Talk

Advanced search

To think this text from the opticians is very unprofessional?

(80 Posts)
MothershipG Mon 17-Apr-17 12:23:08

This is exactly as it was received...

"goodmorning dear customer i am regret to inform you your optician oppt been cancelled today please call to rebook sorry for inconveniece caused thank you"

No caps, no punctuation at all. Dodgy spelling and grammar.

Obviously it satisfactorily conveys its intended message so AIBU to think that this sort of lazy texting is not appropriate for a business communication? Or am I just an old fogey, unnecessarily hung up on outdated use of English?

CheepAndOrm Mon 17-Apr-17 12:30:48

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

MothershipG Mon 17-Apr-17 12:32:14

It makes you wonder, doesn't it?!

caz323 Mon 17-Apr-17 12:33:08

Think the author should have gone to Specsavers maybe?

ProudBadMum Mon 17-Apr-17 12:33:55

Probably a oh shit send this quick message. Rushed and to the point

I wouldn't think owt as it makes sense.

Olivialoves Mon 17-Apr-17 12:34:55

Is it an independent or a chain OP?

Carrotpuree Mon 17-Apr-17 12:37:30

I'd mention it when you check for the appt.

Asmoto Mon 17-Apr-17 12:38:10

I don't know - nowadays, you're probably lucky it wasn't 'Hi hun, Ur app hs bn cx. Pls rebook l8r. Soz LOL xxx'

MothershipG Mon 17-Apr-17 12:39:45

caz323 grin grin grin

It's the opticians in my local Tesco.

FrayedHem Mon 17-Apr-17 12:50:29

I think you should text back "k. ur msg hurted my i's sad sad"

Crapuccino Mon 17-Apr-17 12:50:42

Oh dear. It might convey its intended message but it conveys plenty of unintended messages besides. It's like turning up to a job interview in a suit with the shirt tucked out, the tie slack, and trainers on. I wouldn't complain, but it would give me a very unfavourable impression of them.

UppityHumpty Mon 17-Apr-17 12:51:07

If it's Tesco you're lucky you even got a message

Crapuccino Mon 17-Apr-17 12:52:22

There is definitely amusing mileage in replying though.

"goodafternoon dear optishun i am regret to inform you your msg doesnt make sence please call to explain sorry for inconveniece caused thank you"

ChrisYoungFuckingRocks Mon 17-Apr-17 12:56:21

I'm with you on this one. If I received a message like that from a 'professional', they wouldn't see me again. IMO if someone can't be bothered to check their spelling/grammar, then I wouldn't trust them to treat me in a professional manner.

caz323 Mon 17-Apr-17 12:58:22

Haha! It does seem as though it was probably composed in a hurry though.

Gooseygoosey12345 Mon 17-Apr-17 12:58:50

Are you certain it's actually come from your optician? Lots of spammy/scam texts going around asking you to call back for one reason or another

MothershipG Mon 17-Apr-17 12:58:55

Tempted as I am, Frayed I just don't think I could bring myself to type that! grin

MothershipG Mon 17-Apr-17 13:01:56

Actually I think the optician chucked a sickie as they didn't want to work on Easter Monday (don't blame them) and this was probably sent by an assistant, but even so....

oldwife Mon 17-Apr-17 13:02:16

The spelling and grammar is appalling.

Cancelling your appointment by text message is very unprofessional. They should have telephoned you to ensure you actually received the information.

Auspiciouspanda Mon 17-Apr-17 13:02:21

They'll be using a computer application that sends out text messages, I use one for my work and the word count is very limited so grammar and punctuation goes out of the window a lot of the time haha

wanderings Mon 17-Apr-17 13:05:42

I once had a text from the opticians instructing me to arrive ten minutes early for a 9am appointment. I duly did so, only to find the doors still very much closed and locked! wink

FrayedHem Mon 17-Apr-17 13:07:34

Go on take one for the team wink. Is it open today? I wonder if someone messed up the booking and made it without realising it was a bank holiday (assuming it's a bank holiday where you are).

If you like the Harry Enfield & Kathy Burke characters Kevin and Perry you could read the message as if Perry is talking to Kevin's parents.

EweAreHere Mon 17-Apr-17 13:15:04

Some some poor counter worker, who may well speak English as a second language, is being mocked for frantically trying to get messages out to customers before they make a wasted trip.

Let it go.

FirstSeemItThenBeIt Mon 17-Apr-17 13:15:13

I wouldn't be phoning them for another appointment, that's for sure. If they want to keep your custom, the least they could have done was phone you, apologise, and offer alternatives.

theoldtrout01876 Mon 17-Apr-17 13:21:33

On the subject of unprofessional, someone I knows mother got an Email from her doctor informing her she had stage 4 liver cancer !!!!
I couldnt get my head round that, oh and a reminder to follow up in two weeks.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now