21-Apr-17 20:33:09

It's Calvin Klein and it's the kids range shockshock far too expensive. I can't understand why she wants it. Apparently it's good "for PE days" hmm

WhenTheDragonsCame Fri 21-Apr-17 20:36:09

My DD1 wanted Calvin Klien underwear so she got one pair of pants in her stocking last Christmas. £20 for one pair of pants shock

ragz134 Fri 21-Apr-17 20:38:05

£20 for ONE? Wow...

ColdTattyWaitingForSummer Fri 21-Apr-17 20:40:14

Most teens I know do wear nicer underwear on Pe day.. Changing in front of others is awkward, that makes it easier. That said, I buy ds his hollister boxers for Christmas or birthdays. In fact he now asks for them!

PodgeBod Fri 21-Apr-17 20:46:00

Ellisandra can I ask what brand you use? I have a similar problem.

Ollivander84 Fri 21-Apr-17 20:48:10

I would. I was a 30E at that age and my poor mum spent a lot on bravissimo for me!

FurryLittleTwerp Fri 21-Apr-17 20:48:18

"for PE days" & there's me thinking it was some sort of bounce-minimising fancy kit but no, just in case someone else notices & judges hmm

BlackHillsofDakota Fri 21-Apr-17 20:49:24

I do think it's a thing, my dd has Calvin Klein and also jack wills. The jack wills were £25 for a pack of 3 knickers and £18 for one crop top and the Calvin Klein were £28 for a pack of 2 crop tops and £20 for two pairs of knickers shockand the Calvin Klein aren't even than good quality, a couple of the knickers have come apart at the seams.
However I am a sucker and did buy them for her so I can't really complain!

TheFairyCaravan Fri 21-Apr-17 20:50:23

YANBU I buy our kids (22 &20) Calvin's for Christmas. They wash well and last for ages.

I fancy some for me because the men's ones are so soft, but I can't part with the money.

Justmuddlingalong Fri 21-Apr-17 20:53:58

When she realises that you're not going to just buy it, except as her present, you might find she's not so keen after all. But holy shit, I was wearing Ladybird knickers from Woolworths at that age.

SheepyFun Fri 21-Apr-17 20:55:08

If your DD has pocket money/an allowance, you could say that you're willing to pay £x towards a set of underwear (I've no idea what teen underwear costs, as I buy bras from Bravissimo and pants from Tesco), and if she wants a more expensive set, she has to make up the difference. Might focus her mind on just how much she wants it.

kingfisherblue33 Fri 21-Apr-17 20:56:08

Yep, I have bought dd a couple of the CK crop tops. She's 13. It makes her look v cool at school on PE day. They are good quality too.

kingfisherblue33 Fri 21-Apr-17 20:57:23

PS I buy her the CK bralets. Not the pants. Definitely not. Bonkers money, if you might have a period accident or whatever.

SoupDragon Fri 21-Apr-17 21:24:39

I remember a thread exactly like this a while ago.

Ellisandra Fri 21-Apr-17 21:25:55

PodgeBod - I swear by Freya. Bravissimo stock a lot of their stuff, but check out www.leialingerie.com for outlet prices grin

somethingwitty3432 Fri 21-Apr-17 21:28:56

Go to TK maxx they always sell CKs a lot cheaper

AcaciaYou Fri 21-Apr-17 21:36:02

There is absolutely no way I would be buying underwear that cost that much for my 13 year old dc. If she really wanted it she could save up her pocket money.

PodgeBod Fri 21-Apr-17 21:38:48

Ellisandra excellent, thank you! I will have to give them a try.

Ellisandra Fri 21-Apr-17 21:41:11

Hope they work for you!
Ill-fitting bras are the absolute (arm)pits!

pennypickle Fri 21-Apr-17 21:47:05

YANBU Both my dd's asked for underwear that cost the earth- I gave them money for their birthday and told them they could use it for whatever they wanted to and set out, in no uncertain terms, that I would not now, or ever buy blatantly overpriced underwear- They bought their own

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now