Talk

Advanced search

To think this is out of order

(18 Posts)
sammyjayneexx Thu 20-Apr-17 15:48:14

So my husband was supposed to finish at 15:30. He's a support worker and he is the only one on shift. The other staff Coming on shift phone in sick 10 minutes before she was due to come in. So how my husband has to stay behind until they find cover and don't know how long this will be. It actually ruins our plans that we had and I'm really angry. I'm trying to look for work at the moment as we need the money desperately so I can no longer be a SAHM. We have always struggled but we are worse now but how can I find work when I have to rely on him for child care ( no family and can't afford childcare) when things like this happen? What if I was due to go to work? That would get me in the crap for not turning up? I just hate that someone can call in 10 minutes before and it ruins all our plans as a family. She has a reputation for doing this as well as she's been calling in sick for the last 3 weeks randomly here and there. He had texted some one asking if she could cover and she agreed as long as she can bring her dog 😮 who brings their dog to work?

KingJoffreysRestingCuntface Thu 20-Apr-17 15:54:06

This happens at my work, two people need to be in the building so if someone is late someone else has to stay.

Some people just don't give a shite about anyone else.

NavyandWhite Thu 20-Apr-17 15:55:37

He will get paid extra so that's something positive?

What were your plans?

HarryPottersMagicWand Thu 20-Apr-17 15:56:56

You have my sympathy. As someone who likes routine and predictability, I couldn't cope with this shit. Someone needs to have a word with her as presumably, she has been ill all day so could have given more notice. Very rude. So many people really couldn't give a shit how their actions impact on others.

MrsTwix Thu 20-Apr-17 15:58:15

I understand you are upset about someone calling sick and I agree it's not helpful, she should have called earlier, but you do understand it's not the kind of job where you can walk away.

As for bringing the dog, I think that it's not the issue, I used to take my dog sometimes when I was in that sort of job, sometimes it's nice for the service users.

DelphiniumBlue Thu 20-Apr-17 16:01:42

What would happen if he said, " sorry, can't do it"? Isn't this what management are for? They should be dealing with the person who keeps going sick - even if she is sick, 10 mins notice is never acceptable. Management need to either have cover staff available, or cover it themselves.
As you say, if you were going to work yourself, he really wouldn't be able to stay on, so he needs to start making this clear now.

sammyjayneexx Thu 20-Apr-17 16:02:11

My husband said she's caused havoc this past month because she does one shift then calls in sick for her next few and so on. The manager did ask this woman twice if she can deffo do it and this woman said yes. So calling in sick 10 minutes before is just not on.

sammyjayneexx Thu 20-Apr-17 16:06:33

Oncall says he has to wait for them to get someone or he has to find cover himself if he doesn't want to wait. The manager does cover some times in these cases but she works part time and has kids so she can't do it all the time. He can't just walk out as obviously that's not very professional and against everything leaving them alone and I wouldn't want him to walk out like that either obviously but I just think this woman selfish

MaisyPops Thu 20-Apr-17 16:18:13

That's awful. Some people are selfish.

I'm surprised she can get away with calling in sick with such short notice and not get disciplined. Especially if this is regular.

I have to call in over an hour before I'm due to start work. (Obviously I'm sure if something happened where I injured myself etc within that work would be understanding)

robinofsherwood Thu 20-Apr-17 16:28:59

If they cant be left alone, surely there has to be a foolproof backup plan to get cover there quickly (like the manager being paid to be on call). What would happen if your DH became seriously ill on shift, or one of the people there did and he needed to go with them to hospital?

HKittyCat Thu 20-Apr-17 16:30:54

Maybe your husband could have a quiet word with the manger and suggest the introduction of a policy where you have to phone up at least 4 hours in advance if you can't do your shift, if you don't give the 4 hours grace you have to come in, unless there is a genuine verifiable emergency? That's what we have at our place and it works pretty well.

sammyjayneexx Thu 20-Apr-17 16:35:46

Hkittykat that's a good suggestion I will put it to him. To be honest my husband might as well be the manger lol because every time there is a problem at work when if it's my husbands day off they ring him and not the manger. The other day something happened and instead of calling the manager she called my husband on his day off!!!

WateryTart Thu 20-Apr-17 17:07:25

Those higher up the pay scale should cover in such cases. A manager should go in.

EweAreHere Thu 20-Apr-17 17:12:40

Someone higher up the food chain should have to be available to come in immediately. That isn't reasonable.

What if he had to pick up a child from nursery?
What if he had a long awaited for doctor's appointment?
What if his partner couldn't go to her own job because he has to get home to look after his own children?

Sorry, but no. They shouldn't be able to force him to stay. Someone who gets paid a lot more should be available to sort this out.

user1483981877 Thu 20-Apr-17 17:17:46

I used to be a senior in a team like this and I always had to take the hit for the numerous times people called in sick at short notice or whatever. It shouldn't be down to your husband. hope someone else can come in and relieve him soon.

OhhBetty Thu 20-Apr-17 17:17:54

The 4 hour policy wouldn't work for piss takers though. If it's something like support work they could say they had d&v and then they wouldn't be allowed back for 48 hours.
Managers get paid the higher rate for things like this. He needs to call management, tell them he can't stay as he has plans and that they need to get cover or come in. Or if you're that desperate for money surely extra hours are a good thing?

sammyjayneexx Thu 20-Apr-17 17:19:19

He won't get paid extra for this. It will go down as 'time owing' so he can use the spare time at a later date. If he really wants to get paid for this it's a lot of faffing about and he would have to wait 2 months for it.

MatildaTheCat Thu 20-Apr-17 17:22:01

The four hour notice is a good idea but difficult for a morning shift if you wake up feeling really ill.

When you get a job he will need to write to his manager formally stating that he will no longer be able to cover emergencies if you are at work. It's the responsibility of management to find cover even if they need to come themselves for a few hours.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now