Talk

Advanced search

To just not get what weird power Smiggle holds over all children under 12?

(28 Posts)
MasterOfDisguise Fri 21-Apr-17 18:58:35

My DC are slaves to the place. They'd sacrifice their souls for a chance to browse in Smiggle & purchase if possible. All their friends are the same. And yet all I see is nice enough stuff but that's priced about 5 times more than the going rate.

At DDs school there even seems to be pencil case oneupmanship, you have to have Smiggle to be cool hmm

Tell me straight - am I a being miserable kill joy to try and hurry the kids out after 5 minutes?

NotInMyBackYard1 Fri 21-Apr-17 18:59:40

You are a much nicer mother than I - mine are hurried past the shop entrance pronto!! grin

Whereismumhiding2 Fri 21-Apr-17 19:13:28

Ahhhh... "Schmeeeegle" shop as i call it ("my preciouuusss...! ) for whatever non-hobbit reason, my DDs love/d this shop (from ages 6-12) so I gave them £20 each (sometimes part of their present money) twice a year to spend in Smiggle to treat themselves (for Xmas and birthday 'extras')...

Don't worry , it slides into H&M aviator glasses and crop tops soon enough! Let them enjoy their pricey scented pens that can be rubbed out and furry monster pencils cases whilst that's their thing... grin... Til they go all teenager girl on you!!

Whereismumhiding2 Fri 21-Apr-17 19:23:09

I have one in (schmeegle) aged 9 and one out now (hit 12 1/2 yrs .. and she/her girlie mates are oh so h&m and top shop now!).... We fly by The Works too to deschmeegle littlest often enough... similar tat but 1/5 price! But then my eldest (teenage boy) gets in the act by buying tat like back scratchers.. (Simpsons "butt scratcher"... at least it's only a pound at The Works!)

MasterOfDisguise Fri 21-Apr-17 19:29:20

Stupidly I hadn't even considered what might come in the post-Smiggle years...although I quite enjoy a mooch in H&M & there are at least bargains to be had...but crop tops etc...yeah maybe the Smiggle tat is harmless enough!

ShelaghTurner Fri 21-Apr-17 19:30:58

What's not to get? It's colourful and it's stationery. That's it. Fairly straightforward. But it's definitely under 10s here. My niece is about to go up to secondary school and her older sister has warned her not to bring anything smiggle if she values her life! grin

GreatWhites Fri 21-Apr-17 19:31:00

I think I am the only parent wishing for the Smiggle phase to start. I love pencil cases!

ChaiTeaTaiChi Fri 21-Apr-17 19:32:00

I have several under 12 and have no idea what or who Smiggle is. Neither do they.

yellowpoppy17 Fri 21-Apr-17 19:32:35

I took my daughter in there once and she had a meltdown when I tried to get her to leave (after the longest 30mins of my life). We've never gone back.

GeillisTheWitch Fri 21-Apr-17 19:32:56

I was really tempted to get DD one of their pencil cases with all of the bits that pop out because I always wanted one of those as a child. I didn't in the end, mainly because of the price but also because I don't want to be that parent who buys the thing that all other kids start pestering their parents for.

MiaowTheCat Fri 21-Apr-17 19:37:41

Under 12s?! Sod that I've quite fancied a mooch around there myself.

I am, however an unrepentant stationery addict.

FloatyCat Fri 21-Apr-17 20:05:12

Flatly refused to buy an £18 water bottle in here today. Obviously, now I'm the worst parent in the world because EVERYONE else has one. the £1.50 sports direct one is perfectly good grin

PatButchersEarring Fri 21-Apr-17 20:07:40

Yep. Overpriced plastic shit. Smiggle my arse!

Xmasbaby11 Fri 21-Apr-17 20:09:22

I'm the same with Paperchase so I think I'd love smiggle if I was young!

Bloosh Fri 21-Apr-17 20:11:24

My kids aren't impressed by it and agree it's overpriced, hurrah

It's overpriced rubbish. Their Facebook page is always full of people with broken items within hours of purchase and their last advent calendar was awful.
I'm actually glad the advent calendar put my two youngest off enough to not want to spend money in Smiggle anymore.

What is this place of stationary heaven you talk about. I'm 10 (plus a decade or so). I feel like I need to go there.
I get to order the stationary at work. I take pens home. My colleague was under strict instructions to look after my pen collection when I was on Mat leave a while back. She failed. Returning to work to see the devastation was awful sad angry

Xmasbaby11 paperchase is awesome grin

Lowdoorinthewal1 Fri 21-Apr-17 20:19:16

I was so excited when I discovered that a Smiggle was coming to me out here in the West Country. Miserably, I have been rather disappointed!

Not exactly pocket money friendly is it? And so garish. No, I do not want to part with 24 quid for a gurning pencil case on steroids.

livingthegoodlife Fri 21-Apr-17 20:30:36

but the pencils which draw in rainbow colours are so much fun! i love it. and my kids love it. don't be the boring one!

NotInMyBackYard1 Fri 21-Apr-17 20:35:50

owns up to scanning thread for all misspelled occurrences of stationery

Anonymous1112 Fri 21-Apr-17 20:37:56

E for envelope (stationery)

Melfish Fri 21-Apr-17 20:38:29

PeppaPig don't get too excited, the quality is crap, particularly the pencils so whilst the pencil cases are quite cheerful and the bags are all over the school there is nothing for the serious stationery addict! Paperchase, Hema or Kikki K are ok on the high st. cult pens online are excellent.
I work near a shop in London called Artbox which sells Japanese stationery so have managed to divert DD down that way but it is just as ££.

youngestisapsycho Fri 21-Apr-17 20:40:27

It's awful, overpriced and hideous! DD doesn't like it..... thankfully 😅

SellFridges Fri 21-Apr-17 20:42:31

The good thing is, that after one round of birthday and Christmas since DD has been obsessed, she now has pretty much everything they produce so I refuse to go in anymore. Pens, pencils, rubbers, pencil case, highlighters, rucksack. The only thing I have refused to buy (and so has everyone else who has gifted her stuff) is a ludicrously expensive water bottle.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now