Talk

Advanced search

To think management were right to veto this collection?

(70 Posts)
user1485342611 Wed 19-Apr-17 14:27:07

A couple of women at work have recently become grandparents, and two more women have first grandchildren due in the next few months.

A colleague started collections to buy presents for the two new babies, but management stepped in and said office wide collections for grandchildren were 'not appropriate.'

A few people are annoyed, but others are relieved as we already have collections for colleagues' new babies, weddings, leaving or retiring, and it can just get a bit much at times.

AIBU to think management were right to step in and were not 'treating us like kids' as one colleague has stated.

AnneLovesGilbert Wed 19-Apr-17 14:28:20

YANBU. It gets ridiculous after a while.

The people moaning are welcome to buy gifts from just themselves if they're that bothered.

user1488721675 Wed 19-Apr-17 14:28:30

I would have thought complaints have probably been made to management in the first place hence them 'stepping in'

statetrooperstacey Wed 19-Apr-17 14:29:13

Hell no! Thank god someone sensible stepped in. Where does this end?!

Questioningeverything Wed 19-Apr-17 14:29:16

Oh god for grandkids?? Where does it end? I think management were right in this case. I also think someone's had a word to them about it, which is why they've laid the law down over it.

Floralnomad Wed 19-Apr-17 14:32:52

I think it's a ridiculous reason to be collecting but I don't think it's 'managements' job to approve what people are collecting for as at the end of the day nobody is obliged to contribute .

ScarlettFreestone Wed 19-Apr-17 14:34:54

I agree with user I suspect a few people have quietly had a word.

It's not treating anyone like children though. If they want to personally provide a gift for the baby there's nothing to stop them doing that.

I received some individual gifts from my Mum's colleagues but I'd have been horrified if people had been pressured into contributing.

user1485342611 Wed 19-Apr-17 14:35:08

True Flora. But it does put pressure on people to contribute. No one wants to be seen as the tight colleague who said 'no'. Management shouldn't have to get involved, but unfortunately there's always colleagues who just get over enthusiastic about starting collections for this, that and everything. Usually people who have adequate disposable income and don't realise that some colleagues are down to their last fiver on pay day.

ThouShallNotPass Wed 19-Apr-17 14:35:39

Good for management! Where does it end? It gets ridiculously expensive "chipping in" constantly. There can be a lot of hard feelings and disapproval if you refuse to give something even if you really think it's unnecessary. I agree that Management will likely have stepped in because of complaints.

ScarlettFreestone Wed 19-Apr-17 14:35:47

Flora that's a wee bit naive, of course people feel obliged to contribute.

SpreadYourHappiness Wed 19-Apr-17 14:36:23

There's no need for a collection for grandparents. Good job management have put a stop to it.

Ktown Wed 19-Apr-17 14:36:56

Bonkers and overkill.
Too much pressure on people.
I often wonder if the ones who organise these things even contribute.

MaisyPops Wed 19-Apr-17 14:37:58

I think management have probably had a few people having quiet words.

If people want to buy for grandkids then they can. It's not treating people like children to remove social pressure for endless whip rounds.

Billben Wed 19-Apr-17 14:40:27

Ridiculous reason for a collection

Floralnomad Wed 19-Apr-17 14:49:49

I'm lots of things but definitely not naive , I've never felt obliged to do anything just because everybody else is doing it .

Goodythreeshoes Wed 19-Apr-17 14:50:48

I would be a bit embarrassed to receive a gift from people I'd never heard of or clapped eyes on.

morningconstitutional2017 Wed 19-Apr-17 14:52:19

I can understand management's point of view but you are free to refuse if you don't wish to contribute. However, would you want to be thought to be a tight-wad just because you were the only one in the department who declined?
I once said no to something which I thought ridiculous and the disapproval didn't last long, beyond a 'would you like to think again?' - I still said no and that was the end of it.

2014newme Wed 19-Apr-17 14:52:23

Well done management.

user1485342611 Wed 19-Apr-17 14:53:31

Maybe not Flora. But a lot of people do find it hard to say 'no' to collections, so there needs to be some kind of control on the whole thing. I have seen people start collections for house warming presents, 30th birthday presents and other random stuff and go around everyone with an envelope. That's putting unfair pressure on your colleagues, in my opinion.

Floggingmolly Wed 19-Apr-17 14:55:29

Of course they were. I never get that it's not "compulsory" to contribute to a collection, it's actually fairly difficult deciding to be the only misery guts to say no.
It's a nonsensical reason for collection anyway, who wants a present from your mum's workplace?

Floggingmolly Wed 19-Apr-17 14:57:24

You were instructed to have another think about it, morning? grin
They always give the job to the ones who won't take a simple no for an answer!

kirstxx Wed 19-Apr-17 14:57:37

YANBU it was like this at my old work. Collections for everyone's birthday to get a load of presents and then less popular people were left out because they didn't have as many people to go around and nag. IMO it should just be a card unless it's a 'significant' birthday.

I had only worked there about a year and a half. It was an insurance company with a fairly high staff turnover so by the time I was leaving most of the people there didn't know me well started with a great group of people and then it started to become clique-y
I felt so awkward being presented with presents but ultimately grateful to whoever contributed and slightly guilty that people may have felt they had to contribute I overthink a lot

nothercupoftea Wed 19-Apr-17 14:57:46

Very well done from your management, finally some common sense.

Bufferingkisses Wed 19-Apr-17 14:57:49

Good for management! When my first grandchild arrived the two ladies I directly work with brought a card and outfit. I was shocked and really pleased. Big boss said congrats, others asked after dd, asked to see a photo, knew nothing about it, commented that I'd lose my freedom or other assorted responses. All of which are what I'd expect.

Collections are weddings, own babies and retirements. Occasionally significant birthdays get a quick whip round or a pint if you have a night out. Anything more becomes ridiculous.

floraeasy Wed 19-Apr-17 15:06:50

Collections are getting out of all control IMO. I agree with the management! Times are tough at the moment, surely we could do with reducing the collections at work not increasing them?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now