Advanced search

To report to who??

(6 Posts)
Enidblyton1 Wed 19-Apr-17 18:31:04

Aibu to report my Uncle to the Police?

Posting for traffic because I need some advice quickly - hope someone can help me.

My elderly granny (with mild dementia) has been taken from her home to live with my Uncle, her next of kin. He verbally abuses her and cannot wait for her to die so he can inherit her (v small) estate. He is deputy for her finances and welfare, and is on the verge of being granted full power of attorney. My Granny will not have wanted to go with him.

I am my Granny's only other blood relative - my mother was my uncles brother, but she died a few years ago. When I emailed my Uncle for his phone number to have a chat with my Granny (I usually speak with her on the phone once a week), my Uncle sent a lawyers letter back by return of post telling me, my father and my Granny's neighbour (who is her day to day carer) to stay away!

My Uncle is clearly not acting in my Granny's best interests as per the power of attorney and I'm worried that my Granny is scared and unhappy. She is a frail woman and at this rate I fear I may never see her again.

I feel helpless. Is there anything I can do? Will reporting my Uncle to the office of Public Guardian do anything? The police? As my Uncle is Granny's closest kin and we can't prove his abuse, I don't know what we can do.

For information - My Granny asked my Father and I to be her power of attouney 2 years ago (because she does not trust my Uncle with money) and when we applied we discovered that my Uncle had already applied for enduring power of attorney 10 years ago - which my Granny claims she is unaware of. Sadly, my Uncle commissioned a psychiatric nurse to test my Granny last year and found her to be lacking capacity - hence why his power of attorney is about to be granted. At the time my father and I were advised by a lawyer that there was little we could do to stop this.

Please help if you've had experience of this - thanks!

Littledrummergirl Wed 19-Apr-17 18:34:05

Adult safeguarding team should be able to advise either get the contact details from her GP or from the council. The police will also take your concerns seriously.

MsMims Wed 19-Apr-17 18:35:44

Social services for the abuse and isolation. Office of the public guardian for abuses of the POA or decisions not in the best interest of your Granny.

Sorry you're having to deal with this.

TestingTestingWonTooFree Wed 19-Apr-17 18:36:30

I'd go with social services, office of public guardian and police.

Enidblyton1 Wed 19-Apr-17 19:27:54

Thank you! Might take a blanket approach and contact all three. I wondered if the Police might not be interested. But I'm also concerned about the timescale it might take for social services and Public Guardian to respond. Does anyone have experience of how long these things take and if I'm likely to have a case for removing my Uncle as Deputy?

limon Wed 19-Apr-17 19:33:06

Social services.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: