Talk

Advanced search

To think it would be folly to try to drive to Elephant & Castle on Sunday?

(29 Posts)
SeekEveryEveryKnownHidingPlace Thu 20-Apr-17 17:37:46

That is, marathon day?

Driving from the north, delivering daughter back to university (has too much stuff for the train on this occasion).

I think this would be rash - am I wrong?

Gardencentregroupie Thu 20-Apr-17 17:43:41

The route doesn't appear to go especially near Elephant and Castle. Where do you normally cross the river?

SeekEveryEveryKnownHidingPlace Thu 20-Apr-17 17:46:15

Usually tower bridge, which is obviously out! I can see most of the route isn't near e&c, but it does seem to block off most of the ways we would cross, or routes through the north of the river leg of the journey ....

SeekEveryEveryKnownHidingPlace Thu 20-Apr-17 17:47:23

I'm also thinking that roads which do remain open will be even busier than usual.

MrsTwix Thu 20-Apr-17 17:49:42

tfl.gov.uk/status-updates/major-works-and-events/london-marathon

It looks like it. Is it possible to come Saturday instead?

SeekEveryEveryKnownHidingPlace Thu 20-Apr-17 17:52:24

Saturday is possible but less ideal for various reasons ... might just have to suck it though! Unless anyone comes along with a brilliant sneaky route or says don't be daft, I always drive around during the marathon and its fine!

MrsTwix Thu 20-Apr-17 17:52:28

If you do come you could cross country to the M11 and over the Dartford bridge or the Woolwich Ferry if you leave it until later in the day and they are further round?

dingit Thu 20-Apr-17 17:55:10

Through the blackwall tunnel?

MrsTwix Thu 20-Apr-17 17:57:40

It looks like the South circular and presumably the ferry reopens around 3pm but I don't know how reliable that is.

MrsTwix Thu 20-Apr-17 17:59:43

The Blackwall tunnel is open, but with Tower bridge and the ferry shut it will probably be busy.

ClaudiaWankleman Thu 20-Apr-17 18:03:41

Could you all pack suitcases, drive to somewhere on the northern/ Bakerloo line that is convenient, all take suitcases to E+C and to her room, then unpack them, back on the tube and drive back that way? It probably wouldn't be too much of a time difference - especially in that traffic?

SeekEveryEveryKnownHidingPlace Thu 20-Apr-17 18:05:45

All helpful thoughts, people - I'll moot them later!

This was bad planning by us!

SeekEveryEveryKnownHidingPlace Thu 20-Apr-17 18:06:29

The problem is the later in the day I leave it, the later I have to face 4 hour drive back ,...

SquirmOfEels Thu 20-Apr-17 18:07:08

Can you do it in Saturday instead?

Or she goes on the train with just enough stuff for a week and you come with the rest next weekend?

The displaced traffic from the road closures means that everywhere central is very could try it, maybe much later in the day than you would normally travel. Consider going round on M25 then cutting in from a more southerly direction.

Rotherhithe Tunnel was an absolute nightmare during the recent Tower Bridge closures, so I think you need to be further out than that.

Dozer Thu 20-Apr-17 18:08:22

In your shoes I would switch to train and drive down sometime soon with her stuff, or go Saturday or Monday.

Dozer Thu 20-Apr-17 18:08:51

Or depending where coming from go west and round london IYSWIM

SquirmOfEels Thu 20-Apr-17 18:10:15

x-ed with your last

"The problem is the later in the day I leave it, the later I have to face 4 hour drive back ,..."

Could you stay over somewhere, rather than doing all the return journey on the same day? Even if you have to be at work at a fixed time, just driving the first hour or two out, then stopping, sleeping and leaving at sparrow's fart the next day might give you a useful leeway on timings

SeekEveryEveryKnownHidingPlace Thu 20-Apr-17 18:13:50

Yes, rotherhithe is horrific at the best of times. As is most of it, to be fair! Staying on Sunday night would be a good idea (though I suspect she has plans for boyfriend, not me, to stay over!) - or train & bring more stuff later, maybe.

Davros Thu 20-Apr-17 18:18:01

If you're going to do it I would go West rather than East

Westfacing Thu 20-Apr-17 18:20:19

When you say north, exactly where? North London or coming in on the M1 from The North. Unless you're coming from NE London I don't know why you cross Tower Bridge.

I often go through 'the Elephant' on a Sunday afternoon, by bus. Can you not cross the river further west say Vauxhall Bridge?

Sallygoroundthemoon Thu 20-Apr-17 18:25:05

Come via West London, cross the river on the south circular around Kew and go that way.

SquirmOfEels Thu 20-Apr-17 18:29:44

Given that there will be road closures right down to Westminster until c.1900, then I suspect Vauxhall Bridge (the next one along) could be rather busy. I'd stay further out if attempting a westerly approach.

Coming at it from one of the bridges further west might be less busy; then head for the A3 and just slog your way up that.

Westfacing Thu 20-Apr-17 18:30:33

No way can you approach from the East but I can't see a problem coming over say, Battersea, Albert, Chelsea or Vauxhall bridges in the West.

Elephant & Castle is some way from the Marathon route - even allowing for knock-on effects.

SeekEveryEveryKnownHidingPlace Thu 20-Apr-17 18:43:42

Westfacing - coming north as in The North! Down the m11.

SeekEveryEveryKnownHidingPlace Thu 20-Apr-17 18:44:43

Coming in on the m1 is a nightmare - takes you through bloody Bloomsbury!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now