Talk

Advanced search

'Resting' when pg

(8 Posts)
KefirDoor Fri 21-Apr-17 13:28:20

I've 25 or so weeks pg with DC4. A lot of people (mainly DM) are telling me I need to rest. Honestly I've always though that's kind of bullshit. People's pregnancies vary with how they feel etc. And women have over the years I'm sure successfully carried lots of babies while doing gruelling manual work.

But my placenta is low and I've been having a bit of minor bleeding. I'm not really concerned about this I don't think but I desperately don't want a caesarean. Online people seem to be talking about rest in relation to bleeding and low placenta etc but no one is saying why.

Am I being a bit stupid to be doing so much? Might rest help my placenta move so I don't have to have a caesarean? I suppose Ilalways just ignored this kind of advice because it seems to have no basis.

Armi Fri 21-Apr-17 13:31:50

It's true that women used to do gruelling work when pregnant (and in some parts of the world they still do) but why make yourself keep going when you don't have to, just to be awkward? Having a rest isn't a personality defect.

KefirDoor Fri 21-Apr-17 13:39:57

That's not what I mean or think. I'm not showing off. I just have a lot of stuff to do and wondering if I am actually being stupid by not resting.

PNGirl Fri 21-Apr-17 13:44:43

The idea is to avoid bouncing or jarring the abdomen. So you wouldn't want to work out or run, for example.

It depends what the stuff you have to do is. If it's hoovering for example ignore it.

Redinthefacegirl Fri 21-Apr-17 13:46:10

I see where you're coming from but I think we underestimate the stress pregnancy places on us.

I work in a physically and mentally draining job and worked up until a few hours before having ds1 prematurely (33/40).

With ds2 I was monitored and my lovely obsteatrian kept telling me to slow down. I still didn't until ds2 was threatening an earlier arrival. At which point dh and the obsteatrician gave me a stern talking to, about putting myself and ds2 before a job and housework etc. They were right! I agreed to rest, my early labour signs receeded and ds2 turned up at 37/40.

I know people say pregnancy isn't an illness and it isn't but it is a big deal physically and mentally. Behave how you want to as it's your pregnancy but taking a rest isn't a sign of weakness.

No advice re low placenta I'm afraid. Good luck and hope you continue to feel well.

KefirDoor Fri 21-Apr-17 13:50:17

Thanks that is good advice. Although btw I'm not feeling well AT ALL grin

DesignedForLife Fri 21-Apr-17 13:55:37

If you've got Placenta Praevia you really should take it a bit more easy (easier said than done I know). You've already had some bleeding and you don't want to risk more. Gentle exercise, no heavy lifting. Nothing over strenuous, and any more bleeding get to hospital sharp. But then I'm a bit paranoid as undiagnosed placenta praevia nearly killed me (they tried to induce me but I bled a lot). A scheduled section is nothing to fear or be ashamed about. Much better than having an emergency.

Hopefully your placenta will "move" like it does for most people.

MaisieDotes Fri 21-Apr-17 14:14:51

I think you'd be wise to take any pressure off when you can.

If you have a chance to rest, take it. Look at it as an activity that you need to do rather than just a waste of time.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now