Talk

Advanced search

Welsh wedding invitation.

(654 Posts)
Spikeyplant Tue 18-Apr-17 22:39:14

Just as it says in the title really.

My DH has a significantly younger relative who is getting married this summer. We have just received an invitation to the wedding, written entirely in Welsh. Neither DH or I speak Welsh and the bride and groom are well aware of this.

I am totally cool with somebody who grew up in a Welsh first language family wanting to celebrate their wedding in their language. However I can't help feeling it is a bit rude to send out invitations in a language many guests can't understand without even a short note in a mutually spoken language.

AIBU?

Graceflorrick Tue 18-Apr-17 22:41:13

I think that's lovely, what a novelty halo

nogrip Tue 18-Apr-17 22:43:43

Arseholes

Pinkypierainbowdash Tue 18-Apr-17 22:43:43

Just google translate it and also send a reply using translate it will make her daysmile

Unless your the type to moan about wedding but still go and drink the wine and eat the foodwink

BarbarianMum Tue 18-Apr-17 22:43:54

I don't think you are. And can only assume that they don't want you there. I'd bin it.

Our family is pretty multi-lingual and translation is a big feature of communications between the different branches.

Leeds2 Tue 18-Apr-17 22:44:43

Ignore it, if you don't understand what it says.

AlwaysTheWinner Tue 18-Apr-17 22:45:04

Priodas means wedding if that helps you translate it at all! grin
YANBU, they should have provided a bilingual version or translation for the non-Welsh speakers.

228agreenend Tue 18-Apr-17 22:46:02

If it's in Welsh, do you understand when and where it is?

I agree that there should be a note with the details in English.

I went to a Welsh uni. All the posters etc had to be bi-lingual. I really liked that.

Allthewaves Tue 18-Apr-17 22:46:02

yep rude - they should have put a translation underneath

Noteventhebestdrummer Tue 18-Apr-17 22:46:33

Is it a poem?

Wolfiefan Tue 18-Apr-17 22:46:41

Have you turned it over? Definitely not English one side and Welsh the other? confused

TheAntiBoop Tue 18-Apr-17 22:49:21

rude - when we got married we sent english invites (date place map etc understandable) but put in a handwritten note in the other language

i would assume they don't want you there!

NightWanderer Tue 18-Apr-17 22:50:28

If the invitation is Welsh only then I guess the ceremony, speeches, etc will be Welsh only. I'd probably just skip it.

maras2 Tue 18-Apr-17 22:50:42

Live dangerously'
Use Google translate.smile
nogrip How rude.

PeaFaceMcgee Tue 18-Apr-17 22:51:01

Don't be so lazy - it's not exactly hard to translate online is it? Would amuse me. Send reply back in Elvish.

GreenFox17 Tue 18-Apr-17 22:51:54

I speak Welsh if you need someone to translate grin

Mrskeats Tue 18-Apr-17 22:51:58

Rude thing to do
I would reply in Latin

Catsize Tue 18-Apr-17 22:53:16

Please tell me there is a grabby poem in Cymraeg?

Spikeyplant Tue 18-Apr-17 22:53:54

Thanks all, I have turned over the invitation, shaken out the envelope in case of a note, nothing.

As BarbarianMum and TheAntiBoop said, it does feel like they don't want us there and have only sent the invitation to keep the parents happy or a misplaced sense of who they should invite.

ChaiTeaTaiChi Tue 18-Apr-17 22:54:36

Yeah, those Welsh people, using Welsh, for their Welsh wedding.
Welsh bastards.

PeaFaceMcgee Tue 18-Apr-17 22:55:40

Am I the only one who would find this funny? Unless there's a backstory, why would they be trying to be rude?

TheAntiBoop Tue 18-Apr-17 22:55:54

it's not about the language - it's about making an effort for your guests. so they actually know what they are being invited to, when, where etc etc

Wolfiefan Tue 18-Apr-17 22:55:58

Of course they should use Welsh. But they can't expect friends and relatives who only speak English to learn a new language to decide if they can attend the wedding or not?! confused

PeaFaceMcgee Tue 18-Apr-17 22:56:52

Stop feeling sorry for yourself and crack on with translating it. I'd love the challenge?

NightWanderer Tue 18-Apr-17 22:57:46

I'd feel like they're trying to prove a point. We had a bilingual wedding and provided translation for the speeches etc.

We didn't want any of our guests to feel left out.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now