Talk

Advanced search

To be dreading the next eight weeks?

(23 Posts)
Itisnoteasybeingdifferent Wed 19-Apr-17 07:29:22

Unless N Korea/USA try to start a war, there will be nothing in the news bar election comments, repeat comments, analysis, analysis on analysis coment on analysis, latest ya-boo, etc etc...

Amockingjayhey Wed 19-Apr-17 07:33:45

Yep! Don't read the news

NewIdeasToday Wed 19-Apr-17 07:34:19

Boring as the election will be, I'd rather Trump and North Korea did t kick off just to spice up the headlines!

There's always Pippa's wedding as a distraction - will Meghan get an invitation, will she upstage the bride.......?

Itisnoteasybeingdifferent Wed 19-Apr-17 07:36:41

Mokingjay
Would love to but you get the news stuffed in your face every hour if you listen to the radio... as I do

SoyaCoconutOrAlmond Wed 19-Apr-17 07:38:25

Well, you do know the time and can switch off then!

That being said, I know what you mean. smile

MrsExpo Wed 19-Apr-17 07:42:25

I'm another one who will be doing my best to avoid it all. Think I'll be taking the dog for lots of long walks over the next few weeks. ARGH!!!

dudsville Wed 19-Apr-17 07:46:41

I turned off the news 6 months ago. It's weird at first but you get used to it. It's surprisingly easy to avoid. The pop up news bits on music radio stations are light. Even if they do cover something serious for 30 seconds it's followed by a story akin to who burped where.

luckylucky24 Wed 19-Apr-17 08:05:12

I find it very easy to avoid news. Turn radio off or just tune out when news comes on. Don't read online or papers. Don't watch TV news.

BigGreenOlives Wed 19-Apr-17 08:06:25

I'm dreading the next 8 weeks as DC has GCSEs and they seem to be dragged out until mid June.

morningconstitutional2017 Wed 19-Apr-17 08:06:41

I know what you mean. Journalists on the radio/telly are falling over themselves with over-excitement.
OTOH don't we end up with the politics we deserve if we take no interest in it at all?
As for callers at the front door, you can knock up a sign on your printer along the lines of, "All political parties campaigning for the election do not knock on my door please just B*&%$r Off!" or words to that effect.

MiaowTheCat Wed 19-Apr-17 08:10:10

I'm the child of two journalists - I love news (hell it kept a roof over my head when I was a kiddo) and I'm the sort who'll hunker down for a good night of election coverage at the slightest provocation - but I hate rolling news when there's nothing new to report and they're just wittering on to fill airtime. Hell my degree's in politics and the wittering around about nothing yet is doing my head in already.

Ceto Wed 19-Apr-17 08:22:48

Why "dreading"? What you seem concerned about is there being nothing that interests you in the news. It's hardly dreadful, is it? Turn it off and read a book.

Outbackshack Wed 19-Apr-17 08:27:31

I go back to work from mat leave the week of the election. Dreading that and now get a rolling up to date news update of how many weeks I have left! Does not help

Itisnoteasybeingdifferent Wed 19-Apr-17 08:52:04

As Miaow says,
It is the rolling repeat of what was said an hour ago that gets almost nauseating.

Politicians think they have done something when they stand up and talk. Talking is all they ever do.

KathArtic Wed 19-Apr-17 08:55:19

Dreading? My DH is positively wetting himself with excitement. He loves a good election and all the coverage and analysis. He'll be up all night on 8th June.

Amockingjayhey Wed 19-Apr-17 09:07:25

But I'm guessing no one is forcing you to listen to the news ?! Go to the library and grab some good books to read instead ? I'm confused why you would have to listen to something you find boring

glueandstick Wed 19-Apr-17 09:13:34

Listen to a foreign radio station (preferably one you don't speak) and you'll have no idea what's going on. It's ace grin

Hillarious Wed 19-Apr-17 10:12:17

Dreading it. DP is an elections manager. His staff will be recovering from the local and mayoral elections and some had booked leave in early June (quite reasonably, given the fixed term parliaments and the statement from the PM that she wouldn't call a snap election), so that's all up in the air now.

Meanwhile, in the next 8 weeks the Hillarious household also has GCSEs, A levels and university exams!

IHaveBrilloHair Wed 19-Apr-17 10:16:08

Thank goodness for netflix

Ceto Wed 19-Apr-17 10:57:19

It is the rolling repeat of what was said an hour ago that gets almost nauseating.

So turn it off. There are an awful lot of radio and TV channels, or you could put on a recording. Or go out and do something else. No-one is forcing you to listen to rollling repeats.

VladmirsPoutine Wed 19-Apr-17 11:00:14

I don't understand when people want to actively pursue ignorance by avoiding the news confused. Why wouldn't an active participant of society seek to remain ignorant about the issues that affect their very lives?

Hillarious Wed 19-Apr-17 11:13:56

VladmirsPoutine - it's not that people want to actively pursue ignorance, it's more that we're bombarded with journalists who just want to take sound bites or trip politicians up with their "clever" questions and assumptions, and never allow them to say what they want to say, and that includes answering the questions a lot of the time, particularly when it's not being answered in the trippy up way the journalist was hoping for.

The Today Programme becomes a battlefield that makes the Radio One breakfast show seem more appealing by the day (and that's saying something).

Itisnoteasybeingdifferent Wed 19-Apr-17 21:06:19

Vladmirs,
Whilst I agree with you about persuing ignorance, I do question, what is the actual news? The news can be said in one sentance.

"The prime minister has called an election in June"

After that everything becomes comment, speculation, analysis, more speculation, sound bites from wanabe politicos, soundbites from has-been politicians and the rest. Thee is no "news".

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now