Talk

Advanced search

To just say that I love my MIL

(37 Posts)
Cakescakescakes Tue 18-Apr-17 09:29:55

I know all families are different, and this is not a criticism of those with tricky situations, but I just want to say that my MIL is properly wonderful. She is kind, really thoughtful, adores my DC, is happy to look after them (even though one has ASD and can be challenging). I don't know how I would have got through the last couple of years without her. I am not very close to my own parents so it is really great that we have a good in laws relationship.

So just a little shout out for all the lovely MIL's out there.

JaxingJump Tue 18-Apr-17 09:32:30

Mine is brill too! Never interferes, always helps and is great company too.

DeadMorose Tue 18-Apr-17 09:33:57

And mine. She's just awesome. halo

Helenluvsrob Tue 18-Apr-17 09:34:09

Mine too! I sent her Mother's Day flowers partly because I knew dh wouldn't be also because I wanted to!

BigDamnHero Tue 18-Apr-17 09:34:27

It's a shame people think of MN as a place for MIL bashing. I think it's more the case that people are much more likely to start threads when they're struggling with a difficult MIL than when they're getting on fine.

My MIL is kind and easy to chat to. She has always been nice to me and always tries to respect the way I parent her grandsons. When I read about some of the MILs on here I'm extremely grateful.

Spudlet Tue 18-Apr-17 09:36:07

Mine is in a hospice right now. We're very different people, but I shall miss her when she's gone. And I'm gutted for dh, fil, and that ds won't really remember her. He loves his granny and always has such a big smile for her. It's just shit, frankly.

Not all mils are bad.

Jellymuffin Tue 18-Apr-17 09:39:20

As a mother of (soon to be) 2 boys this makes me so happy to hear. MILs have feelings too! Though I do think complaining about DMs tends to end up on the relationship boards there has been a depressing glut of moany DIL that have absolutely no tolerance - if MIL is helpful she's controlling and smothering (the OP who complained that her MIL wanted to help in the kitchen) if she gives you space she's favouring a mythical golden child or just doesn't care sad.

Thurlow Tue 18-Apr-17 09:39:39

Mine lives a while away and doesnt see the kids as much as she wants but she's still great. Sends little presents in the post and has DD(5) to stay in the school hols. FIL (they're divorced) is fab too. He's moving into our house for a week when DP and I have to go to a foreign wedding, and once came down at last minute - having to get up at 5am to drive down - to look after the 2yo with chicken pox so we could go to work, even though he was in the Navy and never did that with his own kids.

NotTodayBillyRay Tue 18-Apr-17 09:41:04

I love my mil!

Yes we've had issues, and I've probably been mil- bashing at sometimes but she was a bloody brilliant woman and an amazing grandmother.

She died unexpectedly 2 years ago and I miss her more than I thought I would, she did more for my family than my own mum does

Enko Tue 18-Apr-17 09:43:31

I love mine dearly. She will be 90 in June and sadly is not in great health anylonger. I suspect we wont have her around Christmas. I will miss her when she goes. She is a wonderful person. I often say I won the lottery when they handed out MIL's

Liskee Tue 18-Apr-17 09:44:28

Thumbs up from me too for my (soon to be) MIL. 😁

JohnnyMcGrathSaysFuckOff Tue 18-Apr-17 09:45:39

Mine is amazing. I always call her DMiL on here which no one else seems to do.

Eg, DH and I both work ft and have a toddler. Sunday, she brought a roast around to ours, cooked it whilst DFiL and my mum played with DD and I got the laundry done, we all ate, and then she actually took the washing up home!!!!

What a star. We are on a budget and couldn't have afforded such a nice joint and so tired after dinner that the washing up for a whole roast makes my heart sink. She gets all that....

She is lovely!

Laska5772 Tue 18-Apr-17 09:45:47

Me too! my MIL is a great woman .. ( but then she would be , all her kids are great also , so I also love all my BILs and SILs (--even though I do refer to them as The Waltons-- )

derxa Tue 18-Apr-17 09:48:52

I'm off to see mine today. She's a cranky old dear but I wouldn't be without her. I hate MIL bashing threads. I suspect half of them are made up anyway.

nuttyknitter Tue 18-Apr-17 09:50:03

From the other side of the fence ..... I love my DIL! She's an amazing young woman, a wonderful wife to my DS, a very supportive SIL to my DDs and a very good friend to me. I wouldn't change one single thing about her.

RainyDayBear Tue 18-Apr-17 09:55:00

Mine is lovely too! I need to be kinder to her, I am sometimes a bit prickly because she cares for DD when I'm in work (and I would love to be at home with her!). She once brought DD on a two hour round trip to see me at work when I was working late and wouldn't have seen her all day and was sad about it.

Crunchymum Tue 18-Apr-17 09:56:27

Mine is freaking awesome.

I am very lucky, as are my children.

Crunchymum Tue 18-Apr-17 09:57:22

That is lovely nutty

I am sure you DIL feels exactly the same about you.

Belmo Tue 18-Apr-17 09:57:43

Mine is lovely toosmile

AlcoholAndIrony Tue 18-Apr-17 10:03:56

I love my MIL too.
I'm not married but consider my in laws to be amazing.

SucklingDuckling Tue 18-Apr-17 10:04:32

Mine too. We're just expecting our first baby now and she's already been so helpful - we live at the opposite end of the country and she sends me pregnancy related stuff, and helped us out with paying for a pram. DP's parents are actually wonderful, compared to mine who live half an hour away and don't really care hmm

lightgreenglass Tue 18-Apr-17 10:05:57

My MIL isn't someone I would choose as a friend but I do love her. She loves my kids with every fibre of her being so how can you possible begrudge anyone for that.

Moanyoldcow Tue 18-Apr-17 10:11:04

Mine too - I don't have parents anymore and she and FIL have been wonderful throughout my relationship with my DH.

They adore our DS, take us on holiday, are generally wonderful.

I love them both.

mycatloveslego Tue 18-Apr-17 10:13:31

Aww, lovely thread. Mine is great too. She has a wonderful knack of being there when we need her without being interfering. She's great with my DS and he adores her. I never had a relationship with any of my grandparents to speak of, so I really value her commitment to him.

Batgirlspants Tue 18-Apr-17 10:14:28

I adored my mil and miss her every day. I try and be just like her with my dils and with my future son in laws.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now