Talk

Advanced search

Social media and politics

(5 Posts)
Stopthatdog Thu 20-Apr-17 08:03:11

AIBU to think that if you post political views on social media that you should expect people to comment with their own views whether they agree or not?

sonyaya Thu 20-Apr-17 08:06:06

I agree

TheNaze73 Thu 20-Apr-17 08:15:16

I totally agree.

MaisyPops Thu 20-Apr-17 08:20:34

I agree.

The only thing I don't like is when people comment purely to be nasty or inflammatory.

Eg. The other year I posted an Easter image and said happy Easter. An old friend (who has changed since meeting their OH) replied purely to tell me it was a stupid thing to wish. Then her/her OH on her account (he loves to do this!) Just spent about an hour trying to argue with everyone who was chatting about easter telling them how stupid any celebrations are and how if you're not religious then you're just a brainwashed fool who is clinging to something otherwise you'd have the sense to not celebrate it at all etc.

Stopthatdog Thu 20-Apr-17 08:58:24

How annoying MaisyPops. What a shame to use a nice post to make a point.

I'm thinking more of people posting political views or reposting things from political parties, particularly now as we head into an election. A friend with very different political views to me keeps posting things and when I or another friend disagree (nicely and rationally, not in a ranty way) the posts often end up getting deleted because they don't want to debate it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now