Talk

Advanced search

To think 'scarification' just sounds awful??

(44 Posts)
MaryPoppinsPenguins Mon 17-Apr-17 17:01:15

www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-4418110/Countryfile-presenter-Ellie-Harrison-reveals-arm-scars.html

Countryfile presenter had her arm scarred as an offering to her parter of 10 years? confused

My DH says it's not unlike getting a tattoo... but this article makes her sound a bit crazy.

ProudBadMum Mon 17-Apr-17 17:02:11

People do weird shit. It's not your body so don't worry about it

Google the man with the horns. His face modification will make this look like nothing

JamesDelaneysHat Mon 17-Apr-17 17:02:48

I thought it was something you did to your lawn to get the moss out shock

UndersecretaryofWhimsy Mon 17-Apr-17 17:05:02

I think it's a bit odd that she did it as an 'offering' when it wasn't something he asked for, but I've heard way weirder. We all have our stuff. I have multiple tats and they are in part a way of turning emotional scars into physical ones. I don't find it intrinsically any weirder than tattooing.

Gallavich Mon 17-Apr-17 17:06:01

She sounds loopy as fuck. I wonder whether her doctor partner was thrilled about her Vaseline smeared, sliced up arm. Presumably he's seen plenty of cuts and wounds in his time which might make him think twice about deliberate wounds as a tribute to him confused

witsender Mon 17-Apr-17 17:06:15

It is a modern, extreme form of tattooing. I am not a fan, but it's such a personal thing.

TwitterQueen1 Mon 17-Apr-17 17:06:18

I think it's appalling. And a dreadful example to young people.

However, other cultures do this I believe (I think I saw something only a few days ago about some tribe cutting their faces because they believe it makes them beautiful.

So I'm prepared to be told it's OK and not that different to tattooing - but personally I think it's horrendous and barbaric.

LegoCaltrops Mon 17-Apr-17 17:07:40

It's no odder than a tattoo. I have nothing more extreme than the lobes of my ears pierced, FWIW, & my DH has nothing at all. Why does it bother you?

bionicant Mon 17-Apr-17 17:08:05

I really like that too she has on does anyone recognise the brand ?

DuoTwo Mon 17-Apr-17 17:10:52

Odd and weird especially to do it for someone else. I can't imagine the look on my face if DH came home with scars like that to show his love for me. confused

MagicMarkers Mon 17-Apr-17 17:11:06

I would be horrified if my DH did that to himself and it sounds like this woman's husband was shocked too and she's too crazy to realise that he didn't like it.

HolidayArmidillo Mon 17-Apr-17 17:13:05

I have been scarified. Not as an offering to anyone but because I love how pretty the dainty scar is. I have a bow on my hip that my partner did. It healed perfectly and I've had a few more too with no problems. I see it as no different to tattoos....except they are a lot more discreet.

harderandharder2breathe Mon 17-Apr-17 17:13:26

I'm bothered by it. I think it's that it resembles self harm scars, which I have so it's a bit too close for comfort for me. I'm not ashamed of my scars but I don't think scars are art in the way a good tattoo is art.

OhahIlostmybra Mon 17-Apr-17 17:13:43

I like it! Bit like white tattoos

Floggingmolly Mon 17-Apr-17 17:15:54

This was my great offering to him. She sounds mentally unwell.
How are you supposed to react to your partner presenting you with a gouged forearm that they'd had done especially "for you"?
I'd have her committed.

HeyRoly Mon 17-Apr-17 17:18:02

I've seen examples of quite elaborate scarification designs. I don't find it that aesthetically pleasing personally (though I like tattoos) but they're a whole lot prettier than a series of scarred blobs going up one's forearm. Her reasoning for getting it is a bit barmy too.

JacquesHammer Mon 17-Apr-17 17:20:06

I love scarification. Some designs are beautiful when done well and healed properly.

Hers look neither. They're pretty discrete though

CaoNiMartacus Mon 17-Apr-17 17:22:43

There are other scars on her arm that look like self harm cuts. sad

StarlingMurderation Mon 17-Apr-17 17:23:49

Scarification itself doesn't bother me, but her description of it sounds overwrought and more than a little worrying. If I were her partner, presented with her clingfilmed arm, I'd be really concerned for her mental health. If, on the other hand, they'd discussed it in advance and both got it done, I'd just give a mental shrug.

cardibach Mon 17-Apr-17 17:25:06

What happens when they've been together another year? Does she get another ring? What happens when she runs out of arm?
I'm more concerned about her comments about living in the country, tbh - I live in a remote place (no motorway in the whole county, 30 miles to a hospital etc, etc) and my DD and her friends didn't find it so mindnumbingly boring that they needed to drink at 13 or hunt for mind altering mushrooms etc. She sounds as though she has always had some ishoos.

HeyRoly Mon 17-Apr-17 17:28:42

I actually wondered whether she did it to herself cao. They look like cigarette burns to me.

Rinoachicken Mon 17-Apr-17 17:28:58

Like a PP said, her arm shoes other scars that look like self harm.

She admits that her doctor partner was horrified when she 'presented' him with it.

I think there's more going on for her here and whilst true scarification may be fine for a mentally well person (like getting a tattoo really) sadly I don't think she falls into that category.

fernanie Mon 17-Apr-17 17:32:23

Oh God, this was a thing when I was at school; carving your crush's name into your arm with a compass point to declare your eternal love. Just about excusable when you're 14 and full of hormones / teenage angst, but why an adult would want to do it is beyond me.

KateDaniels2 Mon 17-Apr-17 17:32:58

It is like tattooing.

But she sounds like she needs some help. Especially the hoping they die together. I would be scared for him if he tried to leave.

PerspicaciaTick Mon 17-Apr-17 17:33:22

I have seen some beautiful designs, not unlike tattooing.
However, that article makes her motives sound very odd. As though she turned up at home, without discussing her plans first, and told her partner that she had done it for him (why? why did she think he would like it?). If she had done it herself then it would sound like self-harming, in a sort of "I love you so much, I hurt myself for you, every time you see my scars you'll remember I love you so much, you'll never leave me will you?" somewhat unhinged way.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now