Talk

Advanced search

To think she should have informed me her kids are unvaccinated?

(421 Posts)
InMemoryOfSleep Thu 20-Apr-17 08:24:30

I went to antenatal yoga with a lovely teacher, who then visited my house with her two children once my baby was born. I also attended her baby group several times with my DS, and her children were also present.

I've just found out that she's an anti-vaxxer, and I cannot stop thinking about the fact that she exposed my tiny baby to her unvaccinated kids, without my knowledge! AIBU to think she should have informed me before bringing her kids to my house, knowing my baby was too young to have been vaccinated yet?

And what about all the babies at the group - I get that it's her personal choice to not vaccinate (though I am vehemently against it) but as she is acting in a professional capacity surely she should be informing parents that her unvaccinated children will be there? I certainly would have thought twice about taking my DS before his vaccinations.

QuiteLikely5 Thu 20-Apr-17 08:26:11

Yabu. I didn't have many of the vaccines that are available today so do you want me to alert everyone to that???

TestingTestingWonTooFree Thu 20-Apr-17 08:27:19

Fucking hippies.

JigglyTuff Thu 20-Apr-17 08:28:07

I'd think you should if you were taking them to a house with a newborn, yes.

SomethingBorrowed Thu 20-Apr-17 08:28:45

YANBU

usernumbernine Thu 20-Apr-17 08:29:09

I'm the most pro vax parent ever but why on earth would she have to tell you her kids aren't vaccinated? Where does that end? You know there will be kids at baby group, school, in the train, on the bus, around your kids in the supermarket that aren't vaccinated?

What do you propose? A sign? A bell that says unclean?

katiegg Thu 20-Apr-17 08:29:11

Whilst i am 100% pro-vaccination, i think you are being unreasonable. As you say, it is her choice not to vaccinate her children, just as it is your choice to vaccinate yours. She no more has to inform you than hers aren't vaccinated than you have to inform anyone that yours are.

NorthernLurker Thu 20-Apr-17 08:30:18

I don't think you can be surprised she didn't tell you. In order not o vaccinate she has to believe she isn't putting her children and anybody else's at risk.

I would be furious too though.

putdownyourphone Thu 20-Apr-17 08:30:59

But you haven't had the vaccines that babies get today, and neither have your babies grandparents, or many of the other adults your baby comes into contact with. Maybe just live in a bubble?

MaisyPops Thu 20-Apr-17 08:31:24

YANBU.
Vaccines exist to create a herd immunity for people who are unable to have them/haven't had them yet because they're too young.

Side effect is that anti vaxxers are protected by herd immunity and use it as flimsy evidence that their wacko science is true.

If people want to run risks with their own kids then fine (well not fine but parental autonomy), but to knowing put them near newborns/immune compromised people is just selfish.

putdownyourphone Thu 20-Apr-17 08:32:19

And I hope you'll be broadcasting when your baby has been vaccinated as it'll be shedding viruses for the unvaxxed to catch.

StealthPolarBear Thu 20-Apr-17 08:32:57

Putdown children are more likely to be harbouring these infectious diseases than adults surely

InMemoryOfSleep Thu 20-Apr-17 08:33:06

@usernumbernine I get that my DS will come into contact with lots of unvaccinated children, but for a start that will be after he is vaccinated. Also she brought her children to my house - I feel that's a very different situation.

StealthPolarBear Thu 20-Apr-17 08:33:41

Their immune systems aren't as developed, which is why op is specifically concerned about newborn babies

Twingler Thu 20-Apr-17 08:34:19

YANBU at all. The argument that the OPs child will meet unvaccinated children throughout its life doesn't make sense. Newborns are far more vulnerable. And by the time the OPs baby is old enough to be playing on parks, it will have been vaccinated. It is selfish to not vaccinate. That's just the way it is. Telling you that her children haven't been vaccinated is something a sensible, rational person would do before exposing your newborn to possibly fatal illnesses, but sensible, rational people tend to vaccinate...

SeekingSugar Thu 20-Apr-17 08:34:24

Yes she is a terrible bitch actually. Non vaxcers need to stay away from newborns. But they don't because they are special 🙄

putdownyourphone Thu 20-Apr-17 08:34:26

yes stealth, especially the vaccinated ones!

usernumbernine Thu 20-Apr-17 08:35:01

So the op won't have her newborn around any other babies? So she won't go to baby clinic or be around anyone ver the age of, what, 5 who won't have had the same vaccinations as her baby is due to get?

InMemoryOfSleep Thu 20-Apr-17 08:35:23

@putdownyourphone no, but as an adult I'm less at risk of contracting the deadly diseases they vaccinate against nowadays. Also, my baby has been vaccinated now so when I choose to mix with other children and adults he is protected, regardless. However to bring your unvaccinated children into my home when my baby was only a few days old is a completely different kettle of fish, surely?!

NerrSnerr Thu 20-Apr-17 08:35:35

I read a thread about an anti vaxxing yoga teacher a few months back. Wonder if it's the same woman or there's a load of yoga teachers not vaccinating their kids?

user1492458803 Thu 20-Apr-17 08:35:44

Not vaccinating is NOT an individual choice, it effects everyone especially newborn babies who haven't been vaccinated. I'd be FURIOUS if someone bought a wilfully unvaccinated child near mine and yes, I do think it should be a legal requirement to disclose if your child isn't vaccinated. I don't want my child dying of preventable diseases just because someone had made an uninformed choice.

user1492458803 Thu 20-Apr-17 08:38:02

I would also be outing her on social media so other parents of newborns can make an informed choice.

Iwasjustabouttosaythat Thu 20-Apr-17 08:38:11

Of course she was unreasonable! She put your baby at risk of so many horrible diseases! She won't care though. She will be in denial/too stupid to understand the risk she puts her own children at.

I never let my kids near unvaccinated children and neither do other parents I know. In fact my old playgroup stopped entirely because of one revolting woman who wouldn't take care of own child. No one else turned up! Then she stopped going so we all went again. smile

StealthPolarBear Thu 20-Apr-17 08:39:00

I don't know a lot about vaccine shedding but it sounds a bit unlikely to me and potentially a firm favourite of tbe anti vaxxers

WanderingTrolley1 Thu 20-Apr-17 08:39:11

Yabu.

Her choice not to vaccinate. Your choice to vaccinate. You think your children won't rub alongside unvaccinated children/people in their whole life!?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now