Talk

Advanced search

To change the locks now?

(19 Posts)
Kalizahara Sun 16-Apr-17 20:36:42

We live in a high crime area and have had valuable property stolen a number of times in the past 2 years.

I'm fuming with dh right now, a man has just knocked the door to point out that our keys were left in our door. These were car and house keys. Dh has done it for the THIRD time and they've been out there all day. Last time it was his van keys he left in the door with a van full of fucking expensive tools.

There's also been an influx or car jacking lately and police are advising everyone to look car doors and not even to get out the car if you get bumped up the back. Yet dh rolls his eyes at me when I tell him to lock car doors when driving. This is on top of the fact our toddler tries to open the door.

He grew up in a place where everyone leaves the door unlocked but you just cannot be like that round here, but he's lived here years and you'd think he'd get it when we've been stolen from within the past two weeks ffs 😡

I'm saying I want the locks changed tomorrow, it's a cost we could do without and we are looking for a bigger property, but I just don't feel safe knowing anyone could have went and got our keys cut 😟

Witchend Sun 16-Apr-17 20:44:19

I very much doubt anyone would bother taking your keys having them.cut and returning them. If they'd disappeared then yes, but no self respecting criminal is going to bother to return them with the risk of being caught doing so, or have the expense of having them cut when they can just go off with the originals.

longlostpal Sun 16-Apr-17 20:46:33

I agree it's highly unlikely that anyone will have gone and got the keys cut and then returned them to their original place in the door.

Patriciathestripper1 Sun 16-Apr-17 20:47:19

No point if you didn't lose the keys.

LobsterMac Sun 16-Apr-17 20:47:56

Your husband is a twat but you are over reacting by wanting to change the locks.

limon Sun 16-Apr-17 20:50:10

It's easter Sunday everywhere was closed so no one has had keys cut (highly unlikely they would have on any ordinary day either). Yabu

RedBugMug Sun 16-Apr-17 20:51:55

yep change the barrel (easy to do and relatively cheap).

the concern is that someone has made copies and put the keys back...

Kalizahara Sun 16-Apr-17 20:52:46

Perhaps, I'm not in the mind of a criminal, but judging the lengths people have gone to to steal from us already nothing would surprise me.

This is the third time in as many weeks they've been left out all day.

Not dripfeeding but dh has lost sets of keys in the past but because we had a secondary lock we didn't bother.

chitofftheshovel Sun 16-Apr-17 20:56:37

I don't know, I'm totally lax on security, hardly ever lock doors but I feel safe doing so in very small village.

It is conceivable that someone could have taken the keys, cut them, replaced them in the door and it was a different person who alerted your husband to them being in the door.

It's pretty straightforward and cheap to change the locks yourself, is that a possibility?

chitofftheshovel Sun 16-Apr-17 20:58:08

Ah wait, good point limon, nowhere to cut keys today.

MusicToMyEars800 Sun 16-Apr-17 20:58:26

I think if it put your mind at ease then you should.

Kalizahara Sun 16-Apr-17 21:00:45

Dh could probably do the lock we'd just need to buy it, probably around £50.

At one time I wouldn't have worried but crime has been through the roof here lately.

A gang smashed the window of a car and dragged a young woman out through the window to steal her car. In broad daylight.

A man was beaten with a sledgehammer in front of people on a high street for his car.

Just don't feel we can afford to be lax with security.

Semaphorically Sun 16-Apr-17 21:01:26

I'd get the locks changed but I am rather paranoid about home security. I would need the peace of mind of definitely not probably when it comes to someone else not having the house keys.

Dumbo412 Mon 17-Apr-17 00:21:14

If he keeps on doing this then you may find yourself going out to the keys being missing, or the car gone, but today isn't that day.
Hope you haven't spent the money changing the past cos, I'd be far more concerned trying to drum into your stupid partner just how irresponsible he is. If he does it again I would tell him he needs to pay to have the locks changed every bloody time he felt egrets his keys.

If extra pissed off, I would be inclined to hide his keys and let him sweat

WombatStewForTea Mon 17-Apr-17 01:03:55

Bloody hell. Where on earth do you live?! confused

MrsTerryPratchett Mon 17-Apr-17 02:04:51

I was going to say the same Wombat. South Central LA?

CountMagnus Mon 17-Apr-17 05:10:58

Birmingham - UK not Alabama! Recent car jackings in Selly Oak and Sparkbrook.

123MothergotafleA Mon 17-Apr-17 05:48:57

What's wrong with him, is he completely witless or what?
He sounds like another man child, needs his mummy to hold his handy.

Strigoi Mon 17-Apr-17 06:15:35

If the keys were still in the lock then I think you're over-reacting to want to get them changed. DH recently left his keys in the door overnight and we have a lot of crime. However, the alarm was set and we have cctv so if anyone had tried to come in, we'd have known pretty quickly.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now