Talk

Advanced search

Neighbour walking dog with no lead

(6 Posts)
candypanda283 Wed 19-Apr-17 10:27:17

We've recently moved to a small estate where lots of young families live. One of our neighbours has 3 large dogs who are a bit intimidating as they throw themselves at the gate if you walk past or pull up in the car.

Anyway..daily she walks them one at a time with no lead on, they run across all the gardens and poo.
My main concern is whether they jump up or hurt my children when we go out for a walk.

The neighbours are definitely not approachable as they have been really rude when we've had deliveries for them.

AIBU for thinking they should be on a lead while on the estate?

LadyPW Wed 19-Apr-17 11:09:35

There's nothing wrong with having dogs off-lead on an estate if they're well-behaved (though I don't like seeing dogs walked off-lead along a road because you never what could spook them). In terms of them throwing themselves at the gate - well they're protecting their property. Yes it can be scary but as long as they're securely retained...
But YANBU in that they should not be allowed to run across the gardens and poo. That's just thoughtless & anti-social. But to be honest they sound as if they'd let them poo anywhere if they were on lead (and jump up) so..... You could try contacting the council?

user1492458803 Wed 19-Apr-17 11:12:11

www.gov.uk/control-dog-public/overview

Blobby10 Wed 19-Apr-17 11:15:41

My two elderly dogs are incredibly well behaved and obedient labradors but I would NEVER walk them off a lead!! 1. because I dont class that as 'under proper control' as they could dart off after a cat or rabbit if they want and 2) because they are, at heart, wild animals governed by their sense of smell and instinct and not humans taught the green cross code so could, at any time, dart out onto the road and cause an accident. or go into someones garden!!

however I see lots of people around my estate walking their dogs without leads and am a bit confused

WiddlinDiddling Wed 19-Apr-17 12:04:45

I think its bloody stupid and irresponsible.

This owner stands liable for action under the control of dogs act - she needs to keep her dogs under control AND they must not cause someone reasonable fear of injury.

Doesn't sound like she is achieving that!

harderandharder2breathe Wed 19-Apr-17 12:17:52

I hate seeing dogs off lead on the pavement of even a quiet road. Because even the most well behaved, placid dog can be spooked or smell something awesome or see someone they absolutely must say hello to and dart into the road. It makes me nervous.

It's not ok to let their dogs go over other people's gardens and definitely not ok to let them poo there!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now