Talk

Advanced search

AIBU to hope the Tories break the triple lock

(5 Posts)
TrueBlueYorkshire Wed 19-Apr-17 09:32:48

Their manifesto says it is only guaranteed until the next parliament. It is putting to much of a burden on the younger generation.

MilkTrayLimeBarrel Wed 19-Apr-17 09:41:11

Oh what a shame - so it's OK for older people who have, in the main, worked all their lives and maybe even saved some money, to see their income eroded year after year?

beachbodyunready Wed 19-Apr-17 09:42:47

I don't think that anyone should have their income eroded year after year and perhaps the burden should be shared out a bit more fairly between all the generations.

BarbaraofSeville Wed 19-Apr-17 09:48:16

The current generation of 65-75 ish YOs have had advantages that those older or younger will never have.

Earlier retirement, final salary pensions, being able buy a family house on one ordinary working salary, triple lock pensions to name a few and while it continues, it's just heaping the cost onto younger people who will have none of these things.

And not all have 'worked all their lives'. Many women of that generation have never worked, or only ever worked part time, while the men retired by 65. People under 40 face working until 70+ for far smaller pensions.

MsHooliesCardigan Wed 19-Apr-17 09:58:47

Milk I get really fed up of 'worked hard all our/their lives' trotted out constantly. I'm not saying that many (but not all) pensioners have worked hard but they worked hard at a time when working hard got you somewhere. I work hard and I'm sure my DCs will but they probably still won't be able to buy a house. Also, because many pensioners were able to survive on one income (yet still be able to buy a house), a lot of women from that generation have only ever worked part time or not at all after having children. Also, many of those now in their 60's and 70's were able to take early retirement and recieved an extremely generous occupational pension.
Young people have taken a massively disproportionate hit in terms of cuts. The reason that pensioners have been left alone by this government is because they are far more likely to vote than other age groups and they're far more likely to vote Tory. IDS basically said that the reason the govt are fine with hitting the same ground of people again and again is because 'they don't vote for us'.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now