Talk

Advanced search

Train AIBU

(10 Posts)
relaxo Sun 16-Apr-17 14:36:54

I'm currently sitting in the quiet carriage of a Virgin train. There is a sign that says "Please do not use mobile phones or create unnecessary noise."

A woman has told off another for making a loud phone call. Told off woman has asked other woman why my son's not being told off. He's playing games on a mobile phone with sound off and no vibration.

Technically he's using a phone but AIBU to think that the sign means not to make phone calls and playing games on a phone without sound/vibration is ok?

Unpropergrammer Sun 16-Apr-17 14:37:48

Yanbu

VimFuego101 Sun 16-Apr-17 14:38:50

YANBU. It's the quiet carriage, not the no games carriage. What your son is doing is no different to reading on a Kindle.

wasonthelist Sun 16-Apr-17 14:38:59

YANBU I cannot see any objection to a game played that is making no sound - would they moan if you were playing cards (quietly)?

StillDrivingMeBonkers Sun 16-Apr-17 14:40:26

Ask her why she is dragging you into her mess?

TestingTestingWonTooFree Sun 16-Apr-17 14:40:44

Told off woman is a twat.

NotTheDuchessOfCambridge Sun 16-Apr-17 14:45:19

Quiet carriage is where you keep noise to a minimum. No phone calls, music or loud conversations. Your son is fine, the game is on silent and it's keeping him quiet.

halobean Sun 16-Apr-17 14:50:17

What a pedant! Everyone knows it means not to use your phones loudly. Texting, mumsneting and any other silent activity is obviously fine.

Sn0tnose Sun 16-Apr-17 14:55:03

I think that Told Off woman is probably embarrassed because she knows she's in the wrong, so is trying to deflect her own behaviour onto your DC.

I hate having to listen to other people's music, text alerts etc and will always book the quiet carriage if travelling but would have absolutely no problem with a child playing an electronic game with no noises. She's being

Sn0tnose Sun 16-Apr-17 14:56:35

Pressed post too soon.

She's being an arse.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now