Talk

Advanced search

To decline free spa weekend?

(45 Posts)
ShootSomeClays Thu 20-Apr-17 22:17:56

My best friend has booked us into a spa for my birthday treat for the night. The whole works. This is obviously a lovely gesture, but I've always stayed away from such places I've got bad acne and scarring all over my back and the thought of someone staring at it for an hour whilst rubbing their hands all over me fills me with dread. I also have chronic athletes foot and fungal infections that just don't shift, so letting anyone near me for a pedicure is not an option. just can't bare the thought of having to strip off in front of a stranger, my body is disgusting. I really do want to go, but I feel I'm going to have to make up some excuse about being ill now and let her down. I feel terrible about it. AIBU?

StillDrivingMeBonkers Thu 20-Apr-17 22:21:08

It's my idea of hell too. I hate being touched by strangers. I can't see the fascination with a spa.

PurpleDaisies Thu 20-Apr-17 22:21:08

Could you just skip the treatments and have a nice time sitting by the pool (you can keep your robe on if you're really self conscious), in the sauna/steam room where no one will see your back and maybe enjoying afternoon tea if it's that sort of place?

If I were the friend I'd be sad that I'd accidentally chosen something you weren't keen on and wouldn't mind changing plans at all.

Fluffygingercat Thu 20-Apr-17 22:23:24

You could always just have a nice lunch and a manicure? Not much body exposing needed!

MissBel12 Thu 20-Apr-17 22:26:25

Could you have a facial, a manicure and a head massage?

TrollTheRespawnJeremy Thu 20-Apr-17 22:26:59

You don't have to have a back massage.. I've had a shoulder massage before or a head massage....

If massage aint your thing then a nice cleansing facial. (I find facials hilarious- it's a bit like somebody making a cake on your face.)

Honestly- life is too short to let these things hold you back. Experience everything --- including generous friends!

FanaticalFox Thu 20-Apr-17 22:28:03

Have a facial or manicure. Keep your socks on. Wear verruca socks in the pools etc and just say you're paranoid about catching anything on your feet. Have a nice time!

MovingOnUpMovingOnOut Thu 20-Apr-17 22:34:58

Ask her if it would be possible to swap the spa for something else. She's your friend and obviously cares about you so she won't want you to be uncomfortable.

kalinkafoxtrot45 Thu 20-Apr-17 22:35:26

It would be my idea of hell. YANBU. Could she possibly cancel without losing money?

KrayKray00 Thu 20-Apr-17 22:35:56

Oh please go. For you. I was exactly the same but had other insecurities. Bad skin, lots of spots and hardly ever took my make up off. Overweight and covered in cellulite. I went and had such a relaxing time which was about me and getting some well deserved R&R. You don't have to have any treatments. You could always get a manicure, there are so many things to choose from.

When I go I do not pay attention to the other people there, I don't care how old/young they are how small/big if they have any sort of skin condition ect.

And remember the therapists and beautitions see so many people in a day and working week. It is their job so don't feel embarrassed they can also recommend remedies to help your skin conditions.

Try and enjoy yourself and relax. I am now addicted and go as often as I can.

If you don't go, can I?? grin

witwootoodleoo Thu 20-Apr-17 22:39:50

There's no need to expose your back or feet at the spa. Everyone wonders round in lovely comfy bathrobes and slippers. You could totally wear socks to "keep your feet warm". Have a facial, manicure or head massage. Plenty of people never go in the pool. Honestly its just a lovely chance to relax with your friend smile

Goldenhedgehogs Thu 20-Apr-17 22:41:16

I had fungus feet too and get what you say about not wanting to show them. But try cutting the nails short and paint a dark colour it will hide how bad they look and no one will notice. Also get yourself to Dr's they will prescribe a pill that kills the fungus and you will be rid of it. 😀I had it for 8 years, only thing that worked for me. If you don't want to go to Dr's you can go to superdrugs prescription service and buy it there but very pricey.

thenightsky Thu 20-Apr-17 22:43:23

I hate back massages. And my feet are like yours OP.

You can still enjoy the spa though. Just don't have the treatments (I don't). Drift around between steam rooms and pool in a gown. Paint your toe nails yourself the day before, so you feet look decent.

elQuintoConyo Thu 20-Apr-17 22:43:48

If she is a good friend, then tell her, gently.

My good friends know I would hate this type of things - although not the ins and outs of exactly why I hate them. I am very similar to you plus the thought of someone giving me a massage makes me want to heave. A pp mentioned 'just have a facial' <internal scream> even worse.

If I were you friend, I'd rather you told me it wasn't your thing - or that there were bits you'd do (sauna? Water jets in the pool?) and bits you won't. I'd much rather spend the money on something my friend would like, even karting or jungle gym!

pilotswife Thu 20-Apr-17 22:44:18

Go and enjoy the day with your lovely friend but book into a dermatologist today! So much can be done for acne and fungal feet - there is no way you should be suffering like this. Go to your GP and get a referral now ! Good luck

thenightsky Thu 20-Apr-17 22:45:19

Golden ... 8 years? That sounds like me! I've spent a bloody fortune on Boots antifungal pens and stuff, all to no avail.

TheWitTank Thu 20-Apr-17 22:46:58

You really don't have to have treatments or expose any part of your body you don't want too flowers
You can take a good book and relax by the pool on a lounger in a costume with a robe/sheer gown over the top and socks or slip on pool shoes on? Have a nice lunch there or get your hair done? I've been to a lot of spa days and haven't felt pressure to expose anything- in fact we mooch about in white dressing gowns all day and read magazines and enjoy the silence!
That said, if you really feel it's not your thing, just be honest.

Mrsglitterfairy Thu 20-Apr-17 22:49:54

I love a spa, love massages and facials etc but I also know what it's like to be in a situation you're not comfortable with. How about as PPs have said, go for the nice weekend with your friend, nice food & drinks and a stay over. Just politely decline any treatments that you would feel uncomfortable having and relax by the pool instead

ShootSomeClays Thu 20-Apr-17 22:51:42

Goldenhedgehogs I am too mortified to even go to a doctor, this is a 20+ year problem, I have given up all hope shock and as for the back acne, that should have disappeared when I stopped being a teenager -a very long time ago- Not sure if I could get a facial either as I also have such bad skin I have worn full foundation every day since I was about 12 years old. Even when just popping the bins out blush the only people I don't wear makeup around are my children. Even in past relationships it's always been lights out, up first thing in the morning to apply makeup before they wake up.

Also my nails are so short and bitten -I'm stressed- that the last time I went to get acrylics they said it would be impossible as they were too short. Have tried to grow them but tend to bite them in my sleep. I've noticed DD (7) doing the same lately and I'm desperately trying to get her out of the habit.

I want to make the effort to go but feel a bit daunted as I've never done anything like this before. What's the lighting like? Is it low? Does anyone see you naked?!

Yes I'm a mess and need to get over myself! hmm

Gazelda Thu 20-Apr-17 22:56:10

Oh OP, I wish you would go and enjoy it. No-one there will be looking at you. Everyone walks around in bath robes (I'm so fat that I have to ask for an extra large, they don't bat an eyelid) and slippers. Some wear clothes. People have oily skin from their treatment, wet hair from the pool, make up free and wet patches on their robes from sitting in wet swimsuits. Elegant it ain't!

TheWitTank Thu 20-Apr-17 22:56:16

No, nobody will see you naked! There are changing rooms and you will have a big dressing gown. You can show whatever you like. The lighting is usually soft. Can you say which spa it is? Maybe one of us can let you know what its like and reassure you?
In regards to your skin, what have you tried for your acne? Have you seen a GP? What do you use daily? Maybe we can help?

JCo24 Thu 20-Apr-17 22:56:57

You do not need to get over yourself!!! Feeling self-conscious is a totally legitimate feeling, but my god you sound like you need this spa day.
I used to work in a spa and honestly, I saw it all and I did not bat an eyelid. 100% guarantee you, there is no judgement they genuinely want you to relax and enjoy yourself.

chastenedButStillSmiling Thu 20-Apr-17 22:57:15

You're not a mess. I got that acrylic thing on my toe nails, only one of big toe nails had fallen off. The woman was horrified! My feet looked great though. (well... better).

Yes to talking to your friend, but also... why not go? Who cares if they find your acne horrific (they won't... they'll have seen far, far worse!) and maybe they can give you some advice?

SusieOwl4 Thu 20-Apr-17 22:58:18

You may enjoy a facial the room will probably be low light and relaxing . And everyone is right about robes and slippers .

Xmasbaby11 Thu 20-Apr-17 23:02:11

Noone sees you naked. You've got a robe and slippers on.

I am enormous and the robe barely fits round me. I don't worry about people looking. I love going to the spa. Last time I went I fell asleep on the massage table and woke myself up snoring. So relaxing.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now