Talk

Advanced search

To think it's common sense

(32 Posts)
GreenFox17 Wed 19-Apr-17 15:56:13

... To put children in the car FIRST then start loading the shopping in the car?

Was at Aldi earlier and the lady parked next to me was loading her shopping in her car. Her approximately 3yo son was playing with the trolley, ran away and then stepped back in the path of a car!
I heard the 'you shouldn't do abc because of xyz' about six times, it clearly wasn't working!

I swear some people lack common sense! angry

MitzyLeFrouf Wed 19-Apr-17 16:01:14

Someone else (a worst case scenario type person) might say it's more sensible to put the kid in last in case someone decides to rob your car while you've got the doors open.

Drives off with kid in car - disaster
Drives off with sauvignon blanc and nibbles - almost a disaster

GreenFox17 Wed 19-Apr-17 16:06:35

How would they drive off with your car? Common sense again not to leave the keys in the ignition hmm

BendydickCuminsnatch Wed 19-Apr-17 16:08:07

I think that was a joke OP hmm

MitzyLeFrouf Wed 19-Apr-17 16:08:31

The world is lucky to have someone as sensible as you in it...

SquedgieBeckenheim Wed 19-Apr-17 16:09:40

I leave nearly 3 year old DD in the trolley, load shopping in car, return trolley, walk back to car holding DD's hand, put her in car and go home.
It works for me, other methods work for others.
The issue in your OP isnt shopping or toddler first, it's the parent not ensuring toddler is safe.

StillRunningWithScissors Wed 19-Apr-17 16:11:29

Ah, but after loading the groceries in the car, what do you do...

Return the trolley.

If the car was a bit too far away from the trolley return, she might not have wanted to leave her DC unattended in the car.

Could have had the child in the trolley seat though. Would imagine it would solve both issues...

StillRunningWithScissors Wed 19-Apr-17 16:12:18

Cross posted with SquedgieBeckenheim there

jopickles Wed 19-Apr-17 16:12:52

I wouldn't put my child in the car first if I was alone as I wouldn't want to leave her in the car alone as I returned the trolley

toffeeboffin Wed 19-Apr-17 16:13:49

YANBU.

Everything with kids is like a military operation.

Pollydonia Wed 19-Apr-17 16:14:45

Yanbu op. Same sort of parent who thinks that letting a 3 yo push a trolley without supervision is cute - then my nearly 80 yo frail dad gets rammed angry

thenewaveragebear1983 Wed 19-Apr-17 16:19:09

Someone I know opened her car, dumped handbag on the passenger seat (actually nappy bag) with car keys in it, was unloading her shopping bags and someone got into the drivers side and drove off with her car, leaving her at the roadside with half a load of shopping and the baby in the pushchair. This wasn't in a supermarket but at the roadside, but still. It could happen.

MitzyLeFrouf Wed 19-Apr-17 16:20:27

'Someone I know opened her car, dumped handbag on the passenger seat (actually nappy bag) with car keys in it, was unloading her shopping bags and someone got into the drivers side and drove off with her car,'

There you go OP, that's how someone could make off with your car.

RiversrunWoodville Wed 19-Apr-17 16:22:30

pollydonia letting a 3 year old push a trolley must indeed be cute, I had same on the rare occasion I ventured into Asda when in a very high risk pregnancy with dd2 after losing twins. cakefor your d dad

RedSkyAtNight Wed 19-Apr-17 16:22:46

My DS locked himself in the car (with the keys) when he was 3.

Crapuccino Wed 19-Apr-17 16:35:38

Well of course the only solution is to get the nanny to put baby in the car and the footman to take the trolley back. Meanwhile you would be at home enjoying a chilled white in the spa and admiring the pool boy's physique...

Wait. I'm sorry. What was the question again?

senua Wed 19-Apr-17 16:36:44

I think it's common sense not to take DC anywhere near the shops. I always left them at home with DH.

NavyandWhite Wed 19-Apr-17 16:39:52

Strap the kid in the car first, keep keys in pocket, put shopping in boot, lock car whilst taking trolley back.

RortyCrankle Wed 19-Apr-17 16:41:09

Order your shopping to be delivered. Win/win smile

howabout Wed 19-Apr-17 16:48:37

Toddler 1st, baby second as not going anywhere, shopping last if the trolley has not already rolled all over the car park. Abandon trolley unless the trolley park is located conveniently next to parking space. At least a minute of deep breathing before driving off - the people waiting for your space will thank you later when they reflect on how dangerous driving while seriously stressed out is.

Drive round to petrol point and abandon kids in car for 5 minutes peace while filling up and paying.

Hope someone falls asleep so you can unload the car stress free at home. On a really good day read book on doorstep while keeping an eye on the sleeping car (with the windows open for ventilation).

howabout Wed 19-Apr-17 16:51:28

Single parents and those with DPs who work away consistently will thank you for such sage advice Senua - or should they all be shopping during childcare hours?

PooHOle Wed 19-Apr-17 17:13:06

I think it's common sense not to take DC anywhere near the shops. I always left them at home with DH

Booo

GreenFox17 Wed 19-Apr-17 19:20:27

*Today 16:39 NavyandWhite

Strap the kid in the car first, keep keys in pocket, put shopping in boot, lock car whilst taking trolley back*

This.. Think we're on the same page!

honeylulu Wed 19-Apr-17 19:26:10

Click and collect people! It's the way forward!

Meekonsandwich Wed 19-Apr-17 19:38:36

I would get to my car, open said car with key, put children inside car, fill up the boot with food, lock said car, then return the trolley with key in hand, return to car, unlock, get in and drive off?
Of course you wouldnt put the key in the ignition or give it to the child?!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now