Advanced search

To go straight to the GP for this?

(22 Posts)
QueenOfTheSkies Mon 17-Apr-17 06:56:19

Slightly posting for traffic.

DD is 15 months, been walking for a couple of months now. Her right foot turns inwards as she walks. I think I should go straight to our (paeds specialist) GP. DH says that's wasting time and I should take her to the HV.

Surely the HV will just say 'you need to see the GP' if there is something wrong (which there is) so i'd be wasting less NHS time to go straight to the GP?

So WIBU to take her straight to the GP or should I see a HV or nurse first?

(If relevant, not my PFB, the inturn is big enough that my parents noticed it, she never 'cruised' but went from sitting to walking the room literally overnight - so no 'baby first steps', just straight to walking)

BeaderBird Mon 17-Apr-17 06:57:04


LouKout Mon 17-Apr-17 06:58:52

YaNBU. Hopefully she can get referred.for an orthotic insert in her shoe which should help.

Gingernut81 Mon 17-Apr-17 07:00:45

DD had a very similar thing but both her feet turned out. I took her to docs (ended up seeing the nurse practitioner) and they referred us to paediatric consultant. Just go straight to docs, as you say HV will just tell you to see GP.

NameSame Mon 17-Apr-17 07:03:46

Speaking as a woman in her mid twenties that much like gingers walked like a penguin until her mid/late teens - I'd say yanbu, go to the doctors, call tomorrow and book in. Xx

NameSame Mon 17-Apr-17 07:04:18

Sorry meantvto say gingers DD

leghoul Mon 17-Apr-17 07:08:54

Yanbu however they might leave it a while before referral for physiotherapy etc. But good for them to see and document it in case needs further action. Usually resolves by itself.

Northgate Mon 17-Apr-17 07:18:11


When the DCs nursery noticed an issue with the walking gait of one of my DC (we hadn't noticed it ourselves, so more subtle than with your DD), they recommended that I take DC to the GP about it, not the HV.

They suggested the GP because the GP would be able to make a referral onwards to physiotherapist etc if needed.

MollyHuaCha Mon 17-Apr-17 07:27:16


QueenOfTheSkies Mon 17-Apr-17 07:28:23

thank you. I was sure i was right before i mentioned it to DH but he made me doubt myself. I have had bad experiences with HVs in the past so tend to automatically go elsewhere for help and wanted to check i wasn't being blinded by past experience.

will book her in to see the GP this week.

Concussedbanana Mon 17-Apr-17 07:30:22

When Ds was little we had concerns about his foot turning in, spoke to HV who made a referral to podiatrist, so they can refer on (maybe just our area)

TestingTestingWonTooFree Mon 17-Apr-17 07:30:47

I like and respect our HV, but I wouldn't see her for this. Does demonstrating the turn require your child's cooperation? If so, I'd consider taking a little video of her walking in case she won't play ball on the day of the appointment.

LaContessaDiPlump Mon 17-Apr-17 07:31:43

I always went to the GP first, exactly because the HV was sure to give that advice!

FrancisCrawford Mon 17-Apr-17 07:36:03


Your child may need X-rays before any course of action is decided upon. And then physio.

The HV is not qualified to make medical decisions.

Mistigri Mon 17-Apr-17 07:43:26

My DD walked with an in-turned foot and had to have a hip x-ray to ensure that her hip joints had formed correctly (she was fine and her gait improved as she got older). See the GP.

Thebookswereherfriends Mon 17-Apr-17 07:45:10

My daughter's foot did the same thing, to the point that it tripped her up if she ran. Now at 4yrs her feet are fine. Take her to the Dr if it will set your mind at rest. Hv probably a waste of time.

velocitygir1 Mon 17-Apr-17 07:47:07

My husband is a paediatric podiatrist, that's who you need a referral too.

Usually it is due to muscles being too tight-is she especially tall for her age?

They will need to look at her gait and see if it's anything else I.e hips.

I'm sure it will be fine...she may need insoles as well.

Todayisanewday75 Mon 17-Apr-17 07:48:50

Go to the gp and be insistent. First gp that saw ds2 said it was mild intoeing and it would sort itself out. I wasn't happy so saw another gp who only referred me to a consultant because I was insistent. Turns out he has severe hypermobility, had to wear splints and do exercises for years and now has orthotic insoles. We were lucky to treat it as early as we did, if we'd left it it could have got much worse.

Heirhelp Mon 17-Apr-17 07:56:12

I understand HV is for advice about normal behaviour and development. GP is more medical concerns. Go to the GP.

Or ask DH to ring HV and ask them what to do.

Meloncoley2 Mon 17-Apr-17 07:57:46

HVs can refer to physio and podiatry here, but fine to go to GP if you prefer.

QueenOfTheSkies Mon 17-Apr-17 07:58:58

thank you, i will be on the phone in the morning. We have an excellent GP who is a paeds specialist and has always been brilliant so would be confident about any advice he gave.

The inturn is obvious when she walks but i havent checked if her foot falls inward when sitting or anything, so will try and get a video. thanks testing

velocity she isnt over tall - she's 15months and in 12-18 clothes. good mid range weight.

8misskitty8 Mon 17-Apr-17 16:38:51

Gp, not hv.
She will probably be referred to orthopaedics.
Dd2 had something similar, her foot turned out and she dragged it When she learnt to walk. She got seen by an orthopaedic surgeon every 6 mths until she was 5.
We had to massage her foot every day and her shoes had to be start-rite ones as they have added support in the ankle of the shoe.
If it didn't improve by 3 then they would have moved to putting a splint on it.
She is actually hyper mobile which caused it.
She is 12 now and she does have a strange walk as both ankles bones turn down slightly but she's fine.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: