Talk

Advanced search

To not add more eggs to the egg hunt?

(29 Posts)
Northgate Sun 16-Apr-17 15:56:37

Setting out egg hunt for 2 DC (3 and 5) while PILs take DC on a walk. It's an afternoon one as it was raining this morning.

I have used an egg hunt kit containing 14 small (chicken egg size) eggs, 1 large golden egg, 3 small bags with tiny chocolate carrots/eggs in.

I think this is plenty. DC are getting other chocolate eggs from relatives too.

DH is complaining because I haven't used the extra egg hunt set he bought yesterday - this contains an extra 50 hollow eggs of varying sizes.

AIBU to hide the extra egg hunt set away on the grounds that there's enough chocolate out there already?

IvyLeagueUnderTheSea Sun 16-Apr-17 15:58:25

So they would get over 30 eggs each?

They don't need it at all.
Also, would there be space to hide 50 extra eggs?

coffeecoffeecoffeee Sun 16-Apr-17 15:59:47

OP I think that's plenty 🐣

Eebahgum Sun 16-Apr-17 16:02:19

I think that's plenty. I also think dc wouldn't be that excited by finding empty plastic eggs so unless he's bought something to put in them there's little point.

Northgate Sun 16-Apr-17 16:02:43

PILs have a big garden, but even so, it'd be tricky to hide an extra 50 eggs out there.

Northgate Sun 16-Apr-17 16:03:55

Eebahgum when I said hollow eggs, I meant hollow chocolate ones. Sorry for the confusion!

soundsystem Sun 16-Apr-17 16:06:55

What you've put out sounds plenty to me!

Save the other ones to eat with a glass of wine when they're in bed? grin

soundsystem Sun 16-Apr-17 16:07:56

Although I suppose it depends on whether they'll want to eat all the eggs thy find, or if they'll accept some being put away for another time? If the latter then I guess it can't hurt...

SandyDays Sun 16-Apr-17 16:08:28

30 each! For me that's way too many. Why do people think children need so much junk food. I know the standard answer is "because it's insert whatever celebration day"
But seriously, no one needs that many. And they will come to expect it every time.
Our are 7 and 9. They got one big egg from the Easter bunny and we hid 3 chocolate items (kinder egg, bag of buttons and Nutella pot) around the house with cryptic clues that took them ages to find. They loved it.

Northgate Sun 16-Apr-17 16:13:27

sound the wine plan sounds good grin

ThisIsStartingToBoreMe Sun 16-Apr-17 16:16:27

Why did you both buy Easter egg hunt kits?

NSEA Sun 16-Apr-17 16:19:05

I think you could have put some of his out as well maybe not all 50 but he probably feels his contribution is wasted now.

Northgate Sun 16-Apr-17 16:22:16

ThisIs Impulse buying from DH when he had gone to the shop for something else. He knew that I'd already bought an egg hunt kit.

HardcoreLadyType Sun 16-Apr-17 16:24:30

My DC used to get so much chocolate at Easter, they were still eating it in August, at which point they'd get tired of it, and ask me to use it in cooking.

What will you do with the 50 extra eggs, if you don't use them for the hunt, though? You might as well put them out, now they've been bought.

It was silly of him to get so many, but it's done, now.

chocolateworshipper Sun 16-Apr-17 16:26:51

Put some of DH's ones out, but not all of them. Then he'll feel like he contributed, which is probably what he's actually after.

tigermoll Sun 16-Apr-17 16:47:08

Hang on...isn't setting out the "large golden egg" and an odd number of bags of tiny carrots/eggs for TWO children just asking for trouble? Unless your 3 and 5 year old are astoundingly good at sharing grin

I would remove the star prize egg and one bag. And eat them myself.

KurriKurri Sun 16-Apr-17 16:47:57

If you put all those out it'll be less 'hunt the egg' and more 'hunt the garden' grin

ThumbWitchesAbroad Sun 16-Apr-17 16:50:07

That's plenty.
I had a box of 20 large chicken size hollow eggs, and a bag of Cadbury's small chocolate eggs (16 in there) for my 9yo and 4yo to find. 18 eggs in all each, plus what they were given by us as well (one large egg, one rabbit and some small eggs)

It will take them over a week to eat what they have as it is - couldn't have given them any more!

SocksRock Sun 16-Apr-17 17:01:07

We had 20 small choc eggs each for 4 children. Was plenty.

BrucesTooth Sun 16-Apr-17 17:09:09

I feel positively Scrooge-like! We did a egg hunt with 15 hard boiled hens eggs we decorated yesterday, with 2 small (mini egg sized) foiled eggs with each as well as letters that spelled out location of main egg (a £1 hollow egg with sweets each) for 2 and 4 yr old. They also got one biggish egg each from one set of GPs (others sent money in card as haven't seen them before Easter).
I'd use some of the 50 for the hunt and use the rest to make a cake or something.

EineKleine Sun 16-Apr-17 17:13:30

That's plenty, but it would have been nicer of you to use some from each set rather than all the things you bought and none of his.

crazywriter Sun 16-Apr-17 17:20:16

That's plenty but I'd take out the big one (you're asking for trouble with just 1 big egg for 2 to find) and put out a couple of his smaller ones. He'll want to feel like his contribution is appreciated. It may have been an impulse buy but by using yours and not thinking of any of his, you're telling him that it's a waste of time contributing to something like this.

But I don't think children need 30+ eggs each! That's a ridiculous amount regardless of it being Easter. Unless they want to melt their eggs for baking. What kids at 3 and 5 want to do that?

NightWanderer Sun 16-Apr-17 17:20:25

Gosh, I only did 6 chicken-egg sized hollow eggs each. It was plenty.

AgainstTheOddsNo2 Sun 16-Apr-17 17:27:14

Dd got a fair whack of chocolate. We also pilot out some of those little plastic eggs and put small chocolate animals inside (milky bar ones about 2 ins tall) . Dd gas eaten 2 said animals today and is surprised I let her eat them when she wants.

The chocolate is going to last till Xmas at that rate..

I am not a massive bitch I promise! I would have let her eat an egg if she asked!

AgainstTheOddsNo2 Sun 16-Apr-17 17:27:57

Sodding autocorrect. You know what I mean...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now