To think my neighbours are spying on me?

(29 Posts)
user1472582572 Wed 19-Apr-17 22:40:19

I was in the kitchen yesterday and I put some white distilled vinegar in the drawer, because it's good for stains and the washing machine. The kitchen window was open and it faces outside onto a fence but there's an empty space between my house and next door. I heard someone say 'she's putting vinegar in there'. I'm getting tired of the racial slurs every time I set foot outside of my house- a few hours ago a group of boys cycled by and shouted 'c***n'. The police won't do anything. Moving is not an option. I just want to be left in peace!

helpimitchy Wed 19-Apr-17 22:48:32

That sounds awful sad

Why won't the police do anything? What those boys did is illegal and so is harassment by spying on you.

What area of the country is this? Some people are very intolerant, but it's all a bit 1970s by the sounds if it sad

Tapandgo Wed 19-Apr-17 22:53:18

If you are being racially abused and harassed Report to the police again.
Don't give up til you get a response. It's illegal.
Report to your local councillor/MP if police don't act.

needsahalo Wed 19-Apr-17 22:57:11

If these people have nothing better to do than watch you put vinegar in a drawer their lives really aren't worth living!

Blinds will help?

CouldntMakeThisShitUp Thu 20-Apr-17 00:09:52

Keep reporting racial incidents to the police - and the spying.
I'm sure this constitutes harassment.

for your windows, you could put privacy film on them so no one can see in, and/or venetian blinds?

www.google.co.uk/#q=privacy+film&tbs=vw:l,ss:44,p_ord:p&tbm=shop

CouldntMakeThisShitUp Thu 20-Apr-17 00:23:59

last place i lived not only had racists but also some very ignorant people.

E.g, i have a wide taste in music and have tunes from many different cultures/languages. Yet every single time i put some asian music on certain people would shout racial insults, or tell me to switch it to 'proper music'.
They thought they had a right to sit right outside my open window and then complain about what they heard inside!
They even had the nerve to have a go at me for speaking in my other language - IN MY OWN HOME!

They started blasting their own music really loud outside everytime i played asian/chinese/non english music.....at that point i'd had enough.

So i turned my speakers on full and drowned them out.
when the neighbours complained i told them if they could accept the behavior of the racist cunts then they could accept mine - or go report me to the police/HA (who were kept up to date by me on all incidents)

I wasn't breaking any laws (unlike them) so they soon realised they couldn't win with me.....

XsaraHale Thu 20-Apr-17 00:52:08

At 7 months pregnant we had neighbours from hell...loud music, accosting me in the street when alone, tv on loud, racist remarks...the mother of the neighbour lived directly opposite and had cameras facing our house...if you see anything like that report to the police. We called the police day and night and gave statements etc, the neighbours were cautioned but carried on...mentally it was too much so we moved!
We had to move away from my family and support network due to their vile behaviour...worst thing is the neighbour involved now has a child ( with a different partner) who attends DD nursery!

chastenedButStillSmiling Thu 20-Apr-17 01:01:59

keep DETAILED records. Times/dates/what was said.

And keep reporting.

The police/council won't act to a one-off (unless it's horrendous) but with detailed records (keep them unemotional, just record the facts) they will act. Speak to Environmental Health as well.

Good luck. x

Pariswhenitdrizzles Thu 20-Apr-17 01:38:16

I'm really sorry about this OP flowers as others have suggested, I think keeping records is a great idea. Even recording any incidents on your phone if you can.

Guavaf1sh Thu 20-Apr-17 05:04:44

Are you sure they said that though? It seems such a boring thing to comment on and if you were already listening for insults from outside perhaps you're hearing what you want to hear? When I'm waiting in a place for someone I can hear my name shouted a million times when it's actually not spoken at all

Raggydolly3 Thu 20-Apr-17 07:13:46

If they are using racist slurs ring the police and use the word hate crime.
I work with the police and there is two words that make then take something seriously it is that as all hate crimes are monitored.
Also I may be worth googling victim support and see if they have an office in your area and get in touch with then as they will help
you liaise with the police.
If you are in the north west there are a few hate crime support projects around.

DoublyTroubly Thu 20-Apr-17 07:30:50

I really really don't want to offend here but have you ever been diagnosed with any mental health conditions? Have friends / family ever mentioned any concerns?

A very good friend has paranoid schizophrenia and she often used to hear people discussing her and shouting things at her in the street when she was actually mis-hearing what they were really saying

StillDrivingMeBonkers Thu 20-Apr-17 07:38:00

Several themed threads by the Op

www.mumsnet.com/Talk/am_i_being_unreasonable/2888362-To-think-being-called-a-fat-disgusting-pig-by-neighbours-is-antisocial

www.mumsnet.com/Talk/feeling_depressed/2722090-Antisocial-neighbours-driving-me-to-suicide

user1472582572 Thu 20-Apr-17 17:39:23

I'm not imagining it. I've just been verbally abused by a neighbour whilst walking with DS in the pram. I've already contacted the police and an officer lives in this neighbourhood and said nothing much can be done. It's one rule for me and another rule for everyone else: definition of prejudice and racism.

MovingtoParadise Thu 20-Apr-17 17:44:56

Plenty can be done, totally ridiculous anyone saying it can't. Keep complaining, get an incident number when you make complaints.

If nothing is done go through the procedures to complain about the police.

Don't be fobbed off, racial harassment is illegal.

Guavaf1sh Fri 21-Apr-17 02:02:57

I think Doubly has a very good point and the possibility of underlying issues needs to be at least considered. Perhaps see your GP just to be on the safe side?

steff13 Fri 21-Apr-17 04:24:30

OP, I've read your prior threads. You've been advised several times to start recording these incidents, have you done that? If you've got proof this is happening it would be more difficult for the police to ignore.

Atenco Fri 21-Apr-17 04:36:26

I really don't want to offend you DoublyTroubly, but maybe your attitude is why there are more people from ethnic minorities with psychiatric diagnoses, when their experiences are being doubted like that.

Rattysparklebum Fri 21-Apr-17 05:17:37

Hi Op, see if there is a local Hate Crime Officer you can speak to rather than general police, since a high profile case a few years ago when a mother killed herself and disabled son after years of abuse by neighbours local Police forces have been obliged to put in procedures to prevent this happening again. I understand the impact on your daily life, maybe go to your gp to speak about how you are feeling emotionally as at the very least they will make a record of the conversation which may help if you can get enough evidence and support to take this to court for harassment or racial abuse.

TeslasDeathRay Fri 21-Apr-17 05:26:20

I really don't think OP would be imagining it. hmm
It sounds like they were spying so they could make comments about OP and try to pass actions off as "weird" because of race. It's called "othering".

I'm really sorry you're going through this abuse, OP. Please document things as others have said.

steff13 Fri 21-Apr-17 06:00:45

I really don't think OP would be imagining it.

Per the OP's other threads, she has diagnosed mental health issues. It's not outside the realm of possibility. That's why I think recording the incidents would be a good idea; that way there's tangible proof of what's happening.

ddssdd Fri 21-Apr-17 06:52:29

OP, do you have any support? Family, friends?

ddssdd Fri 21-Apr-17 06:57:05

The mental health issues will make it harder to deal with the racism. They are two separate issues. As a black woman, I know racism when I see/hear it. I really don't think the OPs credibility should be doubted here. It is a very real problem for people of colour, and if the OP does have MH issues, the harassment will make it doubly hard.

Vigbymumparis Fri 21-Apr-17 10:06:27

I'd sure as hell be closer to having mental health issues if my legitimacy as a person was being challenged by people in my immediate environment on a daily basis!
OP, trust yourself, get this stuff down in writing, get someone to go with you if it makes you feel braver and get help in stopping this shitty behaviour.
flowers flowers flowers

steff13 Fri 21-Apr-17 13:11:47

What good does writing things down do, though? It's not really proof, it's still the OP's word against the neighbors'.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now