Talk

Advanced search

dogs jumping up

(10 Posts)
user1479335914 Mon 17-Apr-17 12:36:16

AIBU to not want other people's dogs to jump up at me. Near us is a nice walking track made where a railway used to be - popular with families and dog walkers. Today as so often, a bunch of people coming the other way, several dogs running around, and as we got near one dog ran towards us (dp and me, luckily ds was not with us), sniffed all around dp's trousers, tried to do the same with me, I stood aside to avoid the attention, and the dog (middling to large) then jumped up with its paws all down my front. I don't dislike dogs, and am not generally afraid of them but I really don't like this - who knows where else their nose has been?! Owner as usual could not care less, just issued the automatic "Sorry" . This response happens a lot - I sometimes collect up to eight insincere "Sorries" on a single walk. Do people have a blind spot about their dogs? I guess I will get shouted down for this post.

wasonthelist Mon 17-Apr-17 12:38:48

YANBU - and I love dogs.

ExcuseMyEyebrows Mon 17-Apr-17 12:41:41

YANBU at all. I love dogs and wish I could have one of my own, but I hate it when they wipe their noses all over me.

WaitrosePigeon Mon 17-Apr-17 12:45:29

Not sure what you can do about it to be honest.

user1485342611 Mon 17-Apr-17 12:46:11

YANBU. Some dog owners are incredibly unaware and self centred. No doubt the same ones who grumble and complain everytime new regulations are issued regarding dogs in public places.

pigsDOfly Mon 17-Apr-17 12:52:52

Why do you think you'll be shouted down?

I'm a dog owner, I wouldn't let my dog behave like that. If they can't stop their dogs jumping up at strangers the dog is not under control and should be on a lead.

Be a bit more vocal. If you see a dog running at you, put you hand out and shout 'down', at it, or try turning your back on it, and if the owner doesn't take control tell them to call their dog off you.

NotOneThingButAnother Mon 17-Apr-17 12:55:36

I hate this too, but I have a 6 month old puppy so I am constantly dashing after it; most of the time I can catch him and get him on a lead - if I see toddlers, elderly people or teenage boys (his favourites) I always do this. No one should have to put up with my dog doing anything, I chose to have him. But if by any chance I don't get there in time, I am sorry - its my fault.

user1479335914 Mon 17-Apr-17 12:57:35

I have sometimes challenged the owners and suggested they keep the dog under more control, and nearly always get an earful of abuse - its quite upsetting. I thought I would get shouted down on this issue because most people seem to be so subjective about their dogs and cannot see things from any other point of view, even someone who is actually being threatened by a dog (as happened to me with a rottweiler once - the owner completely ignored me, even though I was hypeventilating after it had

JigglyTuff Mon 17-Apr-17 13:02:18

My dog has started jumping at people (though he doesn't make contact) so he is on a lead as soon as we see someone while we work on it. It's not acceptable.

pigsDOfly Mon 17-Apr-17 13:08:11

That sort of abuse has happened to me as well User, when I've challenged people whose dogs have run at me or my dog, and you're right, some dog owners are idiots and seem to think their dogs should be allowed to do as they like.

I promise, we're not all like that though.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now