Talk

Advanced search

Interpretate

(16 Posts)
quilliambrothers Fri 21-Apr-17 19:51:10

People saying 'interpretate' instead of 'interpret'. It feels to me like a really weird error.

In the 3 years I've lived in Newcastle, I've encountered this many, many times. I've never come across it before. Is it a regional oddity? Has anybody else here / anywhere else ever spotted this?

ChaiTeaTaiChi Fri 21-Apr-17 19:51:49

No.

Ginmakesitallok Fri 21-Apr-17 19:53:07

No.

But what really annoys me is when people say translate when they mean interpret.

theresamustgo Fri 21-Apr-17 19:53:23

A friend at school used to do this, in London. Drove me mad,

Gingernaut Fri 21-Apr-17 19:56:09

"Fraudulate" - defraud
"Forensicate" - scientifically evaluate evidence for forensic potential and swab for DNA/treat for fingerprints/recover package contents/ESDA/compare with other recovered evidence and interpret findings

picklemepopcorn Fri 21-Apr-17 20:01:58

Burglarise.

quilliambrothers Fri 21-Apr-17 20:19:14

What's the point?! It's so obtuse. It's making it more complicated than is necessary and it reeeeaaallly comes across a bit silly.

Like when people say 'utilise' when they really mean 'use', or 'myself' instead of 'me'.

Ugh. So annoying.

OK, rant over.

Moonbear10 Fri 21-Apr-17 20:59:00

One of my colleagues refers to drill bits as drill bitses, irks me every time.

Wickmum75 Fri 21-Apr-17 21:31:50

It's just been said on Have I Got News for You. Actually made me shudder

BarneyRumbleton Fri 21-Apr-17 21:34:46

I once got a ridiculous fit of the giggles when freshly out of uni I was temping and taking down some dictation for the MD of the firm I worked for.
"I hope we have interpretated the brief...."
I was too young and silly to correct him, but the more I knew I shouldn't laugh, the funnier it got.

Madwoman5 Fri 21-Apr-17 21:35:48

Dh family says this

BarneyRumbleton Fri 21-Apr-17 21:36:27

Mind you, that was at the electrical contractors where I'd also be asked to place orders for flanges, nipples and elbows.

Andylion Fri 21-Apr-17 21:40:17

Orientate or orient?

I always use the latter, "I just arrived and have to orient myself." When I hear the former, I get twitchy.

Google tells me that "orientate" is more common in the UK. Does that seem correct to UK dwellers?

Code42 Fri 21-Apr-17 21:49:42

Andy I think so - I'd say orientate usually: I can't place an English verb to orient

Code42 Fri 21-Apr-17 21:50:43

Maybe because, for a long time, Orient was used as a proper noun in the UK!?

doodlyfiddly Fri 21-Apr-17 22:15:53

I used to work with someone who once spent a whole morning making phone calls looking for a 'sign language interpretator'. This was in London. A man called in response to a message she'd left and pointed out her error. I'd been too scared to tell her!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now