Talk

Advanced search

toilet etiquette

(15 Posts)
PookieDo Wed 19-Apr-17 10:58:38

Communal office toilets.

If you accidentally block a toilet yourself, or realise a toilet is blocked and you have no access to cleaning equipment or toilet unblocking equipment do you:

A. Leave it and the cleaner will sort it out
B. Attempt to unblock it yourself

I honestly am intrigued by this. We have a blocked toilet frequently and people just seem to leave it

NoSherryForMe Wed 19-Apr-17 11:03:13

If there's no cleaning equipment or anything to plunge it with, how are you supposed to try and unblock it?

PookieDo Wed 19-Apr-17 11:04:14

I agree! It's like a catch 22

honeysucklejasmine Wed 19-Apr-17 11:04:56

Can't you report it to site manager?

Sirzy Wed 19-Apr-17 11:05:40

I would report it. If there is nothing to use to clear it what else are you meant to do?

NoSherryForMe Wed 19-Apr-17 11:05:56

If there's an office manager, I'd probably mention it to him or her.

OOAOML Wed 19-Apr-17 11:08:42

We don't have cleaning equipment in the toilets, but we can phone and report issues, and they are dealt with. That's quite a large organisation, so they have maintenance staff on-site.

MsVestibule Wed 19-Apr-17 11:23:44

Neither A or B! How would either you or the cleaner unblock a toilet without the proper equipment?

MusicToMyEars800 Wed 19-Apr-17 11:34:16

I am a cleaner, and people that work in the building I clean use the toilet brush to unblock the toilet, then put it back into the holder envy <<<< not envy, it makes me gag... and I have to then clean the brush and holder! i think they should keep a plunger on site or something along those lines.

ofshoes Wed 19-Apr-17 11:36:57

I would mention it to the office manager but I'd make out that it was the work of some other dirty clart

Crapuccino Wed 19-Apr-17 11:45:44

I stick a note on the cubicle door and then let facilities know. (We have a haunted/bogey/rebellious toilet that blocks all the damned time even if you do nothing more than have a wee. Drives me fucking nuts. I wouldn't even try to fix it for fear of making the situation worse.)

It's the not-alerting-the-next-potential-victim that bugs me more than anything. Toilets break, just like anything. The least you can do is not leave some poor person to face that spine-chilling horror of flushing and then seeing the bowl filling, and filling, and filling, and OH MY GOD IT'S OVERFLOWING.

nothercupoftea Wed 19-Apr-17 12:13:05

report it and ideally leave a note on the door

basically leave to problem for someone else to deal with

harderandharder2breathe Wed 19-Apr-17 12:22:49

Having dealt with much toilet dramas at summer camp, my experience is it's entirely divided by sex. The women would come to tell us as soon as a toilet wasn't flushing, by the time they'd walked across the field to tell us and we'd walked across to check it out the cistern had filled properly and it flushed and all was fine. If there was s problem we closed that toilet or the block and nobody went near it til it was fixed. The men did not see fit to tell us anything was wrong and would literally shit on top of shit on top of shitenvy <--- not envy! Meaning we had to get the professionals out to sort it because they'd let it go so far. They also kept reopening the toilet we closed (we locked it, had duct tape over the lock, and a sign). It was closed because it wasn't fixed to the floor properly so leaked whenever it was used.

TheViceOfReason Wed 19-Apr-17 12:52:28

i had the opposite experience to harderandharder - i worked at a national trust property years ago and the womens toilets were always by far the more disgusting.

Overflowing bowls of shit and sanitary items - lock a door and put up an out of order sign and it would still get used. The mens toilets were not once in the same state.

Allthewaves Wed 19-Apr-17 12:55:46

Put sign on door saying 'toilet blocked - do not use'

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now