AIBU for wanting a level kitchen floor?

(10 Posts)
Missnearlyvintage Thu 20-Apr-17 19:47:45

We have a water leak under the concrete floor in our kitchen. It is being rectified by our insurer's contractors, but they will not start work until some tile adhesive has been removed from the floor as it apparently contains asbestos. I don't have an issue with this.
After removing the asbestos material, fixing the leak, and drying the floor/walls, they want to then screed over the kitchen floor, BUT ONLY UP TO THE KITCHEN UNITS. They will not be removing the kitchen base units to do this, just the kick boards, and are not going to remove the asbestos material from under the units either, just screed up to it. The issue for me is this; there will be a step on the floor where the new higher floor screed ends and the lower original floor under the units meet. And the outline of our current kitchen units will be traced by the new higher floor screed. Our kitchen floor will no longer be level and the kitchen units will effectively be sunk into it.
AIBU for not being okay with this? We currently have a level floor; if this goes ahead we will have an uneven floor which will need rectifying if we ever change the layout/floor units. I don't even know whether they've put thought into whether the units will adhere to the floor screed and be stuck to the floor?!
Neither the insurer or contractor seem to understand what is wrong with this which makes me feel like I'm going mad!
At the moment they are discussing amongst themselves whether there is another way forward, but will not back down re. need for screed as its part of building regs.
For clarification, I would rather they did not touch my kitchen units, I'm not fishing for a new kitchen and it is the contractor that is bothered about the asbestos adhesive currently on the floor, not me. But I do want a level floor and feel like I'm being ganged up on by both companies because I won't accept their 'bodge it' solution. They have accepted that the floor won't be level when they are finished and that our kick boards will need 'shaving off a bit to fit again'. Seriously?! I'm all for health and safety re the asbestos but they are mucking things up that aren't even damaged if they do this!! And breathe!!

DancingLedge Thu 20-Apr-17 21:13:41

And your worktop will then be lower, could be a real back ache.

Fragglez Thu 20-Apr-17 21:22:56

How thick will the screed be? And why do they need to do it? If they are digging up only a bit of the floor surely they can just fill in the bit they have dug up? B.regs change all the time - the country isn't full of people frantically retrofitting their houses to comply with the latest edition! Seems very odd.

If it does have to be that way and it's only a few mm different then a floor tiler should be able to even it out with the adhesive if you do ever re arrange the units.

Madwoman5 Thu 20-Apr-17 21:48:53

Love, I have had this done twice. The screed is just a few mm deep and without removing the units, what more can be done? If you change your flooring and not your kitchen, this is what they do. If you ever decide to change units in the future it is likely most units will be in the same place. Any places not covered and at the original level can be remedied at this stage. Trim the door and kickboards, job done.

Missnearlyvintage Thu 20-Apr-17 22:33:18

Thanks for your replies everyone, I really appreciate them. I'm probably flapping a bit about this more than needed, but reading the ombudsman literature, I think I am entitled to things being put back the way they were, i.e. Level floor to start with, level floor at end. It 'has' to be done to encapsulate the area affected by the asbestos I believe and for damp proofing purposes, or so I've been told. Our kitchen lay out may well change in the future as it is a bit atypical and unlike some flooring types this is not something that can be taken up and removed to get back to a level surface if needs be like removing floor tiles etc.
The leak is in the opposite corner of the room to the units, it's just this tile adhesive left over from the 70s that means they want to faff about with the rest of the kitchen floor.
They said around 5mm for the screed, so not much depth, but I've not asked for this screed and indeed if there was the option of not having it and just leaving the current concrete floor I would choose that!
We are due to have a leak detection team in to check using thermal imaging equipment and gas sensors that it is just that one leak, but they won't enter the property until all the asbestos is removed on the off chance that there is a leak somewhere else. So most of this asbestos removal is going to be done on the off chance that they find another leak anyway, even though the special equipment means they won't have to dig/disturb the asbestos to know if there are any leaks.
Madwoman5 - what has happened where the screed comes into contact with the units please? Does it stick to them or do they put a barrier to stop it touching them etc? Curious to know that this is something that you've actually had done.
Thanks again all

Madwoman5 Fri 21-Apr-17 01:47:45

The screed just goes up to it. Mine did not stick to the screed as such. Also, recent kitchen change meant that units were removed from floor screeded twice over time. Most of the units came out clean leaving screed behind with imprint of unit. With mine, the last time it was done the floor people removed all previous layers and a fresh layer was put down as quite extensive change of layout involved. They used a large metal scraper tool to remove it to take it back.

peukpokicuzo Fri 21-Apr-17 04:31:35

I don't think you should be quite so worried about this. Unless you are already saving up for a new kitchen and have existing plans to change the layout this is most likely a non-issue. IF you get a new kitchen in future and IF the layout is so different that there are bare bits of floor that are a different height, THEN it can be rectified at that time with minimal fuss. Just let it go.

Ethylred Fri 21-Apr-17 07:07:06

You can have a level media studies so why not a level kitchen floor?

meganorks Fri 21-Apr-17 08:29:33

I've just had my kitchen done (so everything stripped out) and this is what they do anyway. The floor is the last bit to go in so the screed and flooring just goes under the kick boards. Otherwise I would be paying for maybe 15m of flooring that will never see the light of day. And if you are not putting the flooring on you don't need the screed

There is no way to do it with an existing kitchen. And even if you took out the whole kitchen and put in a new one you would more than likely be told this is what they do. Because it is

Missnearlyvintage Fri 21-Apr-17 12:18:26

Hi again, thanks for your replies. I'm calming down about this now a bit. I'll have to find out what screed they are using and whether it is the type of thing that can be removed or not. We will be changing the kitchen at some point as it's 'vintage' and falling apart, which is probably why I'm concerned really. It's all imperial/odd dimensions at the moment, so no new base units will fit in the spaces left behind even if we don't change the layout.
We only have sheet vinyl on the floor at the moment, and the vinyl can just be removed/changed and everything around it modified with no issues. I suppose as well I'm a bit ticked off that we'll have to pay someone to rectify this later on and make things level, when we haven't wanted this to be done in the first place. I know you're all saying it's the done thing which is surprising, but saying that I've never seen a kitchen re-fitted or had anything other than sheet vinyl flooring in the kitchen so I have no experience of this.
Really appreciate your comments.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now