Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

To ask for help peeling and chopping butternut squash?

(22 Posts)
patronsaintofglocks Mon 17-Apr-17 16:54:57

Hi xx

Sorry for asking-
Does anyone have any tips for peeling and chopping butternut squash? I have problems with my wrists.

Thank you x

Myrobalanna Mon 17-Apr-17 16:59:55

If you get a big knife and cut it in two, or four, then bake it - that works, no peeling. (It's a job to cut it though, you need a lot of downward force on the knife.)

cuckooplusone Mon 17-Apr-17 17:02:17

I use a speed peeler to peel it, but that doesn't help you with the chopping bit. What about making sure your knife is sharp enough?

StillStayingClassySanDiego Mon 17-Apr-17 17:03:54

I cut mind in half then stand it up and take off the skin/peel from top to bottom with a very sharp knife.

MrsJacksonAvery Mon 17-Apr-17 17:05:38

I've recently discovered frozen butternut squash at Sainsbury's - so much easier!

MeganChips Mon 17-Apr-17 17:06:59

If you don't need the flesh in actual chunks, bake it whole in the oven. It's then really easy to cut and scoop out the flesh.

handsfree Mon 17-Apr-17 17:08:33

A minute in the microwave works well to soften it up to cut.

Toofewshoes Mon 17-Apr-17 17:10:10

Me too. Can hardly peel anything due to arthritis. I have baked it in the oven first and also resorted to buying it already cut up.

Mumteedum Mon 17-Apr-17 17:10:18

Do you have a microwave? You can soften them up by cooking for few mins on high. Use knife to put some slits in for steam so doesn't explode. Like you would jacket potato.

PollyPerky Mon 17-Apr-17 17:11:20

No you are not being unreasonable to ask. There is also a food / cookery forum here if that may help.

patronsaintofglocks Mon 17-Apr-17 17:13:10

@mrsjacksonavery thank you very much for the tip! I am so grateful.

Thank you everyone. I am trying to batch make a soup I can reheat when my illness flares up. Thank you for all of your lovely tips. I'm very grateful.

Out2pasture Mon 17-Apr-17 17:13:23

I ask dh well in advance.

ALemonyPea Mon 17-Apr-17 17:13:48

Cut in half, scoop seeds out, then rest in the oven. scoop flesh out when done. Delicious. I drizzle olive oil and salt over, sometimes some rosemary.

KurriKurri Mon 17-Apr-17 17:14:18

I have to buy it cut up now - I just can't manage it.
When I did peel it myself I used to cut off a chunk with a big knife then use smaller knife to cut the peel vertically downwards in strips all the way round - I found that easier than trying to peel like you would peel a potato.

harderandharder2breathe Mon 17-Apr-17 17:14:58

I buy pre prepared packets I'm afraid, for the sake of ease

HeyCat Mon 17-Apr-17 17:15:44

I roast it whole then chop it up, so much easier!

IMadeClarkeCry Mon 17-Apr-17 17:17:47

another vote for roasting in halves or quarters. Peeling is a mug's game.

MaidOfStars Mon 17-Apr-17 17:20:56

I cut in slices across. Lay each slice flat. Then cut skin off downwards, working my way round.

WicksEnd Mon 17-Apr-17 17:21:57

Much safer to just buy it pre chopped! I've spent half an hour wrestling with a knife wedged in it before.

Coastalcommand Mon 17-Apr-17 17:22:12

Don't peel it, just wash. Then chop with a very sharp knife. In half first. Roast with the skin on.

SilenceOfThePrams Mon 17-Apr-17 18:33:07

Roast it whole then chop it up and deseed it. No need to peel if you're blending the soup.

disastrouslee Mon 17-Apr-17 18:35:01

I never peel if roasting. Gives it a lovely nutty flavour. For chopping I use the biggest, sharpest fuck-off knife I own.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now