Talk

Advanced search

Doubting myself - or should I tell people to wind their necks in?

(8 Posts)
HensLooseAboutDaHoose Sun 16-Apr-17 13:47:47

DS is 9 and has been diagnosed as having a mild form of ASD.

He looks and acts like the average NT child , but his traits do have an impact on his home life and he is anxious over things other NT children would not.

My family (my mother and MIL specifically) are in complete denial and tell me I'm overreacting and looking for issues in him hmm

They're so convinced he's fine I'm now doubting myself and wondering if I've made a huge mistake .

Is it normal to doubt yourself about this ?

Toysaurus Sun 16-Apr-17 14:47:58

Yes totally. My DS has ASD. I knew he did for a long time before diagnosis. But there were times when I'd look at him and think he was completely NT. But there were other times when he was text book autistic.

I've had every possible comment from family members too. It's not helpful and I filter them out and ignore.

MrsTwix Sun 16-Apr-17 15:00:24

I'm assuming your DM and DMIL are not doctors. Just ignore them. They don't see what you see, and you getting him diagnosed sooner rather than later is the best thing for him. I wish I had known much younger about my ASD, I feel better just for knowing why if that makes sense.

Sn0tnose Sun 16-Apr-17 15:07:59

I don't have children myself, so I'm clearly not a parenting expert, but I'd think that it was highly unlikely that medical professionals would be handing out diagnoses of ASD, however mild, unless they were totally sure that the child did indeed have ASD. You can't have made a mistake because it wasn't you who diagnosed him. You know your child better than your family 💐

BlackeyedSusan Sun 16-Apr-17 15:14:27

yeah because you can order an asd diagnosis on the internet just to claim benefits and your free goat and all that. hmm [sarcastic]

if he has been diagnosed he bloody well has it. just because he is managing okish now does not mean he is not feeling anxious or finds things more difficult etc.

Miniwookie Sun 16-Apr-17 15:26:37

My dd has a genetic condition which causes a range of probs including learning difficulties. We have a print out of her DNA test showing a chunk of a chromosome missing, but we have still had family asking whether we were sure she really had the condition or did docs still think she had it! It's annoying, but just try to ignore.

TestingTestingWonTooFree Sun 16-Apr-17 15:30:54

Did someone on the checkout at Tesco diagnose him or was it hcps? Ignore your family, they're talking bollocks.

HecateAntaia Sun 16-Apr-17 15:33:20

you didnt diagnose him yourself! people whose job it is to assess children did that.

despite what the idiots out there think, its actually quite hard to get a dx .

by saying he doesnt have asd they are saying the professionals who did the assessment and made the dx are crap at their jobs.

i swear some people think a parent just rocks up to a dr , says hey, ive decided my kid has autism and the dr replies oh ok then fair enough. here's a certificate.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now