Talk

Advanced search

£100 a week to live on. This can be done right?

(97 Posts)
MsGameandWatch Sun 16-Apr-17 16:31:34

Food for three people and a dog. Petrol, gas and electric. Summer coming so hardly any gas usage. Car only used for short local-ish trips. Need to do it till November.

ChaChaChaCh4nges Sun 16-Apr-17 16:32:39

Wow. That's tight. Is there any way at all to bring in more money? Are all of the people adults?

VimFuego101 Sun 16-Apr-17 16:33:32

What are the gas and electric bills likely to be? What does the dog eat? Do you have emergency savings in case the car breaks down or the dog needs the vets?

It's doable, it might be a squeeze but you can manage on that. Are there 3 adults or adults and children?

BarneyRumbleton Sun 16-Apr-17 16:34:42

It can be done but it'll take planning.

SailAwayWithMeHoney Sun 16-Apr-17 16:36:14

I would say so, easily.
Write down when each bit of money comes in and when bills need to be paid, and set a budget for food shopping. It helps to make food plans for the week so you only buy what you need iykwim?

longlostpal Sun 16-Apr-17 16:37:19

Personally I'd be looking into rehoming the dog in these circumstances, assuming that there are no savings to fall back on. Others will disagree.

HollyBollyBooBoo Sun 16-Apr-17 16:37:31

So that's about 29 weeks so £2900. Do you need to break it down into how much gas, rent, electricity, insurance etc, will come out of that i.e the stuff that you have to have.

Then the rest is for food, petrol, toiletries etc.

There are lots of websites for feeding a family on a budget, they'd be a good starting point for inspiration.

Are there any expenses you could cut out over the next few months, if there are family/friends birthdays could you talk to them about not doing presents this year?

DermotOLogical Sun 16-Apr-17 16:38:15

Turn the heating off now. Sounds mad but it's not that cold and jumpers are a good thing.

Food wise plan every meal. Cheap dog food, look out for offers.

To keep electricity bills down shorten shower lengths to 4 minutes. Plenty of time to wash and no water wastage.

Walk short journeys. Only use the car when truly necessary.

It will be tight but it is doable.

MsGameandWatch Sun 16-Apr-17 16:38:53

One adult, two children, dog eats kibble. Gas bills will practically nothing, only use for cooking and showers, warm flat so no heating over summer months. Yes will have reserves to draw on if absolutely necessary.

MsGameandWatch Sun 16-Apr-17 16:42:17

All other bills paid. This £100 purely for food gas, electric and petrol.

ChaChaChaCh4nges Sun 16-Apr-17 16:42:35

I'm genuinely not trying to be arsey, but on a budget that tight, "practically nothing" and "nothing" aren't the same thing.

How about clothes, school shoes, £2 for a school trip, things like that?

LakieLady Sun 16-Apr-17 16:42:50

Try switching the dog to a working dog food, as it's VAT free. Wagg worker is about £12 for a huge great sack (17kg, I think).

If you have a garden, start growing some of your own veg.

If you only use the car for short trips, walk instead.

The gas and leccy is going to be the tricky one imo. We spend around £20pw on energy for just 2 of us, and water is another £30+ a month.

Have you included things like tv licence, phone bills etc? People often overlook those.

SpitefulMidLifeAnimal Sun 16-Apr-17 16:43:39

Oh, so you have savings then, you aren't truly broke?

Unplug everything that isn't being used especially phone chargers and the like. They might only use a few pence of electricity but it all helps.

SoloDance Sun 16-Apr-17 16:44:10

It's doable. 50 for food and 50 for the rest. I wouldn't rehome the dog. The dog will come in handy to keep you warm. grin

MsGameandWatch Sun 16-Apr-17 16:44:21

Summer clothes and shoes already done. May have to get new uniform and shoes in September.

MsGameandWatch Sun 16-Apr-17 16:44:48

No I have an overdraft not savings.

SailAwayWithMeHoney Sun 16-Apr-17 16:44:59

Are your fuels pre-payment meter or a fixed rate DD?

listsandbudgets Sun 16-Apr-17 16:45:18

What food do you alredy have in the cupboards and freezer? Can you make mal plans to use that up before you buy anything else except bread and milk.

SoloDance Sun 16-Apr-17 16:46:32

I'd do a couple of carboots to get some extra cash if you have clothes and old toys etc to sell.

limon Sun 16-Apr-17 16:52:56

People on benefits live on lower budgets for that. It can be done

KurriKurri Sun 16-Apr-17 16:53:48

If that is your income and you have no savings - you've got to be entitled to some benefits surely ?

CremeEggThief Sun 16-Apr-17 16:54:38

It's fine, OP. I do it on less for me and 1 DS (14) on weeks I don't get any work (supply teacher) AND it includes pocket money for both, Pilates for me and £2 towards window cleaning. We're vegetarian and my DS has FSM at lunch, which helps.
Breakdown:
Food: £45, Sainsburys online.
Smart meter top up: £15-20 for both.
Pocket money for DS: £5
Pocket money for me: £15
Pilates: £7
Window cleaner: £2
Total: £89-95 week.

BarbaraofSeville Sun 16-Apr-17 16:59:34

If you haven't changed your gas and electric recently, look into doing that. If you do it through the moneysavingexpert cheap energy club, you can get £30 for switching. Every little helps.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now