Talk

Advanced search

To ask UK voters to consider N Ireland in the GE vote

(12 Posts)
KittyOShea Tue 18-Apr-17 15:03:51

This GE will determine whether the UK has a 'hard' or 'soft' Brexit.

A hard Brexit will mean we leave the common travel and trade area. This will have enormous implications for N Ireland. A hard Brexit makes it harder to avoid a hard border between NI and RoI which could have a real impact on the actions of dissident republicans. It also makes a border poll more likely putting the UK at risk of disintegration for both NI and Scotland. A hard Brexit will also affect N Ireland trade more significantly than other areas meaning the need for even more subsidies from the rest of the U.K.

Whilst I am aware that people will vote according to their own priorities AIBU to ask UK voters outside NI to consider the affects on one of the 4 nations of the U.K.

MrsTerryPratchett Tue 18-Apr-17 15:06:54

It things go very wrong in NI it will rebound on the rUK.

KittyOShea Tue 18-Apr-17 15:11:53

Agreed. After living here for 25 years and seeing the enormous and beneficial changes in that time I am very concerned at the impact of a hard Brexit. That seemed like a fait accompli until now when the electorate have a chance to have their say. Unfortunately I don't think people outside NI give it much consideration hence my plea!

KittyOShea Tue 18-Apr-17 21:06:07

Bump

VladmirsPoutine Tue 18-Apr-17 21:13:16

What are you proposing we do? I understand what you've said but how would you urge people to act with regards to what you've said?

Bringmesunshite Tue 18-Apr-17 21:15:42

NI was one of the reasons I voted Remain. Protect the GF agreement.
And now with the Assembly in difficulties, we need the ship to be righted again. And other metaphors.

Let's hope we've all come too far to fuck it up.

KittyOShea Tue 18-Apr-17 21:19:47

Vladimir all I would ask people to do is take it into consideration when choosing who to vote for in the rest of the U.K. Along with all their own concerns. A vote for The Tories is a vote for a hard Brexit. When making that choice I would hope voters consider N Ireland/Scotland/ the impact on the whole UK before putting their mark on the ballot paper.

VladmirsPoutine Tue 18-Apr-17 21:28:31

A vote for The Tories is a vote for a hard Brexit.

Thing is, I don't think this is the case. Theresa May has many hardline Brexiteers in her party waiting to pounce on her should she compromise or make any concessions that would lean toward a 'soft' brexit. I suspect what she's doing is aiming to secure a mandate so she can negotiate a more reasonable deal - by seeking to be elected in her own right she's neutralising the threat from the rightwing fringe elements of her party. Just my 2cents worth anyway.

PinkCrystal Tue 18-Apr-17 21:29:45

I worry a lot about NI. I was about staunch remainer. I would never vote Tory and always vote Labour. For me it is about ideology. I don't want a shitty dog eat dog society.

KittyOShea Tue 18-Apr-17 21:33:49

Vladmir there could be some truth in that and I truly hope you're right if the anticipated Tory victory occurs.

It is good to see some people are considering N Ireland in their voting. Often the moderates here feel totally ignored- in N Ireland itself and in a full UK or Irish basis.

This is another frustrating election for us after the dithering in response to our own and now this one in which we have little, if any, real influence.

RufusTheRenegadeReindeer Tue 18-Apr-17 21:35:47

vlad

It would be nice if that was the case

But by the time we found out it wasnt

It would be too late

FelixtheMouse Tue 18-Apr-17 21:36:59

What Vladimir said.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now