Talk

Advanced search

Soya "milk " advice needed please

(110 Posts)
Bananasandchocolatecustard Tue 18-Apr-17 09:14:43

I have decided to stop using milk because of the cruelty in the dairy industry. Which soya "milk" would be best to use with tea/coffee and cereal - sweetened or unsweetened?
TIA

nelipotter Tue 18-Apr-17 09:51:10

Unsweetened. Bonsoi is great for coffee. Any good organic brand (don't go unorganic - there are so many good brands no need to!)

I also like coconut- rice milk, it's kind of nutty and delicious, and sometimes almond.

Soy and honey in tea is so delicious!
So is lemon and a little sugar...

Good on you for giving up the dairy btw! It's the way of the future. Did you see the 'Dairy is scary' video?

My other advice is when giving up cheese, make sure to have lots of salty delicious things to put on pasta/pizza/toasted sandwiches etc like capers, anchovies, olives etc. Gives you that delicious unami hit that you are looking for.

UppityHumpty Tue 18-Apr-17 09:54:53

So you know nothing about the cruelty of the soybean industry? How entire chunks of rainforests/wildlife habitats are being razed for soybean plantations?

TwentyCups Tue 18-Apr-17 09:54:54

Morrisons organic soya milk £1 a carton is nice in tea. My mum loves oatly but I'm not as much of a fan.

Coconut milk is lovely for hot chocolate or a latte.

A dash of almond milk is nice with chai tea.

Mostly though I drink herbal tea or black coffees.

Come join us on the vegan what's for dinner thread. Good group of people at different stages either transitioning or fully vegan. You'll find some food inspiration and supportive chat.

AndNoneForGretchenWieners Tue 18-Apr-17 09:55:00

I like almond milk in coffee. Coconut milk is great in cereals and sauces.

brassbrass Tue 18-Apr-17 10:07:23

I would also add that soya milk can wreak havoc with your hormones as it mimics oestrogen.

I didn't realise that it could and suffered for 18 months before giving up soya milk altogether and now I avoid it like the plague.

If you notice any changes in your periods, skin, acne, pmt, weight then it'll be the soya.

If you are going to use it make sure you go organic and keep an eye on any new symptoms. Personally I think it should come with a health warning it had such an effect on me.

SapphireStrange Tue 18-Apr-17 10:10:16

I quite like sweetened, myself. Pret a Manger use it in their frothy coffees and it's nice. Maybe just for an occasional 'hit' though. grin

Almond milk is good in tea, IME, but a bit thin in coffee. It doesn't froth, either.

My tip is cashew milk –makes amazingly foamy, creamy coffee (I use a battery-powered Aerolatte thing) and has a light taste –not really nutty at all. The unsweetened stuff is expensive though.

BahHumbygge Tue 18-Apr-17 10:22:53

Soya isn't healthy either for your or the planet. Large areas of rainforest and cerrado in South America are razed in order to start soya plantations.

All the wildlife in those areas is biologically cleansed. It requires huge inputs of industrial agricultural technology and chemicals such as glyphosate pesticides, which are causing a massive spike in cancers, horrific teratogenic birth defects, miscarriages and still births in Argentina... also catastrophic to ecological habitats and cruel to all the animals that live there; fertilisers which require massive fossil fuel inputs in order to manufacture them; gargantuan machinery that obliterates mammals and other small creatures in the paths; rivers are diverted and groundwater mined for irrigation - which is curtains for all the creatures dependent on them. Then has to be shipped great distances across oceans on polluting super tankers. Large amounts of energy to render the raw beans into milk. etc etc

It's also terrible for human health at the consumer end of the chain. Soya is a terrible endocrine disruptor, can seriously affect thyroid function and lead to diseases like hashimoto's, low sperm counts in men and diminished fertility. East Asians have traditionally used it in fairly small amounts, say as a garnish on miso soup, or fermented in forms like tempeh which render it somewhat safer. Not the gallons of soya milk, veggie burgers, tofu cheesecake etc that western vegetarians and processed food eaters consume.

It's much more sustainable to consume food which is produced close to your locality, and as organic as possible. There are even "ahimsa" forms of cow milk you can buy where the calf is left with the mother, which is the best thing to look out for if you can. Normal organic also has high welfare standards, will be fed on grass and the cowpats applied directly back to the soil to refertilise it, bypassing the need for industrial inputs.

If you do want to drink a vegan milk, oat would be your best bet... it's an established field crop here in Europe, requires less processing, transported much shorter distances and oats have some degree of health benefits.

With regard to sweeteners, cow milk naturally contains lactose, which breaks down to glucose and is the workaday fuel for your body. Whereas sweetened plant milks will contain sucrose or agave etc which contains high levels of fructose and is the form of sugar which is implicated in contemporary high levels of obesity, T2 diabetes, and other metabolic lifestyle diseases. Go for unsweetened if you can.

www.smallfootprintfamily.com/why-soy-is-bad-for-you-and-the-planet

www.i-sis.org.uk/argentinasRoundupHumanTragedy.php

brassbrass Tue 18-Apr-17 11:18:19

good post Bahhumbygge

beingsunny Tue 18-Apr-17 11:24:37

Wow, that's a great and really informative post Bahhumbygge, I knew only some of that. Thanks for taking the time to share smile

AssassinatedBeauty Tue 18-Apr-17 11:24:37

Oatly is nice in coffee, not tried it in tea. Makes nice porridge too. The barista version is good for making frothed milk and I prefer it generally. I feel more comfortable with using an oat based product due to the reasons outlined above.

Bananasandchocolatecustard Tue 18-Apr-17 11:36:53

Latoya, thanks for the useful information. Thanks to everyone else as well. I'v been vegetarian for 36 years, but veganism is new to me. Will take a look at the vegan dinner thread.
I think I will be doing a lot a testing of different types of "milk".

Bananasandchocolatecustard Tue 18-Apr-17 11:38:21

Bah autocorrected to Laytoia!

SomewhatIdiosyncratic Tue 18-Apr-17 12:09:12

We use Oatly oat milk due to milk/ soya intolerance.

trixymalixy Tue 18-Apr-17 12:13:13

Soya milk is horrible aside from all the issues others have mentioned.

There's so much more available so give them all a try.

DS is allergic to dairy and his preference would be rice milk, but we don't buy it due to the arsenic issue. So he has Oatly in everything. It's very nice on cereal, but I don't like it in tea, I'd rather have it black.

NannyR Tue 18-Apr-17 12:16:04

Hemp milk is quite nice, I've not tried it in tea and coffee yet but as a cold drink its lovely.

heyduggeeallday Tue 18-Apr-17 12:17:15

Oatly Foamable makes lovely coffee and is (finally!) something I can use in tea! Since finding this gem i am really reducing my milk intakes'. Hemp milk (unsweetened) is lovely too on cereal and as a drink. My ds has that

sonyaya Tue 18-Apr-17 12:20:13

Roasted unsweetened almond milk in coffee! And it is also amazing in porridge. Low calorie and tasty.

gottaloveascamhun Tue 18-Apr-17 12:26:23

I thought that most of the soya grown is fed to livestock and dairy cows anyway and most is not destined for human consumption? I like coconut rice milk and hazelnut milk. I rotate these with oat milk.

froofroomcgoo Tue 18-Apr-17 12:35:08

Don't give up milk, especially not for soybeans. Soy production is evil.

Buy cows milk from these lovely folk:

www.goodfoodnation.co.uk/

Cruelty free milk and cheese. Buy in bulk and freeze.

headinthecloud Tue 18-Apr-17 12:36:25

I wouldn't drink soy after reading about it. Try almond milk. Rice milk is OK but I find it too watery for tea and coffee.

LauraMipsum Tue 18-Apr-17 12:45:59

The vast majority of soy beans are fed to cattle, so the whole "oooh soy is evil because of deforestation" doesn't really work. You're contributing far less to that deforestation from drinking soy milk directly from the bean than you would be processing it through a hungry cow first.

I really like Koko coconut milk on cereal and in tea.

BahHumbygge Tue 18-Apr-17 12:49:52

This is where I get my local organic milk from, sold in the local Co-op. Nearly all grass pastured, with a little silage grown on the farm. Helps maintain the lush green landscape of the south west. Wildlife is supported by sympathetically managing the habitats of the farms. No soya feedstuffs required smile

www.brutondairy.com/about.html#godminster

Compare with images of forest clearance in Brazil for soya, and imagine all the myriad lifeforms in those habitats wiped out. Not just the suffering of all those individual specimens, but whole species pushed further to the brink of extinction. 200 species per day are lost from the planet, due to agricultural expansion for industrialised processed foods like soya and palm oil, as well as urbanisation and climate change.

adlertippa Tue 18-Apr-17 12:50:12

Seconding that most soy is grown for cattle feed!

I use Tesco value unsweetened, I don't like the sweetened taste. And it's happily the cheapest. Bonsoy is amazing for fancy coffees though. I've tried hazelnut/coconut etc but I notice the taste too much.

Emily7708 Tue 18-Apr-17 12:51:56

We use Koko milk or almond milk, soy is completely banned in this house.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now