Talk

Advanced search

Teenage son stinks of BO despite good hygiene and deodorant

(71 Posts)
TheMatriarchyRules Tue 18-Apr-17 21:18:37

I don't want to mean and am not rude or mean or bring it up with him at all. It's the same every season whether he does sport or not. Clean shirts in the morning stink in the evening. It's a bit of a problem. Bed sheets really smell as well. It's like a boy smell.

He lives with me full time and i am the only mother figure he has so it is in my business before posters accuse me of interfering. I also have to do the washing.

Believeitornot Tue 18-Apr-17 21:20:12

Do you wash his things at a hot enough temperature on a long enough cycle?

MrsNuckyThompson Tue 18-Apr-17 21:20:30

Gosh you sound very defensive! I think it is quite normal to be worried about this and don't think anyone would accuse you of interfering!

Maybe a change in deodorant would help, possibly to an extra strength brand. Or a trip to GP...?

Wolfiefan Tue 18-Apr-17 21:20:33

Is he using a spray deodorant or an actual anti perspirant?

Believeitornot Tue 18-Apr-17 21:20:52

Also ishe wearing cotton shirts and does he have cotton bedding?

SantanicoPandemonium Tue 18-Apr-17 21:21:45

The smell could be lingering in his clothes and getting worse as they warm up. Try biological washing powder and not using fabric softener.

RoganJosh Tue 18-Apr-17 21:22:03

What deodorant does he use? It's not just a smelly one that doesn't stop sweating is it?

RedBugMug Tue 18-Apr-17 21:22:54

is he actually washing with soap?
my ds likes to get wet and I have to remind him...
also his bedding needs washing more often and dirty socks retrieved from under the bed envy <- boak that is.

RedBugMug Tue 18-Apr-17 21:23:43

and yes to washing bedding and underwear at hot temperatures (60 at least)

PietariKontio Tue 18-Apr-17 21:24:33

My son went through a phase of this, washed well, used deodorant, but nothing helped. Grew out of it though.

Brown76 Tue 18-Apr-17 21:24:58

Change deodorant regularly if a roll on (or use spray). Use a strong brand. Try showering in the morning and evening or a quick was before bed. Use bio washing powder. Cotton shirts that can be washed at high temp. Maybe some anti bacterial soap?

PinkCrystal Tue 18-Apr-17 21:26:02

Decent deoderant. Try a few roll on ones amd reapply often.

Is he on any medications? Some can cause increased sweating.

Sittinginthesun Tue 18-Apr-17 21:26:51

Is he showering twice a day? What deodorant is he using?

Zeitgei5t Tue 18-Apr-17 21:27:25

Is he drinking enough water during the day?

Religionorno Tue 18-Apr-17 21:27:58

Lynx makes my husband stink, it's horrible. After sport (serious running), he washes his t-shirt in the shower with him, even 40 degree wash doesn't make it properly clean unless he does this. Change deodorant.

Mummybear8 Tue 18-Apr-17 21:28:23

I have had a problem with sweating since going on contraception at 16. I have searched high and low for a deodorant that works and have only just found one well into adulthood.
Two things I do that have changed my sweating habits;
1- wash pits/feet with proper bar soap. I like pears personally.
2- Mitchum cream deodorant stick (not roll on or spray). It's the only one of hundreds I've tried that properly works and they sell it for men and women. I buy mine in sainsburys and it costs about £2.
Hope this helps, I know how embarrassing it is to smell sweaty even when your hygienic and I feel for your son

user1483387154 Tue 18-Apr-17 21:29:15

Try different deoderants, shower morning and evening, very hot washes for bedding and clothing, make sure he changes his clothes every day

tralaaa Tue 18-Apr-17 21:29:33

Does he have gelled hair and is not washing it well enough - are you washing his clothes in a hot long wash - is he washing property- when you you iron his clothes and run the iron over the armpit does it smell

thatorchidmoment Tue 18-Apr-17 21:30:11

Yy to cotton clothing, bedding and underwear. Wash at 60, as low temperatures are not brilliant at dealing with the sweaty pong. Change bedding at least weekly. Open his windows through the day to air out the stale teen boy smell in his room! Make sure he is using a proper antiperspirant (the ones that claim 48 hour effectiveness are lying, but should last a day!).

A good shower gel could help: original source minty one has tea tree which has some antibacterial properties for pits and bits.

I'm not looking forward to this stage with my boys! Doesn't help that I have a very acute sense of smell.

TondelayaDellaVentamiglia Tue 18-Apr-17 21:30:22

is he showering in the morning? Sometimes an evening shower just is not enough

also second the hot wash/biological detergent and natural fibres, also line dry rather than tumble.

Dothehokeykokey Tue 18-Apr-17 21:30:51

I stink if I only use deodorant, decent anti perspirent all the way.

My shirts and t shirsts stunk after a bit of wear if we use non bio powder or any liquid for washing clothes. Biological powder all the way:

TheMatriarchyRules Tue 18-Apr-17 21:31:06

He uses L'Oréal roll on it says it's effective up to 45c.

expatinscotland Tue 18-Apr-17 21:31:39

Halo sports wash for all his clothes and bedding, 60 degree wash. Two times/day shower with castille soap and a strong anti-perspirant.

RavioliOnToast Tue 18-Apr-17 21:33:15

Driclor is amazing. It's really effective. You apply at night and wash off in the morning.

Boulshired Tue 18-Apr-17 21:33:15

DS1 could shower twice a day and still smell, he uses triple dry its more expensive but extremely good. It has to be used after a shower at night.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now