Talk

Advanced search

To want to attempt CC with my 7YO?

(42 Posts)
JJBurnelsBass Thu 20-Apr-17 23:06:18

Am runing out of options. It's going to be melatonin if I can't sort this. What can I do to make him sleep?

kateclarke Thu 20-Apr-17 23:08:17

If he's 7 I think maybe you need professional help. CC would in all likelihood cause trauma and make matters worse. Has he always had issues with sleeping?

Wolfiefan Thu 20-Apr-17 23:10:16

Perhaps some more detail would help. Has he always slept poorly or is it a recent thing?
What time do you try and make bedtime and what's the routine?
Any SEN or relevant other info (new house or sibling etc?)

MrsTwix Thu 20-Apr-17 23:10:32

I think with a child that age I'd be saying "you don't have to go to sleep, but you do have to be in your bed and quietly resting by whatever time".

No screens in the bedroom. Books and soft toys only.

Gileswithachainsaw Thu 20-Apr-17 23:13:30

Is there a reason you can't just use dicipline/consequences?

I think you need to be a bit more forthcoming in what the problem is.

How long has this give on for?

What's his routine?

What does he eat and when?

Have you sought medical assistance?

What's his behaviour like at school?

Does he sleep anywhere else or is he like this everywhere?

What have you tried so far?

alicemalice Thu 20-Apr-17 23:15:25

123 Magic book is excellent for training older kids to go to sleep

TheRealPooTroll Thu 20-Apr-17 23:16:16

You can't make a 7yo sleep - some just don't need as much. But is there any reason he can't just read in his room? Why would you need to use CC? Or does he not like to be alone at bedtime? If it's the latter I'd let him sleep in your bed - not a popular thing to say on here but he will want his own room in his own time imo.

EB123 Thu 20-Apr-17 23:22:41

I think it really depends on what is going on but I don't think CC is the answer at any age.

JJBurnelsBass Thu 20-Apr-17 23:23:55

He's never been a great sleeper, droped naps early, used to drive him round in the car for hours as a baby to try to get him to sleep. That's the history,

Now the routine is as it always has been for years... milk, teethk bed, read.

Ive tried lavender meditation CD's, colour changing night lights, sleeping by his bed... just everything.

No special needs as far as I can tell, though maybe quite anxious. He's very bright and doing well at school, near the top performance wise.

But it's 10 or 10.30pm when he finally falls asleep and I have a struggle to get him out of bed on a school day.

I want to work a way to get him to settle. For him and for me. It's drjving me nuts

user1488721675 Thu 20-Apr-17 23:24:00

Depends on what the problem is. Does he sleep but later than you want him to? Does he not sleep at all? Does he not want to sleep alone?

JJBurnelsBass Thu 20-Apr-17 23:27:40

Ok will look at 123 magic book. We've done the letting him sleep with us, I'm happy with it but DH not so. Thank you for replies

JJBurnelsBass Thu 20-Apr-17 23:29:13

I just feel that if he's struggling to wake up in the morning then he needs more sleep?

TittyGolightly Thu 20-Apr-17 23:29:25

But it's 10 or 10.30pm when he finally falls asleep and I have a struggle to get him out of bed on a school day.

He may just be an owl.

My 6 year old is similar (but so are we, so it works for us to just go with it).

LovelyBranches Thu 20-Apr-17 23:30:23

How would cc work with a 7 year old? If you asked DS to read in his room until 9 and then lights out what would happen?

TittyGolightly Thu 20-Apr-17 23:31:39

I just feel that if he's struggling to wake up in the morning then he needs more sleep?

He probably does. Doesn't mean he can just switch off because it's time to.

I was at risk of nodding off on the sofa at 9pm tonight. Now sleep seems far from me. I just don't get tired until there's been a certain amount of darkness and have a second wind most days. My daughter is the same.

It's just hard to be an owl in a society designed for larks, but we just get on with it.

JJBurnelsBass Thu 20-Apr-17 23:31:47

And yes, maybe i need a bit of evening to myself. We've got him a night light so he can read for as long as he likes but he just doesn't switch off

lalalalyra Thu 20-Apr-17 23:32:10

Do you have drama at bedtime?

I only ask because my DS2 doesn't sleep anywhere near as much as he "should". As soon as I relaxed for a few weeks and he got into a routine of milk, teeth, bed & audio book he was falling asleep around 11.30pm and waking at 5.15am, but much more refreshed than if I was stressing from 10pm onwards.

Floggingmolly Thu 20-Apr-17 23:32:36

He's not actually crying, is he? confused. You can't force someone to sleep. Maybe he's picking up on your stress?

TittyGolightly Thu 20-Apr-17 23:32:38

Does he have evening screen time? I find that makes things worse here.

lalalalyra Thu 20-Apr-17 23:33:20

Instead of reading and needing a light have you tried audio books? With wireless headphones and the dark my DS is much more restful even if he's not quite asleep.

Also the light going off, or moving to switch it off, disturbed him.

Imaginosity Thu 20-Apr-17 23:33:22

I know you said he is hard to wake in the morning but does he seem tired during the day? Maybe he just doesn't need as much sleep as others.

TheLaughingGnome Thu 20-Apr-17 23:35:33

My daughter was / is the same. I ended up just saying she absolutely had to stay in her room and not dick about but she could lie and read or listen to her stories or whatever. But she couldn't keep coming downstairs. She's 10.5 now and goes to bed at about 9.30pm and straight to sleep. Hate to say it, but some kids just don't need the same sleep as others.

TheLaughingGnome Thu 20-Apr-17 23:36:22

yes, and no screen from about 7pm makes a huge difference. We didn't make that a rule that she knew of, just stopped them being available

JJBurnelsBass Thu 20-Apr-17 23:39:29

I let him read til 9. Then lights out, but with hall lights on, he's up at half hourly intervals with Reasons. Last night I'd said enough was enough and pulled his door to, not closed. Sobbing ensued. This morning I got hi up at 6 in an attempt to make him more tired. No effect. He's a night owl, I'm a reluctant lark! Thank you to those saying your children are similar, not feeling quite so alone

5foot5 Thu 20-Apr-17 23:41:06

And yes, maybe i need a bit of evening to myself.

Maybe I am missing something here. Does he actually cry if you leave him on his own? Can you not just put him to bed then leave him to get on with it while you have your evening?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now