Talk

Advanced search

AIBU to be sat here doing most of my 9yr old ds's homework?

(148 Posts)
Ihatecrafting Fri 21-Apr-17 18:33:58

He goes back to school next week, he has had 3 weeks off, mostly at soccer / rugby camps and doing fun stuff. He has a shit tonne load of homework to do which has caused major sulk fests. I've tried to break it into doable chunks but with no joy. To save huge arguments and because he is 9 ffs I have started doing it with him - but mainly for him. I will go through it all with him before he goes back to school and quiz him etc. Am I being a soft touch?

Euphemia Fri 21-Apr-17 18:34:48

Yes you are. Make him face the consequences.

MatchsticksForMyEyes Fri 21-Apr-17 18:35:33

Yes. How is his teacher supposed to assess how well he is doing if you've done it?

Trifleorbust Fri 21-Apr-17 18:35:51

I wouldn't set this tone myself. I would ask him to do his best, set a time limit (he shouldn't be doing more than an hour or two of homework at 9) and let him deal with the telling off.

Wolfiefan Fri 21-Apr-17 18:36:08

Yes. Don't do it.
You need to be the parent. Not "try" to break it down.
Do an hour then you can go to the activity you're looking forward to.
Job done.

Justmadeperfectflapjacks Fri 21-Apr-17 18:36:08

How are you going to pass his gcse 's for him?

Angelicinnocent Fri 21-Apr-17 18:36:32

I'm afraid so and he'll do the same thing next holidays if he thinks you will do it for him.

isthistoonosy Fri 21-Apr-17 18:36:54

Yes, uabu either he does it or takes the consequences of not doing it imo.

He will be in secondary soon before you know it. When do you plan on stopping giving in to sulks and tantrums?

Sirzy Fri 21-Apr-17 18:37:35

What will he learn from you doing it?

danTDM Fri 21-Apr-17 18:37:48

YY OP I do my DD's homework, well keep a close eye on it, the whole time.

Exhausting.

jelliebelly Fri 21-Apr-17 18:38:10

What's the point in you doing it? If he doesn't do it let him face the consequences.

jelliebelly Fri 21-Apr-17 18:38:45

YABU

turtletum Fri 21-Apr-17 18:38:57

I hate to say it but as a teacher I think you should not be doing his work. By all means sit with him and encourage/nag/cajole but if he still won't do it then he needs to learn the hard lesson. He won't learn responsibility if you rescue him and you'll be setting a precident for future homework refusal.

ChickenBhuna Fri 21-Apr-17 18:40:08

You are indeed far too soft. Let him face up to the consequences of not doing it himself.

SoloDance Fri 21-Apr-17 18:40:08

Nine year olds shouldn't have homework.YANBU.

TrollMummy Fri 21-Apr-17 18:40:12

I wouldn't do it for him but instead get him to do as much as he can within two half hour sessions of without whinging. Maybe bribery would help? If you do it for him he will expect this to happen every time he gets homework.

Ihatecrafting Fri 21-Apr-17 18:44:05

I guess it feels like this time he has too much, he would need to have done a couple of hours a day to complete it himself and he has been at clubs etc while I work and has been shattered when he has got home. He will have had 3 full days actually off (Saturdays) due to rugby tournaments on the Sundays.
I will email the teacher and let them know I had to help (a lot) and there was too much.

Sittinginthesun Fri 21-Apr-17 18:45:59

I wouldn't do it. If there is too much, then let the teacher know, but don't do it.

SoloDance Fri 21-Apr-17 18:46:00

2 hours of homework a day? Far far to much. I would email the school too.

Dozer Fri 21-Apr-17 18:48:01

He should only hand in what he can do himself within the time available,

ilovesooty Fri 21-Apr-17 18:50:05

Waste of the teacher's time planning and assessing if parents do the work.

WorraLiberty Fri 21-Apr-17 18:52:01

he would need to have done a couple of hours a day to complete it himself

Two hours a day, every day for three weeks? confused

OffRoader Fri 21-Apr-17 18:52:04

He would have gained much more from being at clubs/ doing fun activities, than being forced to do homework for hours a day.

He's 9 confused

What will they do if he doesn't do it? Chop off his head?

MycatsaPirate Fri 21-Apr-17 18:52:06

3 weeks off at 2 hours a day homework? Your son's school set 42 hours of homework? Jesus, how the hell did he carry it all home?

Either you are exaggerating or your son is exceedingly slow at doing the work.

What exactly has he got to do?

YABU to do it for him. It teaches him nothing except that if he whines then you will do it.

OwlinaTree Fri 21-Apr-17 18:52:25

I would tell the school he didn't have time to do it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now