Talk

Advanced search

To think Jane Austen is a useful guide to many surprising things

(8 Posts)
reawakeningambition Sun 16-Apr-17 19:35:14

I have for some time had a theory that running a start-up high growth potential technology business is very much like living in a Jane Austen novel.

Everything builds up to the moment when (you hope) someone will make you an offer (to buy the business). And then you have one life-defining decision to make.

I advise clients in this sector and quite often advise them with Jane in my head (she is full of sense).

Does anyone else use Jane as a life guide in surprising ways?

TheElephantofSurprise Sun 16-Apr-17 19:37:30

Dd used Jane Austen as a guide to making a good marriage. Seems to have worked very well.

CassandraAusten Sun 16-Apr-17 19:38:49

Yes, my sister is very wise smile

reawakeningambition Sun 16-Apr-17 19:40:36

Ooh Cassandra!

Have you told anyone where your lost letters are?

LadyMonicaBaddingham Sun 16-Apr-17 19:40:44

I use her work as an excellent guide to the skilled pastime of bonnet-wearing and being utterly dependent on men to form one's self-worth.

helpimitchy Sun 16-Apr-17 20:02:41

Anybody who displays the slightest mental fragility in our house gets locked in the attic until they regain their composure. It doesn't take long, especially during the winter smile

reawakeningambition Sun 16-Apr-17 20:33:27

smile

Barbie222 Sun 16-Apr-17 20:36:11

Yes Jane Austen for all things except parenting, for which I always look to that strange little creature that looks after Bing.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now