Talk

Advanced search

AIBU to not understand why "normal" people vote Tory?

(1000 Posts)
olddogsnewtricks Tue 18-Apr-17 15:37:27

OK, so I'll probably get flamed for this but am genuinely interested! All the people I know who vote Tory are pretty well off so use private schools and healthcare. As a family we need the NHS and we need a good education system - and I can't see them getting any better under the Tories. Are these just not priorities for Tory voters or do they really believe they will improve even with a Conservative government?

AnnaFiveTowns Tue 18-Apr-17 15:46:38

I think that most people fail to understand the ideology behind the political parties. Many Tory voters do not realise that they would like to get rid of public services and privatise them all if they could. So I think it's just political ignorance really; not helped by the overwhelmingly right wing media.

LiviaDrusillaAugusta Tue 18-Apr-17 15:47:56

Ah political ignorance - that has to be a record for a 'why vote Tory' thread

dementedma Tue 18-Apr-17 15:48:28

freedom of choice?
Labour or SNP as an alternative??

woolythoughts Tue 18-Apr-17 15:49:16

Define normal?

What income bracket do you think you have to be to be normal?

KingJoffreysRestingCuntface Tue 18-Apr-17 15:49:39

Because they want to?

PlayOnWurtz Tue 18-Apr-17 15:50:15

Cannot roll my eyes enough! If I rolled them more I'd be a teenager

AnnaFiveTowns Tue 18-Apr-17 15:50:16

Why else would teaching assistants at our local school, who will almost certainly lose their jobs if these Tory education cuts go ahead, vote Tory? I'm sorry but it is political ignorance.

harderandharder2breathe Tue 18-Apr-17 15:50:24

Same reason people who need Obama care voted for Trump I guess... there's other policies that they do like/they don't like the alternative options/they don't realise it will affect them

whatisgoingon1 Tue 18-Apr-17 15:50:27

political ignorance precisely

Banjopluckface Tue 18-Apr-17 15:50:36

I was shocked to discover that my very lovely, normal friend was a life-long Tory. She has since come to her senses after witnessing the disaster that has become of the education and health system.

mommybunny Tue 18-Apr-17 15:50:38

Yes.

Thingsthatmakeugoummmm Tue 18-Apr-17 15:51:04

Echo freedom of choice as well as democracy! Who are you to determine 'normal'

MyBeautifulSquid Tue 18-Apr-17 15:51:44

Political ignorance and believing the (overwhelmingly right wing biased) media

LiviaDrusillaAugusta Tue 18-Apr-17 15:51:53

And probably because they can vote for whom ever they wish, what with it being a free country and all.

Just as many left wing voters are guilty of 'political ignorance'. And someone actually started a thread asking why people don't like JC - he's so nice apparently confused. Hardly hard hitting political insight there grin

InfiniteSheldon Tue 18-Apr-17 15:52:04

Single working parent here that voted Tory I'd take your blinkers off if I was you.

olddogsnewtricks Tue 18-Apr-17 15:52:41

What income bracket do you think you have to be to be normal?

I mean an average salary but unable to afford private healthcarer or schools.

BartholinsSister Tue 18-Apr-17 15:52:42

Perhaps they don't believe things would be any better under a different government.

LiviaDrusillaAugusta Tue 18-Apr-17 15:53:49

These threads always go the same way - people call Tory voters thick and ignorant and worse - because it is only those posters who know anything about politics apparently!

OP - why such a goady post? On an overwhelmingly left wing site?

olddogsnewtricks Tue 18-Apr-17 15:53:59

InfiniteSheldon - that's why I posted! Could you explain why e.g. do you think the health service/education system will do better under the Tories or are they not priorities for you?

user1471890338 Tue 18-Apr-17 15:53:59

The Tory voters I personally know fall into three camps:
1. Jeremy Corbyn is a silly little man who didn't sing the national anthem, so I'm not voting for him (even though there are better reasons for not voting for him!)
2. They are borderline sociopaths and believe that all disabled people, chronically ill people and those on benefits, are scroungers and would be better off dead (obviously not talking about all Tory voters here, but this counts for the majority of my family, and yes they are sociopaths who care not a jot for those poor unfortunates who are stupid enough to be struggling).
3. Those who have voted Tory for ever and can't see the point in changing because their vote won't make a difference in an area which has been Tory since the beginning of time.

Broccolirevolution Tue 18-Apr-17 15:54:35

I'd also love to know how the Tory voters with an average income would pay for medical bills (especially if they had a serious illness that insurance wouldn't cover fully) and education.

I really would love to know.

Renaissance2017 Tue 18-Apr-17 15:54:53

Ooooh look! OP doesn't vote Tory but wants to be all sneery about those that do. Whatever makes you feel superior huh OP?

Madbengalmum Tue 18-Apr-17 15:55:08

Maybe, education and the NHS isn't everyone's priority??
Maybe, they would sooner eat their own s*it than vote for the alternative?

olddogsnewtricks Tue 18-Apr-17 15:55:47

Livia - I don't think it's a goady post at all - it's a very specific question! As I said, the only people I know in real life who vote Tory (yes, I must live in a bubble) send their children to private schools and use private health insurance. I can't afford to so the idea of more Tory cuts actually scares me. I would like to hear from someone in my position financially who votes Tory to understand better.

This thread is not accepting new messages.