Talk

Advanced search

To think a new ConDem coalition could be possible?

(8 Posts)
SomewhatIdiosyncratic Tue 18-Apr-17 12:20:53

The Conservatives won with a majority two years ago.
Labour are sinking deeper into the political mire and losing voters.
UKIP have achieved their headline agenda of leaving the EU (well initiating the process of) and have lost Nigel Farage who some found charismatic and will probably lose voters.
Scotland has little appetite for another independence referendum and may lose SNP votes.
There is growing support from central ground Lib Dem voters due to the state of alternative parties, and shift to the right of the Conservatives. Lib Dems are attractive to the 48% who voted remain or those who favour a softer Brexit position.

AIBU to think that the Conservatives will have the largest share of the vote, but there is potential for the Lib Dems to recover their position back towards the 2010 result?

TheProblemOfSusan Tue 18-Apr-17 12:23:38

No, because the Lib Dems are completely opposed to Brexit and the Tories are sort-of-but-not-really-anymore split over it. But most of the Tories are still spouting 'will of the people' over the vote (despite most of the electorate not voting for Brexit).

Plus, the Lib Dems got ROYALLY screwed last time when people like me abandoned them for playing along with the Tories in the first place.

ThroughThickAndThin01 Tue 18-Apr-17 12:26:04

I think LibDems will win a huge amount of votes at labours expense. I wish I liked Tim Farron, but I just don't.

Ceto Tue 18-Apr-17 12:26:55

I'd like to see a LibLab coalition, or at least an agreement not to split the vote in weak Conservative seats. But I fear Corbyn won't have the sense to do that.

Huldra Tue 18-Apr-17 12:30:15

LibLab would be more likely.

meditrina Tue 18-Apr-17 12:30:53

UKIP voters may well vote Tory this time.

I doubt there is any prospect of a Con/Dem coalition, as the Lib Dems have painted themselves into a corner such that they cannot work with a Brexit party (ruling out all those who took the largest share of the vote last time).

Early predictions are for Tory landslide. Even if it doesn't come to that, I cannot see that they will have less of a majority than they do now.

alltouchedout Tue 18-Apr-17 12:32:58

LibLab would be good. Won't happen though. I can only see the Tory majority increasing, probably massively.
I really, really want to be wrong.

TreeTop7 Tue 18-Apr-17 12:34:42

Conservatives won't need them. They'll increase their majority.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now