Talk

Advanced search

Am I being ungrateful to not want a 'sentimental' gift?

(34 Posts)
mumtomaxwell Thu 20-Apr-17 19:20:16

I'm turning 40 soon and my family and DH want to buy me a gift. There's nothing I really have in mind except some spending money for our big holiday this summer or vouchers towards a new iPad. They keep asking if there's anything I'd like that I'd keep for a long time?!

I'm being ungrateful aren't I?

WonkoTheSane42 Thu 20-Apr-17 19:22:56

Yes.

gleam Thu 20-Apr-17 19:24:28

Not ungrateful. hmm

Content with your life, perhaps.

EveEve13 Thu 20-Apr-17 19:24:43

I get it though
Maybe ask for jewellery or a family photo - or they buy the bag or whatever you would buy yourself

StillMedusa Thu 20-Apr-17 19:25:16

I wouldn't want a sentimental gift either...as I'm not sentimental!
For my dh's 50th we clubbed together to get him a much covered new bike... and he and the kids are clubbing together for my 50th... to get me a new Saxophone grin

I think saying 'that's a lovely idea but I'd really really love an Ipad' is fine!

chastenedButStillSmiling Thu 20-Apr-17 19:26:24

I LOVE the family photo idea!

Allthebestnamesareused Thu 20-Apr-17 19:27:02

I had a lovely sentimental Mulberry handbag that my parents and a group of friends clubbed together to get me for my 50th. Hopefully it will see me out and I use it all the time! I love that so many people close to me clubbed together to get it and would prefer it over lots of smaller gifts.

jo10000 Thu 20-Apr-17 19:30:35

I agree, sometimes you just don't want anything. However, to please them (and make sure they don't mither you again next time ) why not ask them to put together a digital photo album, they can find old photos of you and do it online. That would be nice for anyone. .. and keep them busy!

TheFlis12345 Thu 20-Apr-17 19:34:07

Could you persuade them to pay for a special day out or fancy meal on your holiday instead?

rollonthesummer Thu 20-Apr-17 19:38:25

For my dh's 50th we clubbed together to get him a much covered new bike

I have an image now of a shiny new bike hidden under layers and layers of blankets!!

As you were...!

Cheaploopaper Thu 20-Apr-17 19:42:19

You should be given a gift YOU would like regardless of how long you are able to make it last. I hate all the 'significant birthday' sentimental rubbish.

readthethread Thu 20-Apr-17 19:50:42

choose an "heirloom" handbag grin

RitaMills Thu 20-Apr-17 19:53:41

Tell them to buy you an iPad with a little sentimental birthday message engraved on the back. Two birds, one stone.

Stopyourhavering Thu 20-Apr-17 19:53:50

For my 50th I got a new digital SLR so I could take loads of photos of all our travels, creating great memories

Fragglez Thu 20-Apr-17 19:55:36

Could they club together and get you an 'experience' for your holiday? Bungee jumping or hot air balloon or swimming with dolphins or something?

AcrossthePond55 Thu 20-Apr-17 19:56:27

It almost sounds as if they already have something in mind and are trying to figure out if you'd like it or not. I'd probably ask them "Why? Do you have something in mind?".

d270r0 Thu 20-Apr-17 19:57:27

Is there anything you'd like to keep- yes! An ipad!

Whathaveilost Thu 20-Apr-17 20:07:15

I hear you!
I don't want anymore jewellery for sentimental reasons.
I don't want a family portrait
I don't want any nick nacks cluttering up the house.
And while I'm at I don't need tat that my mother is throwing out and trying to give to me saying I should have it for 'sentimental reasons!' E.g. A cheap ornament I won at Eastham fair when I was 9, a picture I made in primary, an ash tray I got my mum for Mother's Day in the 70s

I am in my 50s I don't want stuff around me, I never have and hopefully never will!

(Gosh that was a rant but it feels better)

statetrooperstacey Thu 20-Apr-17 20:08:20

Just swap sentimental for expensive and give them a few ideas. That's possibly what they mean. They are letting you know that this year it won't b £20 in a card so fill your boots !

wigglesrock Thu 20-Apr-17 20:11:49

I got money towards an iPad for my 40th. My mum bought me a watch, not a hugely fancy dan sentimental type watch - no engravings or anything, just the kind of everyday watch I like. My sister, aunt and my granny gave me money towards my iPad, which I had coveted and cooed over when I bought it. Three years later I still love it.

Ohyesiam Thu 20-Apr-17 20:12:34

Yanbu, stick to your guns. Keep saying no to unwanted gifts. Just remind than that the present should be for you, not them....

mydietstartsmonday Thu 20-Apr-17 20:17:23

For my 50th Louis Vuitton hand bag perfect!

MuffinMaiden Thu 20-Apr-17 20:28:43

Make a joke of it when they ask! "Anything you like to keep?" Good answers are, "my stunning figure", "my health", "a chocolate covered Tom Hardy" wink, then add, "seriously though, ipad vouchers" grin

Meekonsandwich Thu 20-Apr-17 21:03:39

Ohhh nooo! If they said that to me I'd automatically think of that sentimental tat they sell in Clintons or the card shop you know the like,
Mugs, picture frames, wine glasses and other dust collectors with "forty and fabulous!"
Nooooo! Get away.

I second the iPad with an engraved case, much nicer

Questioningeverything Thu 20-Apr-17 21:28:44

An iPad is sentimental isn't it? I don't have one. I'd like one. I'd use it for sentimental stuff like pictures -ordering online- keeping in touch with family and friends...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now