To think I have given us all food poisoning?!

(68 Posts)
choccywoccywoowah Tue 18-Apr-17 22:13:37

Cooked some Tesco vacuum packed smoked haddock with a cheese sauce for tea tonight - myself, OH and dc. Smelt a bit pissy on opening, but whatever - never had this particular fish before and the smell was not exactly overpowering. I assumed that OH had defrosted it the night before as he usually pulls something out of the freezer before he goes to bed.

Tasted fine. Until he informed me that it had been defrosted over a week ago! It was also dated 23rd of March. I never bother about use by dates if something has been frozen, but having been defrosted for a WEEK?!

Also after a quick Google, it appears fish smelling of ammonia should definitely be avoided....confused and something about smoked fish being one of the worst culprits for FP.

OH thinks I am worrying unnecessarily. This is probably a rare AIBU in that I hope I am swiftly told that IABU...

In the case that I am not being unreasonable, any tips on mitigating this fishy crisis?

PieceOfTheMoon Tue 18-Apr-17 22:20:17

Oh no. I'm not sure there is much you can do about it now, except go to bed with a bucket, some water and flannels a d hope for the best.
How old are DC, I would keep a close eye on them just in case.
Hope you are all OK!

PeaFaceMcgee Tue 18-Apr-17 22:20:28

Aiiieee. Batten down the hatches. Don't suppose you can get hold of some activated charcoal pills and / or pepto bismol?

FanaticalFox Tue 18-Apr-17 22:24:31

Wtf?! Why would he defrost it a week ago. Definitely prepare for the worst. I'd probably leave him too grin

choccywoccywoowah Tue 18-Apr-17 22:31:59

He said he was meant to bin it, but forgot. And the bastard left to work away for two weeks tonight (after kindly informing me the fish was a week old after we had just eaten it).

I might take some responsibility as I clearly didn't notice it in the fridge. It must have been hiding.

Positive thinking is a known preventative for food poisoning right?!

choccywoccywoowah Tue 18-Apr-17 22:32:42

Dc are 2 and 4 so it will be horrific if the worst happens. They are in bed with me tonight anyway.

Imaginingdragonsagain Tue 18-Apr-17 22:34:02

Did he eat it too? Positive thinking will work wonders!

choccywoccywoowah Tue 18-Apr-17 22:39:58

No, he looked at me in disgust when I told him what was for tea.

user1471558436 Tue 18-Apr-17 22:41:19

What time did you eat it? Do you feel ok at the moment?

AprilLudgateDwyer Tue 18-Apr-17 22:41:56

Doesn't poisoning from fish usually happen pretty quickly? When did you eat it?

cushioncovers Tue 18-Apr-17 22:48:46

How's everyone so far op?

AndNowItIsSeven Tue 18-Apr-17 22:50:13

That doesn't sound good, hope you are all ok.

punkpuffin Tue 18-Apr-17 22:51:28

Good poisoning tends to show fairly quickly. Hope you are all ok

plimsolls Tue 18-Apr-17 22:53:48

Hopefully the vacuum packed aspect has helped keep the bacteria from multiplying out? (I don't know how but maybe it works like that )

PoliticalBiscuit Tue 18-Apr-17 22:54:18

He didn't eat it but let you eat it? shock

choccywoccywoowah Tue 18-Apr-17 23:04:25

We has already had tea, his was waiting for him when he got home. He is not that much of an arse hmm We ate it around 6.30pm.

I have a slight stomach ache but that may be because I am worrying about it. Children are fast asleep. So OK at the moment. I'm going to try to sleep as I will worry myself all night and will probably mentally induce symptoms.

Keep your fingers crossed that I have a positive update in the morning!

Fig678 Tue 18-Apr-17 23:05:58

Hope you're all ok OP and what pp's said, with fish it's supposed to happen quickly so if you're ok through the night, you'll be fine

Weedsnseeds1 Tue 18-Apr-17 23:09:01

On the plus side, the vacuum packing will prevent most pathogens from multiplying and the salt and smoke are anti-eastern. On the negative side, Clostridium Botulinum, which is reasonably deadly, is an anaerobe, so perfectly suited to producing deadly toxins in a vacuum pack..
Joking aside, there's always extra life built in to this type of product, so as long as your fridge works OK, you'll probably live.

Weedsnseeds1 Tue 18-Apr-17 23:10:00

Anti-eastern? Bacterial, not Eastern!

Crapuccino Tue 18-Apr-17 23:10:17

Isn't there something about eating carbon for preventing... food poisoning... or something.

Incidentally, I am not a medical doctor.

As you can probably tell by that diagnosis.

witchofzog Tue 18-Apr-17 23:11:27

Thinking of you all. There really is not much worse than waiting for a house to come down with sickness. Fingers crossed op

LostSight Tue 18-Apr-17 23:15:41

It's been in the fridge? It'll probably be fine. Use-by and best before recommendations apparently allow for the fact that some people will be really poor at following the instructions. Anyway, the fish is smoked in order to preserve it. It's also vacuum packed. If the cheese sauce tasted fine, there's a good chance you'll have no problems ar all.

Pancakeflipper Tue 18-Apr-17 23:19:04

Surely it would stink when cooking it if off?
Hope you and the children have sweet dreams

grumpysquash3 Tue 18-Apr-17 23:20:52

If it was vacuum packed and not pierced or punctured, it should keep a lot longer than a fish off the counter. I would bet a pound you are all fine. A fiver even smile

mumofthemonsters808 Tue 18-Apr-17 23:22:23

In my experience food poisoning tends to strike when you least expect it. I've never had it off something iffy, it's always come when I've eaten something I thought was fine.Its always come rapidly too, I hope you're all ok, it can be an horrendous experience.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now