Talk

Advanced search

To take my child with chicken pox out?

(63 Posts)
emmabrown123 Sun 16-Apr-17 08:42:48

Totally prepared for being told I'm being unreasonable. It's day 7 of my 2 year olds chicken pox, I also have a 7 month old who is showing no signs of having them yet.

We are going stir crazy!! I would love to take hem both out somewhere for the day - to the zoo, to the park, anywhere really!!

2 year olds pox aren't all scabbed over yet. Would be a massive no no to take him to a public place?

Or does anyone have any suggestions of where we could go and have minimal public contact?!!

Oysterbabe Sun 16-Apr-17 08:46:20

Yes you would be very unreasonable. Would you be comfortable with the risk of infecting a pregnant woman and her child having serious birth defects?

lasttimeround Sun 16-Apr-17 08:47:11

Yes

Snap8TheCat Sun 16-Apr-17 08:47:21

Of course you are. And you know it.

Katurah Sun 16-Apr-17 08:47:40

Very unreasonable. I'm pregnant and haven't had chicken pox. Your actions could have serious consequences.

My son had chicken pox over Christmas. It ruined nearly all of all plans but that's just how it is I'm afraid.

insancerre Sun 16-Apr-17 08:47:55

Day 7 is normally past the contagious stage
5 days is the exclusion period for schools etc

LoudestRoar Sun 16-Apr-17 08:48:24

Massive no no, I'm afraid. The consequences of you wanting to get out the house rather than wait a few more days could be devastating to someone else...

Lunar1 Sun 16-Apr-17 08:48:34

I can't believe you need to ask to be honest!

upperlimit Sun 16-Apr-17 08:48:50

Yes, it would be unreasonable. Just tough it out.

Sirzy Sun 16-Apr-17 08:49:08

If they aren't scabbed over then yes you would be unreasonable!

Icantstopeatinglol Sun 16-Apr-17 08:49:16

Until the spots are all scabbed over I wouldn't go out in a public place. It's not worth the risk.

RainbowPastel Sun 16-Apr-17 08:49:55

Very unreasonable. It can have serious consequences for immunocompromised children. My healthy child ended up on a drip in hospital.

modelcat Sun 16-Apr-17 08:50:45

Very unreasonable. It would be irresponsible and selfish as you could infect someone who is immunocompromised with serious consequences.

It's a pita to have to stay in, but you know that's what you have to do until both children are not infectious.

ShowOfHands Sun 16-Apr-17 08:50:46

My friend has a compromised immune system. Your need to be outside could kill her. As long as you're fine with this.

SilverdaleGlen Sun 16-Apr-17 08:51:11

Just don't do where my cousin on her last lap of chemo is please.

emmabrown123 Sun 16-Apr-17 08:51:31

Fair enough - sort of thought that's what you'd all say.

They should open a 'infected kids' playground for the holidays!

Any ideas of what I can with him?! Literally have exhausted all my resources over the last 7 days.

3boys3dogshelp Sun 16-Apr-17 08:51:53

Ywbu sorry.

Astro55 Sun 16-Apr-17 08:52:02

Can cause deafness and blindness in unborn babies

Don't risk it -

rumblingDMexploitingbstds Sun 16-Apr-17 08:52:02

Sigh. Yes of course.

Do cost me five weeks earnings as happened last time I got chicken pox, again, with a compromised immune system, after all the poor child's bored.

kingscrossnoodle Sun 16-Apr-17 08:52:16

Day 7 is normally past the contagious stage 5 days is the exclusion period for schools etc

Have never heard of this confused

NHS advice is until all spots have scabbed over.

OP sorry you are bored but that's life I'm afraid.

DeathMetalMum Sun 16-Apr-17 08:52:24

Yes you would bu.

Schools ask for all pox to be crusted over, says on NHS website the same also. My daughter unfortunately had to miss a whole week of school last term due to chicken pox. Had to cancel her birthday party and lots of other plans over the half term a week and a half later as dd2 came down with it.

rumblingDMexploitingbstds Sun 16-Apr-17 08:52:50

Sorry, cross post OP. It's a bit of a sensitive issue for obvious reasons.

Yes. You would be risking other people's health!

BanginChoons Sun 16-Apr-17 08:54:03

Yabu. They have the rest of their lives to go out to busy places. Don't put others at risk for the sake of a few days stuck in bored.

MoveOnTheCards Sun 16-Apr-17 08:54:21

Totally U until every spot has scabbed. But the fact you've posted suggets you know that.

Sorry, hope your LO is better soon and the cabin fever abates!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now