Talk

Advanced search

*Trigger Warning* AIBU to not understand how this YouTuber isn't being investigated for child abuse?

(565 Posts)
milkmilklemonade12 Tue 18-Apr-17 18:19:52

So I actually found out about this channel via another large forum I post on. Essentially, a YouTube channel which is called DaddyOFive (it's reasonably large, around three quarters of a million subscribers) centres around a blog made by the father, with 5 children. The upshot of it is, people were angry about how the family, lead by the father; bully one of their children Cody, and pass it off as just 'good old fashioned parenting!'

At first until I checked out the videos I honestly thought it couldn't be that bad. I was horribly wrong. Some of the videos are entitled:
Dad burns Cody's Pokemon cards
Dad destroys son's DS
Dad forces son to throw away his toys
I'm sending Cody to military school

In their most recent video, because Cody had been bad (smeared poop on the walls; a recognised sign of abuse and distress), they took all the other kids to DisneyLand.

These videos are horrific, and despite them being located in the US, I really feel like CPS should be investigating and YouTube should shut the channel down for child abuse.

If you can bear to watch the videos, the guy's name is DaddyOFive, and I'd urge you to take a few minutes and report their videos for child abuse. I really don't understand how in this day and age, this kind of thing isn't investigated more quickly. The child is sobbing, and regularly in horrendous distress at the bullying at the hands of his parents and siblings, so these videos could trigger people; that's why I haven't directly linked them and why I've placed a warning on the top of my post.

milkmilklemonade12 Tue 18-Apr-17 18:20:49

The worst part of it is, they seem to have a large fan base, they even have a merchandise line, and they get tens of thousands of likes on these videos. People think this is okay, and it is absolutely not.

SherlockPotter Tue 18-Apr-17 18:25:08

Ohh... I thought you were on about the SacconeJolys then. Are the video titles click bait?

milkmilklemonade12 Tue 18-Apr-17 18:26:45

No, they actually break his DS in front of his face as punishment, and they send him to his grandmother's house with the dogs whilst his siblings celebrate going to Disney, and his mother calls him 'fucking crazy'.

OutnumberedbyFurchesters Tue 18-Apr-17 18:28:26

Ditto with Sherlock thought this was going to be the SacconeJolys.

I've never heard of them. I hope they're not as bad as it sounds.

MrsMeeseeks Tue 18-Apr-17 18:29:05

Please don't watch... It's very upsetting.

AnUnhappyStudent Tue 18-Apr-17 18:32:18

Just watched part of one. It is so awful. The man is a cunt

milkmilklemonade12 Tue 18-Apr-17 18:33:04

MrsMeeseeks it is isn't it? Love the username btw. Wubbalubbadubdub.

iloveowls24 Tue 18-Apr-17 18:33:04

Just watched the most recent video (the disneyland one) and reported straight away. Is there a way to report the whole channel? Awful

redwinerequired Tue 18-Apr-17 18:34:11

He's awful. I can't understand the fan base or the hatred towards Cody. That poor boy.

milkmilklemonade12 Tue 18-Apr-17 18:34:15

Thank you so much everyone for reporting!! I'm so grateful; strength in numbers and all that.

iloveowls I don't know, I'll try and find out.

MrsMeeseeks Tue 18-Apr-17 18:38:30

Hehe, thanks milkmilk grin

RedDogsBeg Tue 18-Apr-17 18:40:44

Can you only report by viewing?

IsadoraJ Tue 18-Apr-17 18:40:51

I read about this on Reddit a couple of days ago, people there have reported them to child protection I think.. it's awful what they're doing to their poor children. I hate that the videos are getting views and earning them money but more awareness might help the abuse to stop.

JustDanceAddict Tue 18-Apr-17 18:46:47

How do you report? Just watched some

JessKM Tue 18-Apr-17 18:47:31

Gosh I watched one and it's made me feel a bit sick (one with a ninetendo DS) that man is a monster and that little boy is clearly very very unhappy.

Looking in his comments he appears to live in Damascus, Maryland - perhaps an email from a lot of people of concern to their local DCFS may trigger more concern than YouTube?

JustDanceAddict Tue 18-Apr-17 18:47:34

Watch Ranting Monkey talking about it rather thN the actual videos so they won't get the hits

StarlitTrees Tue 18-Apr-17 18:49:52

I've never heard of them, but I imagine from what you've said, if they're not already being investigated by CPS they soon will be.

www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/article/39627969/youtube-pranksters-daddyofive-deny-child-abuse-claims

JessKM Tue 18-Apr-17 18:50:03

The email address of Maryland children's services is info@fcsmd.org

StarlitTrees Tue 18-Apr-17 18:51:18

I'd also agree with not going and watching them. All you're doing is giving them hits and putting money in his pocket. Surely there's a way to just report a channel?

TenThousandSpoons Tue 18-Apr-17 18:53:44

Sorry to go off at a tangent but why did people think this might be about the SacconeJolys? Thought their channel was ok...

FeedTheSharkAndItWIllBite Tue 18-Apr-17 18:54:14

Never heard of that. But it sounds horrific.

I wonder if reporting it will have possibly any kind of positive result?
Or if the videos may simply be taken down (and the poor child would still end up being abused)?

DearMrDilkington Tue 18-Apr-17 18:56:48

Is he genuinely upsetting his ds or is there a chance it's all an act that his ds is an aware of?
It sounds like a very strange thing to put on YouTube if it's genuine child abuse.

I'm shocked anyone would be watching these videos, joke or not.confused

LunaMay Tue 18-Apr-17 18:58:54

Do they have ads on or before the videos? Is it always the same one? Maybe you could tweet the companies asking if they know they're associated with the videos? I remember robdyke saying things had changed with YouTube as advertisers were becoming aware of some of the stuff their ads were being played on??

JessKM Tue 18-Apr-17 19:00:52

dearmr I thought that too initially but he's far to young for it not to be damaging. From the short clip I saw I'd put him around 7/8 years old - too young to be 'in on it'

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now