Talk

Advanced search

How can you not know?!

(424 Posts)
TittyGolightly Wed 19-Apr-17 19:52:11

I work with a woman (29 and a mother of one) whose lack of general knowledge I can't quite believe to be normal. Ask anything about TOWIE or IACGMOOH and she knows it (unlike me) but the following are just some of the things she hasn't known in the past couple of weeks:

* that we aren't "doing cows a favour" by milking them
* that tea grows on bushes (or that it's a leaf)
* that coffee comes from beans
* that bees are being threatened by modern farming practices and that if there are no bees we will have no plants (inc fruit and veg)
* that reindeer are real
* that early humans lived in caves
* that a month isn't 4 weeks

She "has no idea" how anyone can know this stuff. confused

Is this normal now? My 6 year old knows most of this!

TheoriginalLEM Wed 19-Apr-17 19:53:48

Im not sure what your point is really? is she a nice person?

TittyGolightly Wed 19-Apr-17 19:55:08

She's not completely unlikable.

OwlinaTree Wed 19-Apr-17 19:55:30

So you know who to choose for the office quiz team. You can do the geography questions and she can do showbiz. grin

SquedgieBeckenheim Wed 19-Apr-17 19:56:02

I'm 29 and a mother of 2. I know all those things.
The bees thing I can just about excuse. And the month of February is 4 weeks....

Bluntness100 Wed 19-Apr-17 19:56:22

There is quite a lot of people with poor general knowledge, it's a reflection I think on our society and educational system. An unhealthy proportion of kids even leave school illiterate.

ThePinkOcelot Wed 19-Apr-17 19:57:13

I worked with a woman exactly the same. In fact it used to amaze me the stuff she didn't know.

PaperdollCartoon Wed 19-Apr-17 19:57:49

There a lot of people who lack really basic knowledge, more than you'd think. I'd forgive the bees though, I don't think that's basic level.

ScarletForYa Wed 19-Apr-17 19:58:03

I'm constantly amazed by stuff that people don't know/think.

Today a colleague believed that a child that did a poo after it's dinner was padding out the meal he'd just eaten!

She said, 'that curry has gone straight through him!' and she meant it literally.

I wish I could think of more examples, because it happens daily. I just stretch my eyes and boggle inwardly!

pictish Wed 19-Apr-17 19:58:38

Most humans by far didn't actually live in caves as they tended towards being nomadic and building shelters as they traveled.
I can't believe you didn't know that!

HemanOrSheRa Wed 19-Apr-17 19:59:00

What is IACGMOOHH? Do I need to know? confused

BarneyRumbleton Wed 19-Apr-17 19:59:07

I've got a degree, two kids and a professional career, but I was 40 when I found out a kipper isn't a type of fish. Must have missed that lesson.

ScarletForYa Wed 19-Apr-17 19:59:50

*passing not padding (autocorrectangry)

KathArtic Wed 19-Apr-17 20:00:00

Years ago I was shocked that one of my school-gate friends didn't know who the Prime Minister was.

TittyGolightly Wed 19-Apr-17 20:00:26

She thought that cavemen lived in houses like we do.

TittyGolightly Wed 19-Apr-17 20:01:28

What is IACGMOOHH?

That might not be right. It's where they put celebrities in a jungle. (Never seen it.)

Allthebestnamesareused Wed 19-Apr-17 20:02:59

Heman - it's I'm a Celebrity get me out if here

informedchoice Wed 19-Apr-17 20:03:22

Well I'd know all that and I'm a celeb (though not TOWIE) so I guess I'm just super smart wink

Allthebestnamesareused Wed 19-Apr-17 20:03:26

*of

SnowBallsAreHere Wed 19-Apr-17 20:03:59

I once had a n argument discussion with an Oxford graduate who thought that when you bought a lightbulb you'd paid for the electricity used as it came with it in the box.

outabout Wed 19-Apr-17 20:04:31

There are 29 days in February for the leap years, one in four.

TitsalinaBumSquash Wed 19-Apr-17 20:04:37

I am apart of several money saving/ frugal Facebook groups and I am often baffled by the thing some people ask, I generally put it down to upbringing and kindly answer their question and if I feel it's not patronising I offer encouragement and praise for bothering to expand their skills and knowledge.

informedchoice Wed 19-Apr-17 20:04:43

Snow

Hahahahah hahahahah

HemanOrSheRa Wed 19-Apr-17 20:05:00

Ah thank you Titty. Phew! I thought I was missing something very important grin.

My Sister in Law is a bit daft but she is one of the loveliest, kindest and funniest people I know. She is also a good sport and can take it when we rib her about her dafty ponderings smile.

OwlinaTree Wed 19-Apr-17 20:05:23

I have 2 degrees, and i thought sprouts grew individually like cabbages grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now