Talk

Advanced search

Victorian Mumsnet

(341 Posts)
PlayOnWurtz Sun 16-Apr-17 11:44:20

Brought over from another thread...

AIBU to think I've left it too late by starting my ds in the mining profession at 5?

How old is too old to go up chimneys?

What size coal is right for my fire?

ZackyVengeance Sun 16-Apr-17 11:47:38

AIBU to be take dd out of school, she is 8 and what good will learning do for a girl. I want to put her in service as a maid.

HRHTiggyD Sun 16-Apr-17 12:51:00

My DS Jack wants to become a ripper. Any advice?

treaclesoda Sun 16-Apr-17 12:54:09

I was at an afternoon tea the other day and I noticed that one of the ladies wasn't wearing a corset. AIBU to judge? Is this a thing now?

SootSprite Sun 16-Apr-17 12:54:51

Our daughter has always been a bit different to other children, a bit loud and uncontrolled. I'm doing the right thing by locking her in an attic room right?

user1491572121 Sun 16-Apr-17 12:55:20

AIBU to consider visiting a teashop as an unacompanied female? I am betrothed and my husband to be thinks it would not be a suitable place to meet my dear friend of many years.

She is rather "fast" and has upon occassion said some quite...risque things regarding ladies and voting.

My beloved is worried my head will be turned or my reputation damaged if I meet my friend for tea one afternoon but she says it is something all modern young ladies are doing.

Is she right?

iklboo Sun 16-Apr-17 12:57:24

My bedchamber maid used the wrong bedwarming pan last night. How many thrashes of the switch should I give her. She's 7 so it's not like she's a child for goodness' sake!

treaclesoda Sun 16-Apr-17 12:58:14

AIBU to have washed my DD's mouth out with soap and water, after I had administered suitable corporal punishment? I simply won't allow coarse language in my house.

user1491572121 Sun 16-Apr-17 12:58:28

Treacle it IS a thing and only in the most dangerous of circles. The group of artists who made this prepostorous fashion, are a shocking and degenerate bunch. Laudnum and opium are like tea and cake to them!

user1491572121 Sun 16-Apr-17 12:59:28

Ik Just send her back to the workhouse and get a new one. Don't waste your good switches on it.

IAmAmy Sun 16-Apr-17 13:01:17

AIBU to encourage daughters to marry well into wealth?

KavvLar Sun 16-Apr-17 13:01:27

Shortlist of baby names.

Peregrine
Eustace
Cyril

Too common? Don't want my precious to be "Eustace 'S'" at school.

treaclesoda Sun 16-Apr-17 13:01:29

user so it is as I feared. sad I may have to re-think accepting future invitations from these people. I have teenage daughters and I would worry about their marriage prospects if it became known that I was spending time in unsuitable company myself.

0dfod Sun 16-Apr-17 13:01:33

Aibu to send dc's off to beg dressed in coal sacks? I am wondering if they would be warm enough? Dss would make a fab pick-pocketer grin

MrsMoastyToasty Sun 16-Apr-17 13:02:12

Where can one purchase decent intimate apparel? I went to the local Marks and Spencer emporium and the chit of a girl suggested a corset more suitable for a lady with less decolletage.

IAmAmy Sun 16-Apr-17 13:03:07

Who are Marks and Spencer and pray tell how you entered them?

Fauchelevent Sun 16-Apr-17 13:05:25

AIBU or is he? My DH claims he caught my DD (she's 21) dtd with her good friend. He thinks we should have a word about respect and privacy but I think he must have misinterpreted as ladies do not do these things with other ladies. Perhaps her a hem on her petticoat had come loose.

Pinkandwhiteblossoms Sun 16-Apr-17 13:06:40

WIBU to shop DP to the police?

Please don't judge me - I know we should be married. It's a long story but me writing skills ain't up to much. I fell in love wiv a wrongun, wiv a dog. Turned a blind eye to it as you do. I knew in me heart ov hearts 'e was up to no good but I was there as long as 'e needs me. Running some sort of pickpocket thing on the sly. You 'av to understand how 'ard it was, a woman on her own needs a man. Until the pickpocket escaped and we was all panicking, like, fair thought we'd be 'anged. I somehow got involved wiv kidnapping this little boy. Me conscience says I should 'elp the little boy but me 'eart says I should stay wiv me man. What should I do?

BreakfastAtSquiffanys Sun 16-Apr-17 13:08:00

I am LITERALLY having the vapours at the minute!
Apparently I showed an inch too much ankle getting out of my carriage yesterday and now my reputation is in tatters.

Will I ever redeem myself and find a husband?
I was already worrying about being left on the shelf as I am already one and twenty years old and no betrothal insight.

Mombie2016 Sun 16-Apr-17 13:09:34

Anyone know where I can get this Godfreys cordial from?

user1491572121 Sun 16-Apr-17 13:11:56

PinkandWhite I reckon's I know you from yer description and right enough I feel yer pain in me own eart...but I knows your Bill an' all. Yer'd ave' ter be mad ter shop im'. E'd throttle the angman soon as die afore e' got is' revenge on yer!

Leave well alone!

ErrolTheDragon Sun 16-Apr-17 13:12:41

Don't want my precious to be "Eustace 'S'" at school

shock What sort of strange 'progressive' school refers to a child by his Christian name, rather than correctly as, for example, 'Smithers minor'? confused

StorminaBcup Sun 16-Apr-17 13:15:13

AIBU? I want a safe fitting in our cellar to keep any valuables in that we might procure in future. Dh says it's a waste of time as we don't have any valuables and I'll only lose the key, so we'll end up with a useless empty box that nobody can open. WIBU?

BreakfastAtSquiffanys Sun 16-Apr-17 13:15:48

Style and Beauty
Thread title - Show us your waists!
Here's a watercolour sketch of my 19 inch waist.
I think I still look a bit buxom and would like to get it down to 18" if I can just stop fainting.

user1491572121 Sun 16-Apr-17 13:16:03

Breakfast the best course of action is a religious mania. See a vision...speak in toungues....not one decent member of polite society will mention the ankle issue again.

(Lord forgive me for writing the word ankle)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now