Talk

Advanced search

Should I trim my neighbours bush?

(35 Posts)
CatEatCatWorld Sun 16-Apr-17 17:57:47

We live in a semi detached house. We have a privet bush in the front which spans the whole of our front and next doors. In all the time they have lived there (3 years) next door has not cut their half. We usually cut it when we cut ours as it'll look daft if we don't. They usually come out and say thanks (like literally that's it, we don't really speak) while we're doing it. We would also usually put the leaves in the garden bin. However this year we have to pay for our garden waste bin and it gets pretty full from our garden waste and will be overflowing when we cut our bush (been putting it off for ages) so we can't put their rubbish in our bin too (they don't pay for their garden bin) WIBU to not cut it? We have a petrol hedge trimmer (they don't) so it's easier for us and I'd feel bad not doing it, but at the same time i feel why should we? BTW we'd always cut it for the old couple who lived there before them, but they were much more grateful and less able.

SmileEachDay Sun 16-Apr-17 17:59:16

<snigger>

CatEatCatWorld Sun 16-Apr-17 18:00:03

Forgot to add a pic. Can't turn it round sorry.

highinthesky Sun 16-Apr-17 18:01:19

I wouldn't expect anyone to trim my bush blush

Although I do my mum's from time to time, when she asks nicely.

PastysPrincess Sun 16-Apr-17 18:01:27

Cant you just knock in the door and say you are happy to cut it but they will need to dispose of the waste as you haven't got the space?

SmileEachDay Sun 16-Apr-17 18:02:38

You trim your mum's bush high?

Bloody hell.

Applebite Sun 16-Apr-17 18:03:39

Sorry, I also came here to snigger!

ProfessorPickles Sun 16-Apr-17 18:04:39

Sniggering also grin

FeckTheMagicDragon Sun 16-Apr-17 18:05:05

why don't ask them, say - I'm happy to cut your bush, but I wont be able to get rid of the trimmings. You'll have to do that yourself. Do you still want me to do it?

CatEatCatWorld Sun 16-Apr-17 18:06:04

Pasty's, yes i was thinking of doing that. I was Kinda hoping you'd all say make them do it themselves lol!

(Was expecting a few sniggers wink )

SoloDance Sun 16-Apr-17 18:06:25

Id trim the bush,bag up the clippings ftom their side and leave them in their garden.

highinthesky Sun 16-Apr-17 18:07:15

SmileEachDay - yes I use hot wax for a professional result. It wouldn't work on a privet though.

ArthurShelbysTash Sun 16-Apr-17 18:08:20

We have the same bush situ. Our neighbour likes his bush trimmed back low (so he can keep his eye on the street, he takes neighbourhood watch very seriously) whereas we like a high bush for privacy. Do your own bush. Sod the ungrateful neighbours.

Andrewofgg Sun 16-Apr-17 18:12:05

Dirty-minded lot on this site . . .

CatEatCatWorld Sun 16-Apr-17 18:13:44

Don't lie Andrew, it's why you clicked too wink

Andrewofgg Sun 16-Apr-17 18:15:01

Did I suggest otherwise? grin

SmileEachDay Sun 16-Apr-17 18:18:03

I like a high bush too.

I can confirm it seems to ensure privacy.

<single> grin grin

ErrolTheDragon Sun 16-Apr-17 18:22:47

A half-trimmed bush would look weird.

Best you do the whole thing but they're responsible for their trimmings, if they won't fit in your bin. (I'm always surprised how much ours fits, esp if I let it dry out between adding more)

mando12345 Sun 16-Apr-17 18:23:19

Thing is if you don't trim your neighbours bush will it spoil the look of your house? If so I would do it to keep the front of the houses looking nice.

JustSpeakSense Sun 16-Apr-17 18:28:35

Bush trimming is such a personal choice.

I like mine very well trimmed, but others may not. grin

Palomb Sun 16-Apr-17 18:29:36

I always did both sides when i had a bush like this. It's just neighbourly isn't it?

TheNaze73 Sun 16-Apr-17 18:30:17

Fnarr fnarr grin

ADishBestEatenCold Sun 16-Apr-17 18:36:17

What happens to the 'garden side' of their hedge (a bush would be one plant, a hedge many plants in a row)?

Do you cut both sides, or just the street side and ... if the latter ... do they do the garden side themselves?

CatEatCatWorld Sun 16-Apr-17 18:40:27

Bit drip feeding here, but i wanted to know the answers without the extra info.
Next door and I don't really get on at all. They've stolen things from our garden (worthless things, but still!) Their (teen) kids make loads of noise late at night, they're always arguing/fighting in the house and the street(kids and parents), their garden is a total mess, the previous occupants left it lovely and it's just all over grown now (which is why they're not bothered about the bush) all of which is why i don't feel best inclined to cut them.
Still i probably will end up doing it.

CatEatCatWorld Sun 16-Apr-17 18:41:45

No we just cut the front and top, the inside has not been touched in over 3 years that i know of. (It's almost taking over their whole front garden)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now