Talk

Advanced search

To be cross with me nephew? (more so his parents)

(17 Posts)
GimmeMoreChocolate Mon 17-Apr-17 15:20:14

Have discovered 7yr old nephew has YouTube channel. We had an Easter sleepover, the kids played upstairs for a while on tablets. This morning out of curiosity I searched YouTube for his name and found video from our sleepover which had my 2 kids in. I'm really annoyed. Nothing was said about him videoing anything and I certainly didn't know it was going online. It makes me wonder if his parents are supervising his account or have spoken to him about Internet safety.

Fruitcorner123 Mon 17-Apr-17 15:23:02

7 is far too young to have tablet access unsupervised you have no idea what he could have accessed. Also how on earth can you blame him? Do you believe a 7 year old understands the possible consequences of posting things online?

Armadillostoes Mon 17-Apr-17 15:23:36

Ypu have every right to be cross but not with the 7 year old. If he was just doing something he normally does and had no clue why it might be problematic. I would worry for his safety , and privacy though. I think that you should direct your ire at his pare.

monkeywithacowface Mon 17-Apr-17 15:24:56

Did you know about the youtube account prior to the sleepover? If so then really you should have been supervising the use of tablets and internet safety. If his parents are daft enough to set up a youtube account for a 7 year old I would assume they haven't had the sense to discuss and monitor safe use

ScarlettFreestone Mon 17-Apr-17 15:26:45

He's 7 yo. Be annoyed with the parents.

I assume you called them immediately and requested the deletion of the video ?

Allthewaves Mon 17-Apr-17 15:29:09

Have a chat with parents before getting worked up. My friends son (also 7) was you tube blogging without his mums knowledge and she only found out when another svhool mum told her

Andrewofgg Mon 17-Apr-17 15:29:47

You need to be talking to his parents - especially whichever is sibling to one of you - in very strong terms. This is unacceptable. What the hell are they playing at?

harderandharder2breathe Mon 17-Apr-17 15:36:27

Be cross with the parents for allowing a 7 year old to have a YouTube account.

If no one has ever taught him rules about internet use, it's hardly his fault that he does what he's always done.

Beeziekn33ze Mon 17-Apr-17 15:39:46

He shouldn't be on YouTube, he could blunder across all kinds of inappropriate stuff.

Mummyoflittledragon Mon 17-Apr-17 15:45:52

Omg. My dd is nearly 9. She wouldn't have a clue how to do any of this! Yes, definitely the responsibility of the parents. I'd be having strong words with them. But for now, get the video removed and explain it isn't ok.

Cleanermaidcook Mon 17-Apr-17 15:47:16

Contact the parents and tell them to have the video deleted, they don't sound like they're protecting their ds very well,

usernumbernine Mon 17-Apr-17 15:47:55

Speak to his parents - they may have shit hot parental controls in place or they may be more lax than you on what he does on the internet.

You also need to start supervising your own kids and being aware of what they are doing online. (since you say the kids played upstairs on tablets)

C8H10N4O2 Mon 17-Apr-17 15:51:27

If the channel has been set up without his parents' knowledge they should get it taken down immediately (he is not old enough to broadcast on youtube without parental consent). They should also educate him on safety online as well as consent (from other people). This age should not be unsupervised just because the room full of strangers is virtual.

I am constantly amazed how often I meet parents who have a panic attack at the thought of an 11 yr old going up to the high street for a pint of milk unprotected whilst letting them run wild on line where they have no clue whose proverbial strange car they are getting into.

Rachel0Greep Mon 17-Apr-17 15:51:28

Not the child's fault. Speak to the parents immediately.

TheMysteriousJackelope Mon 17-Apr-17 16:01:06

Let his parents know. They might not know he has a YouTube account. If they are happy to have their very young DS frolicking happily through YouTube which covers everything from stamping on rodents to sex stuff then he needs to know that absolutely nothing to do with your DC goes online.

GimmeMoreChocolate Mon 17-Apr-17 16:03:22

I did say more so his parents. I will be having a talk with them.
Kids were unsupervised because they were supposed to be playing same game together. I've discussed with mine that they can't just browse YouTube, she's 8 and asks to view videos specifically.
I assumed it was something he did with parents knowledge so they'd be checking what he was putting on. In the video, she is playing the game she said she was.

Darbs76 Mon 17-Apr-17 16:20:35

This happened once with next door neighbour when my son was 8. When we found out as made sure it was removed. Tricky as his parents approved of him having an account but we didn't want our son having one. You need to contact his parents and ask them to remove them

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now