Talk

Advanced search

To be worried about bleeding on depo injection despite knowing it's a side effect?

(8 Posts)
StarlitTrees Thu 20-Apr-17 22:46:09

So I started depo injections 4 months ago (so WELL in the 12 month 'settling down' period - no pun intended).
Month 1 - period lasted 10 days
Month 2 - 15 days
Month 3 - 28 days and STILL GOING!
10-15 days I could understand. Annoying but manageable.
But 28 days and not stopping? Should I be speaking to my GP? Since the first week it's very light. Almost shows signs of stopping soon, then just picks up again!
I know this is a side effect of the depo, but I've got a niggly feeling that won't go away.
There was an appointment next Thursday with a doctor I like, so I've just booked that. If it stops before then I'll just cancel it.
But I'm worried that if I go they will think I'm being stupid because it's obviously a depo side effect right?
AIBU for worrying?
Anyone had bleeding this long on depo or possibly longer? Getting really fed up now!

ilovepixie Thu 20-Apr-17 23:14:24

When I was on it I had a few periods at the start lasting a long time. They were always very light though.Then after a few months the periods stopped completely.

Moanyoldcow Thu 20-Apr-17 23:17:26

When I was on Depo I had hardly any bleeding and I was only on it 6 months before I realised it was affecting my mental health.

I'd would definitely see the doctor. Good luck.

user1473008242 Thu 20-Apr-17 23:19:20

I was the same with it I was then told to have the coil fitted I was bleeding non stop for 6 months had checks and scans and ended up having a hysterectomy.... I would get it checked out as something isn't right x

callmeadoctor Thu 20-Apr-17 23:22:58

It happened to me, gp gave me another jab(doubling it up in effect). Sorted, back to normal and never needed a double dose again, sometimes it just needs a reboot! :-)

Shitonmyshoe Thu 20-Apr-17 23:31:17

The depo made me bleed for a solid nine months. This was nearly 15 years ago and there are meds the gp can give you to stop the bleeding. They didn't work for me though and had to wait for the bleeding to stop naturally. Chat to your GP. See what they think

Raggydolly3 Fri 21-Apr-17 00:47:55

I had to stop depo because it made me bleed all the time, zapped me of energy and actually made sex very very painful, to the point I could not do it at all.
I looked it up once I made the connection and found it was one of the many many side effects. Personally would not touch it again

StarlitTrees Fri 21-Apr-17 02:57:16

Thanks everyone for the replies. I'm doing the right thing then. If an appointment pops up sooner I'll take it then.
My husband says it's very effective contraception, as they're no way I'll get pregnant as its stopping us have sex!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now